Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-honeymoon-471433/)

missyg176 Sep 1st, 2004 08:46 AM

Hawaii Honeymoon

Hi!! I have been reading this site almost everyday for the last 9 months since we booked hawaii and i think I have a pretty good plan now for where to go/ eat while in hawaii. We are going to Kauai, Ohau, and Maui. I would love to get some feedback on what I have planned!! Thanks in advance!!

Monday October 11th:
Arrive in Kauai at 2:07 pm, get luggage and rental car, go to Princeville Hotel
Dinner: Polynesian Café/Zelo?s - Hanalei (casual)

Tuesday October 12th:
Morning Activity: Relax at Pool, Kee Beach
Lunch: Bubba?s Burgers
Afternoon Activity: Napali Coast Sunset/Dinner Trip? Not sure which one?

Wednesday October 13th:
Morning Activity: Drive around island to: Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls, Spouting Horn
Lunch: Waimea Brewing Company, Jo Jo?s Clubhouse Shaved Ice
Dinner: Beach House ?(get a 6:00 reservation for table on water)

Thursday October 14th (Morning):
Breakfast: Eggberts (Kuhio Hwy, Coconut Marketplace)

Go to Ohau
Halekulani

Thursday October 14th (Afternoon):
Activity: Walk around Waikiki Beach, go to beach
Lunch: Dukes
Dinner: Alan Wongs

Friday October 15th:
Activity: Pearl Harbor/ USS Missori
Dinner: La Mer (Halekulani)

Saturday October 16th: Rent Car
Activity: Hike Diamond head, North Shore
Dinner: Haleiwa Joe?s Restaurant

Go to Maui
4 Seasons
Sunday October 17th Afternoon:
Activity: Explore area, relax, shops at Wailea
Dinner: Mama?s Fish House (sunset) Town of Pa?ia

Monday October 18th:
Breakfast: Breakfast buffet at 4S
Afternoon: walk around town of Lahina
Dinner: Old Lahina Luau (Lahina) 5:30

Tuesday October 19th:
Activity: Snorkeling (South Maui)
Dinner: Nick?s Fishmarket ? Kea Lani Hotel

Wednesday October 20th:
Breakfast: Gazebo Restaurant (Park at Napali Shores - South of Kapalua)
Activity: Kapalua (Ritz)/ Kanapali Beach
Afternoon Activity: Hotel Relax
Sarrento?s: 2980 S. Kihei Rd., Kihei

Thursday October 21st:
Lunch: Maui Onion (Renaissance Hotel)
Activity: Hotel relax ? Couples Massage
Dinner: Pacific O?s- sunset (Lahina)

Friday October 22nd:
Leave

Thanks!!

wtggirl Sep 2nd, 2004 07:30 PM

You are the second person I have seen on this site with a Hawaii itinerary that looks like one you are given when attending a convention. Wow! I have been in the travel business for over 13 years and planning is what I do for a living. But, I am amazed. Can you really have fun with every minute of every day planned? I am curious if you have done this before or if you over eager because you don't travel much. My opinion is to "kick back" during your vacation(at least for one day- no itinerary), otherwise the whole ambiance of Hawaii could be lost with this itinerary!

ch03 Sep 2nd, 2004 08:29 PM

My advice is to book your dinner reservations well in advance especially since you want sunset times. Also, if you want to be at your table to watch the sunset try 5:30.
I was on my honeymoon last Oct. in Kauai and Maui. I tried to make reservations a week in advance but it was not soon enough. Also, by 6 the sunset was past peak.
I know the beach house in kauai is know for the sunset view, but I would skip it and go to Roy's. There isn't a view but the best meal I had was there.
For your snorkeling activity in South Maui- the FS will give you snorkels and masks for an hr or two each day. There is a spot off of wailea beach to snorkel.

offlady Sep 2nd, 2004 08:56 PM

I would suggest you switch your dinners on Maui for the 20th & 21st. You will be on the west side on the 20th and can hang out until dinner at Pacific O's. Then on the 21st, you canstay in the south Maui area and have your dinner at Sarento's. It will save you a lot of driving back & forth both days.

