Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HAWAII in June: Which Islands To Visit For Our Family Vacation?

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

We last visited Hawaii in 1998, before kids. We went to Oahu and took a day trip to Kauai.

Now, my husband, daughter (10), son (8), and I are planning to vacation in Hawaii for 10-14 days around mid-June. We are looking for a tropical, beachy, relaxing trip that includes: adventure/excursions, spa time, swimming, surfing, snorkeling, relaxing, delicious vegan food. We want nice accommodations, with a little bit of luxury, without being too over-the-top. I'm a total germaphobe and clean freak, who inspects our rooms before we settle in. I need nicely appointed, clean accommodations, in order to relax. We don't mind spending on a nice room/suite/place to come back to at the end of a full day of activities. So, my questions are as follows:

1. Which islands should we visit?

2. How should we split our time between the islands you suggest?

3. Where should we stay, on the islands you suggest?

4. What is the best way for us to enjoy the activities that I mentioned?

If there are any other details that I can provide to help you make recommendations for us, then let me know.

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:45 PM

Every one of the islands offers what you seek. Nothing you request points to or eliminates any of the islands.

Before my first trip to Hawaii, I checked out hard copy guidebooks from the library to look at photos, maps, read about each one.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 03:48 PM

Suze is quite right, none of your criteria rule out any of the islands. You need to learn more about the various islands, and choose the one or two that appeal to you. I'd suggest you choose one or two islands, so you have time to settle in and relax.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 10:51 PM

The islands offer lots of variety. With children in the picture, I would look for condo. VRBO offers a lot of variety and I have used them a lot. Condos offer more room, kitchen for the option of eating in or just for making popcorn! Even if you rent a condo, you can always head to a super hotel/resort for your spa time. Better decide soon as June is a busy month. I wouldn't go to more than 2 islands if you are staying 2 weeks, if 10 days I would stick with one and enjoy it to the max. Personally my favorite is Kauai for the sheer beauty but if you night life people, Kauai doesn't offer much of that. HIking, bike riding, swimming, horseback riding, zip lining, snorkeling, beaches pretty much says it all to me on Kauai
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 02:50 AM

For me, I'd split my time between Maui and Kauai, and stay in condos.

Maui offers a lot of diversity for activities. Of course, everyone who stays there has a favorite spot for accommodations. For me, it's Wailea/Kihei, where there are lots of shops, restaurants, etc., and easy access by car to other activities (such as Road to Hana) on the island.

For a change, I'd probably spend the rest of the time near the Princeville area of Kauai. Quieter, but still accessible by car to other parts of the island.
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Kal

We've been to Kauai 3x in June. While we usually stay on the ugly Coconut Coast (Kapaa) during our Nov/Dec or Jan visits we split our time in June between Princeville and Kapaa.

We go over in June for these two "adventures" your family may enjoy:

http://www.hanaleicanoeclub.org/page...haena-run.html

And....

http://www.tasteofhawaii.com/

We've done the 8 miler 2x. Hanalei Canoe Club runs a great event. I walk it and The Lovely Mrs Kal runs it (show off).

Hiking, ziplining and horseback riding there, too as well as some of the nicest beaches on the island in the summer.

Lot of good, clean condos up in P'ville.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 09:25 AM

June is nice all over Hawaii, however...any time mainland schools are on holiday it's busy in Hawaii. You could stay on two islands, or just one. Are you interested in the historic and city sights of Honolulu? You could split between Waikiki and north or eastern shores on Oahu. You'd save the 4 - 5 hours in transit between islands.

Most nice condos on Kauai's most gorgeous north shore are probably already booked. You may find availability in Poipu. Kauai and Big Island are the two less developed islands. I like at least ten nights for Big Island, split between the Kohala Coast and Volcano.

South Maui has been our *winter* home for many years. In summer, you could be happy in South or West Maui. (South is more convenient for touring the island; see a map.) June is also a good season for a few nights Hana.

I recommend condos for families. There's more space, privacy, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a washer/dryer, and a non-postage-stamp lanai. You can skip rising at dawn to 'reserve' your chaise at a hotel's pool. Few condos have any 'resort' fees or parking fees. No tipping around every corner.

Look for condos on VRBO or through rental agents.

I like this site for its lodging section: www.hawaiirevealed.com I don't like their intrusive tour ideas.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Kal

I don't like their intrusive tour ideas..

Well said.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the detailed responses and specific suggestions!!! They are much appreciated!

UPDATE: So, we're looking at mid-June, 10-14 days total, split between Kauai and Maui (in that order).

If we shot for the middle and vacationed for 12 days, then would 5 on Kauai and 7 on Maui suffice???
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Day One in Hawaii is largely adjusting to the time change. No departure day is a full vacation day. Each transit between islands can consume 4 - 5 hours, door to door (more if you're staying far from the airport -- like Princeville on Kauai or Kapalua on Maui).

You will get a better rate on a condo for a stay of at least a full week -- and it makes more sense to provision for at least that long. Car rentals may also be a better deal for at least a week.

Can you fly into Kauai and home from Maui, or the reverse, or must you fly via HNL (adds another interisland flight).

For a first-time visit, if you have only ten nights, I'd just stay Maui. You could split two weeks between Kauai and Maui as you suggested.

I buy 'single ticket' for the whole round trip. The airline will make it right for you if they cause you to miss a connection.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:26 PM

>>If we shot for the middle and vacationed for 12 days, then would 5 on Kauai and 7 on Maui suffice???
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 11:46 AM

That will work since as was pointed out you will usually get a better rate booking a condo for a full week. In fact many flights back to the mainland leave pretty late at night so I would book an extra night at a condo so you have a place to shower and change and are not "homeless" your last day.