Hawaii, I'm trying

May 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Hawaii, I'm trying

A dear relative has decided to celebrate his milestone birthday in Hawaii. He made all of the arrangements(air& hotel) and so far 18 of his friends and family members will be going. He has phoned and emailed me repeatedly about attending this trip but for the life of me I cannot get excited about visiting Hawaii.

I do, I do, I do love to travel but I have never had a desire to visit Hawaii. As a matter of fact, the majority of my vacations usually take place on an island. I love the beach. The group plans on staying 8 nights in Oahu. That's too long for me to stay in one place.

If I go, I was thinking of visiting another island perhaps Maui and then joining the group in Oahu for the last 4 days. Oh, I don't know. I 'm just not excited about this at all. The trip is less than 2 months away and I haven't even made my travel arrangements. If I go, it's only because I don't want to disappoint my relative. Who knows, maybe I'll get there and really like it. I've read many of the Hawaiian post on this site and you all sound so excited and offer lots of information.
I'm also concerned about the group thing. I'm not big on group travel. Ugh! What's a girl to do other than stay home? Is there anyone else out there who never had a desire to visit the islands of Hawaii? I'm sure there are people who could care less about visiting the Grand Canyon or even countries in Europe. Love Greece, miss Metaxa.
May 23rd, 2006, 01:40 AM

ok then, just stay home.

OR if it makes it any easier, don't think of it as a trip to Hawaii. Think of it as a trip to visit your dear relative for a celebration that is obviously very important to him. His friends are probably not horrible people. I suppose that some of his relatives would also be relatives of yours? As far as the "staying in one place" thing consider the fact that if you DON'T go you will be spending those eight days in one place: at home.
May 23rd, 2006, 05:18 AM

Why don't you do the two island thing? I think you would find the differences very interesting. Maui is resorty, Big Island-lots of rocks, a volcano, great snorkeling, and Kauai (I have not been) is lush and tropical.
It depends on what you like to do. Oahu is a big city on a beach. It is very unique and there is more to Oahu than the city(Honolulu). I felt like I was in another culture and yet I was still in america. It is friendly and the beaches are very nice. We just returned from a vacation on the Big Island and it was so unique looking(rocky). I never saw anything like it. I did not enjoy going to the volcano and found it boring, BUT many people love this. I loved snorkeling with turtles and beautiful fish. We stayed at a large resort and I like that. There are many smaller ones too.
I think you should go and experience it for yourself. I can be a lot of fun. Try to look past the touristy stuff and enjoy the snorkeling, and the music or whatever you like to do.
May 23rd, 2006, 06:39 AM

I love Hawaii also. I'm hoping to get there in late August this year, maybe early Sept.

Where can a girl get Metaxa in the US? We've had it in Italy... yummmm
May 23rd, 2006, 06:50 AM

Well, at least you recognize the legitimacy of those who actually DO like Hawaii (unlike a certain poster ranting on and on and on here recently).

If you don't want to go then don't. Whatever you do, be honest about it and do NOt allow your reltiave to turn your desire not to go to Hawaii into an,"Oh, you really don't love us, do you?" guilt trip.
May 23rd, 2006, 06:51 AM

I'm with you summerluv. Things are a bit out of hand. Do you live in the States or elsewhere?

It has become fashionable in the US for relatives and friends to dream up trips for all sorts of reasons: birthdays, anniversaries, weddings etc. that ultimately make the invitees feel badly when they can't or don't want to attend.

The limitations are time, money and the desire to go there. Honestly, who wants to travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of dollars to spend 8 hard earned vacation days celebrating someone's birthday? It boggles the mind.

Whatever happened to a cake and a present?

I include weddings in this now. Why do couples have to inconvenience scores of people for "their special day"?

I think your instincts are very good. Stay home and send a lovely gift, visit him on his return and listen to all his stories about his vacation.

Then plan your own trip to Greece.
May 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
MaureenB

If you think it's important to go to your relative's wedding, I think that should be the deciding factor, as I am betting you would find things to love about Hawaii. Your instinct is good regarding no staying put for 8 days, especially in a big city. You could go to the north shore of Oahu, where there are much less-trafficked places, wild surf, etc. Or go to another island. Hawaii has something for everyone, it really does.

May 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

I was not at all interested in visiting Hawaii but went because my BIL was married there last year.

I loved it. It was beautiful. The hiking was great. The snorkeling was incredible. The food was good. The drinks were good. The Farmer's Markets were great. Boogie boarding was so much fun.

I like a very active vacation and Hawaii was perfect.
May 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responding. Your advice was indeed helpful even the one to "stay at home". Thanks for making me smile, Kakalena. You're right, these destination celebrations can get out of hand. By the way, I live in the US (VA). The rest of the group all live in the midwest. I think that if I'm having this much anxiety over taking a trip then perhaps I shouldn't go.
Now, to break the news to my relatives.