BrendaM Sep 2nd, 2004 09:43 PM

I would not skip the Beach House on Kauai. The ambiance and view are hard to beat for any restaurant on Kauai. I think you will miss alot if you forego it. Yes, Roy's food is great, no question, but the Beach House food is also very good. I have never been disappointed. Also, Roy's is in a shopping center. Takes alot away from the Hawaii dining experience. Just my humble opinion. Hey, maybe you can manage to do both?

gerbertravel Sep 2nd, 2004 10:59 PM

I have been to Maui several times and have booked many honeymoon couples there over the years. My only suggestion is you are missing the best part of Maui...The Road to Hana and Seven Sacred pools!! I always buy a picnic lunch at Picnics and eat that when we get to the black sand beach in Hana. Then we take a walk to the secluded red sand beach. When the water hits the red sand it looks purple!! Then of course end at the seven sacred pools. Along your ride on the Road to Hana (through the rainforest) there is so much to see, cliffside views, lots of waterfalls, and private ponds with waterfalls and tarzan ropes. Many times it ended up being just me and my husband there. Very romantic. We usually continue all the way around the island so we don't circle back.
Also, is your snorkel trip to Molokini? There and then to see the Turtle's are the best locations.

Lahina is just some touristy shopping and places to eat. Nothing special.You won't nee dmuch time there Maybe do the volcano sunrise or bike ride down too. Very beautiful!!

Another wonderful thing to do is see Maui by helicopter. Over 80% of Maui can only be seen by air.

Good Luck with the rest of your planning and you will love it!!

If you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me. [email protected]

hmmm Sep 3rd, 2004 12:25 AM

Is Picnics in Paia, Maui still open? I second the vote for a trip to Hana. It's a full day, but a slice of a Hawaii going fast. Vistas, vegetation and lifestyle you won't see in south or west Maui. Won't see many bathing suits if you get to Red Sand Beach.

You can determine exact time of sunset through sunrisesunset.com. Suggest you make reservations for Mama's slightly after sunset. It faces north. Arrive early and drive a few hundred yards further east to watch surfers and sail boarders.

If you're looking for a memorable meal, sans view, on Kauai, you'd be hard pressed to beat A Pacific Cafe. And, if you make the trip to Kee and find parking, climb above to the trail head for some breathtaking views.

missyg176 Sep 3rd, 2004 09:01 AM

Hi!! Thank you very much for all of your great responses. I made an itinerary because I am a big planner and I love researching so its fun for me to do this.

I was going to do Road to Hana but since it is an all day trip after speaking with my fiancee I think we are probably going to forgo it so we can just relax more while in Maui and enjoy the great resort. I still may decide I want to do it last minute.

Ch03..when would you suggest I make the reservations? Now for a Oct Honeymoon?

Hmmm...thanks for the info about the sunset website, that is real good to know!!

Thanks again for all your input!!

here_today_gone2Maui Sep 3rd, 2004 09:43 AM

Picnics has ben gone for more than a year now. Cafe Mambo now is in that location.

But there are no sacred pools, and there are many more than seven. The proper name for this popular place is `Oheo Gulch.

humuhumunukunukupaua Sep 22nd, 2004 03:18 PM

Cafe Mambo is located where Picnics used to be and they make better sandwiches than ever before. I was sad when I heard there was not spinach nut burger (used to be a "must" for me when visiting Maui) but they suggested I tried the spinach nut falafel. It was sooooo good, we got more on the way back home. My kids had turkey, mayo, salad and bacon sandwiches and they, surprisingly enough, finished them all and still had room for the chips and cookies that come with the picnic. They also gave us chocolate covered macadamia nuts when we bought their cool hawaian coolers and you can also borrow their road to Hana CD, that made the trip ten times better. A big Thumbs up!!!

here_today_gone2Maui Sep 22nd, 2004 03:55 PM

FWIW, I noticed on Friday that Café Mambo now has "PICNICS" painted on their makai window and "CAFE MAMBO" on the one that is mauka of the front door. But, absolutely the Cafe Mambo fare is much better than is once was.

Lex1 Oct 2nd, 2004 01:05 AM

Humu:
is your name misspelled, or are you something other than a triggerfish?

here_today_gone2Maui Oct 2nd, 2004 12:15 PM

I think that would be a clam-snouted fish, as oppossed to the pig-snouted fish

paua=clam
pua`a=pig

ruffntumble Oct 2nd, 2004 06:11 PM

You might want to consider eating at the Halekulani's other restaurant, House without a Key. That is always our special dinner when we go there. It's outside with the music and dancers under the palm trees. Another place we really liked for lunch was Sam Choys Breakfast, Lunch and Crab.