Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-help-706538/)

jallard May 20th, 2007 06:54 AM

Hawaii Help

We are taking our first trip to Hawaii this summer and I am struggling with the decision of staying on Maui for 10 nights or staying in Maui 6 nights and going to either the Big Island or Lanai.
Our favorite thing to do is stay at five star resorts and enjoy the sun, pool and beach. We enjoy snorkeling, but are not super adventurous. We will probably do a few activities, but plan to stay at the beach most of the time. On Maui, I have the Four Seasons booked - I am struggling with staying there the whole time if we should go over to Lanai to stay at Manele Bay or going to the Big Island and stay the Fairmont Orchid. Thoughts/opinions??

jallard May 20th, 2007 06:55 AM

Should read: I am struggling with staying there the whole time or should we go over to Lanai to stay at Manele Bay or go to the Big Island and stay at the Fairmont Orchid. Thoughts/opinions??

suze May 20th, 2007 07:22 AM

It's impossible to say for someone else :-) I prefer to go to only 1 island each trip. Other people like a change mid-way.

volcanogirl May 20th, 2007 07:58 AM

With 10 days, I would do 2 islands. We went to Maui only for our honeymoon, and on our last trip, we did a split between BI and Kauai. It was great to see all the differences between the two, and 10 days gives you enough time to do it.

We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince on the BI and really loved it. It's elegantly understated, and its beach is one of the prettiest I've seen. We loved it. I haven't stayed at the Fairmont Orchid, so can't comment on that, but you can read reviews of all the hotels on tripadvisor.com.

iamq May 20th, 2007 08:45 AM

6/7 nights FS/3/4 nights Hotel Hana Maui.

beanweb24 May 20th, 2007 09:19 AM

The Four Seasons in Maui is gorgeous, and Spago remains one of our favorite restaurants.

We stayed 4 nights in S Kihei then moved to 3 nights in a VERY secluded bungalow on the North Shore near Huelo Point.

www.cliffsedge.com

I highly highly recommend the Bali Cottage.

The Cliffs Edge is very secluded and down a long bumpy unpaved road. We found it best to only go out once per day...which was fine because the Cliffs Edge was so gorgeous we never wanted to leave our view. There is a saltwater pool on the grounds. Easy to get to Paia and on the start of the Road to Hana so you beat all the other folks!

trippinkpj May 20th, 2007 09:24 AM

I like Iamq's suggestion, of a "split island visit". 2 very different locations on the same island. I want to do that sometime on both Maui and the Big Island.

Kealalani May 20th, 2007 03:24 PM

I prefer The Lodge rather than Manele. I love Lanai. I suggest you check with the hotle directly to make sure there are no conventions, as Manele does get them.

I would call 4S Maui and speak with the manager to see if perhaps they can get you into their BI property. I would not be surprised, that as a current 4S customer, they would try to oblige..

Kealalani May 20th, 2007 03:25 PM

Or go with the Hana recommendation! I have done it many times and love the area.