Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii in April - Help on itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-in-april-help-on-itinerary-774377/)

paryatak Mar 21st, 2009 06:09 PM

Hawaii in April - Help on itinerary

Hi Fodorites,

We are planning a 4-6 days trip to Hawaii in 3rd week of april.We stay in bay area,CA.

Please help me on making our itinarary.We are a couple in mid 30s.We are not much into water sports or clubs/party types.Mostly interested in cultural experience and natural beauty.

Also any thoughts on hotels,airlines appreciated.

Thanks,
P.

montereybob Mar 21st, 2009 08:37 PM

For only 4-6 days you should only do one island, otherwise too much of your time will be used up getting to and from airports and to and from hotels. For the most natural beauty nothing compares to Kauai. However, in second place would be Maui. The helicopter tour of Kauai is one of the most breathtaking experiences with natural beauty you will ever have. For advice on hotels, the best books are: The Ultimate Guide to Kauai or Maui Revealed both by the same author -- Doughty.

Have fun!

Placename Mar 21st, 2009 09:14 PM

I honestly don't think it'w worth going to Hawaii for only 4 days, so only go if you can go for 6 days. It's about 5+ hours from SF so the plane flight eats up most part of a day.

Kaui is very beautiful and tropical. Personally, I like Maui for a first-time visit, because of the beautiful beaches. I don't know what "not much into watersports" really means. Not every one who loves Hawaii surfs or dives. For me, the beach and the wonderful water is such a divine part of Hawaii that I wouldn't miss out on it. If you have a real desire to see a really interesting cultural/geologic site, then you can't beat the Hawaiian Volcano National Park on The Big Island of Hawaii. It is the newest island, so it is quite "raw" in terms of topography, and not everyone loves it. I suggest you get a good guidebook to determine what you really want out of your brief time.

Placename Mar 21st, 2009 09:16 PM

Oh- and mentioning a daily accomodation budget is really necessary to give you advice on accomodations. Go to Expedia.com to get an idea about package costs. They are often the best.

I know United flies daily from SFO to several Hawaiian islands, and is the predominant carrier from the Bay Area.

climber45 Mar 22nd, 2009 02:33 AM

we have been to the big island many times and have only spent 4or 5 days there.You can't cramp the whole island into that time but there are many things to see.stick to either the kona side or the hilo side and save the rest for another time.Lot of history on both sides.It often takes us 5- 6 hours to drive to a favorite ski area so the time getting there is the same and may only stay for 3 days. have fun

iamq Mar 22nd, 2009 07:28 AM

"Mostly interested in cultural experience and natural beauty."

If this is true, then I's spend the time on Oahu, visiting the many cultural sites around Honolulu and renting a car so you can visit the north shore (gorgeous) and other sites around the island. Many people write off Oahu as too busy and commercial. Those people have never really seen Oahu. The island is an amazing place with a wide variety of things to offer.

suze Mar 22nd, 2009 08:38 AM

I'd go to Oahu, and stay in Honolulu/Waikiki. This will maximize your short amount of time. It's an easy nonstop flight from SF. You could take day trips around the island, plus see the museums and historic sights like Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, Chinatown, ShangriLa estate.

paryatak Mar 22nd, 2009 09:33 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.Now I got some guideline to proceed further.

Thanks again.
P.

dusty56438 Mar 22nd, 2009 07:25 PM

I agree with 6 days.

But, coming from bay area there are some really good deals with 4 or 5 nights right now. So I would consider 4-5 days if I get a good deal. Its only about 4-5 hour flight from SFO.

I wouldn't consider 4-5 days if I had to spend 8 hours or more on a flight.

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands. The sites with free brochures for Oahu, Kauai, Big Island & Maui, you can order the brochures. You can also download the entire brochures now.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm