Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii island hopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-island-hopping-411648/)

sweet_lou Mar 16th, 2004 09:39 AM

Hawaii island hopping

Hello. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in November of this year and was wondering what the best way is to get around from island to island. Ideally, we would like to hit four islands-- Oahu, Maui, Kaui, and the big island. Are there any flight packages for inter-island flying? Do any airlines combine a flight from the mainland to the islands with an inter-island package? I guess I'm just looking for the cheapest option.

Also, I heard that it is possible to rent a car for the time you're down there and just check in and pick up a different vehicle at each island under the same rental contract. Is this true? What companies do this?

Thanks for your help!

HappyLC Mar 16th, 2004 10:57 AM

There used to be coupon packs of 6 flights that could be used by different people, but that has been discontinued. Aloha Airlines gives a 25% discount to AAA members (could make it worth joining if you're not a member). There are also 7 day passes which run $351 for unlimited flights on 7 consecutive days. (I don't think this would be economical if you are only making four flights).

jchop Mar 16th, 2004 10:43 PM

I hopped between Oahu and the Big Island and was not able to find a car company that would give my one contract. I heard that it was possible but I was never able to turn up a company that would let me do this. Good luck and have a great trip!

ribar55 Mar 17th, 2004 01:46 PM

Call the two airlines that provide the inter-island service, Aloha and Hawaiian.They can answer your questions. Don't know of any car rental companies that provide that kind of service.

Kal Mar 17th, 2004 03:55 PM

We used to "hop"...now we "plop".

"Kauai no ka oi"...but go to Maui since there's nothing to do and no nightlife on Kauai. :-"

viking Mar 17th, 2004 04:10 PM

Used to be able to get an island hopping car contract from one of the hotel chains, but of course that would limit sleep options. Think it was Outrigger (now split into Ohana as well) or Aston.

viking Mar 17th, 2004 04:12 PM

P.S. check chain hotel web sites - I think most recently this came in form of free car with any hotel stay.

Pumpy Mar 17th, 2004 05:36 PM

FYI- be prepared to lose 1/2 day each time you hop islands.

sweet_lou Mar 17th, 2004 07:31 PM

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions and advice!

lahainaluna Mar 21st, 2004 04:09 PM

Try to book your interisland flights early in the morning or in the afternoon. Most people fly from 10am to 2pm and it makes it more crowded at the airport and the car rental counters.

On Maui if you are staying on the Kapalua-Lahaina side, fly into the Kapalua airport instead of Kahului. It saves the 45 minute drive and there are not the big crowds. It is almost as if they open the airport for your filght of 20 or so people and then close down afterwards. A lot more convenient.

Have fun!