Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii - Expensive? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-expensive-42815/)

Vicki Apr 22nd, 1999 06:40 PM

Hawaii - Expensive?

We haven't checked with travel agent because it is not an option if it's too expensive. <BR> <BR>For our honeymoon, we were wondering if Hawaii is expensive as everyone says it is? We would be traveling from the Indiana so airfare might be expensive.....how about hotels? Any experiences? Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Jen Apr 23rd, 1999 04:09 AM

<BR>HI Vicki.....My husband and I are taking our first trip to Maui this summer. I did a lot of research and found a range of prices for a range of resorts and condos. Yes, it can be an expensive trip, but it can also be quite reasonable, depending where you stay. My advice to you would be to speak to your travel agent and tell her your budget so she can direct you accordingly. There are also many websites for Hawaii that will give you information on resorts and their rates. It is worth looking into. <BR> <BR>By the way, we are flying from NY and are staying 8 nights on Maui. The prices for airfare and hotel went from approximately $3000 - $5500, depending on resort, room choice, etc. These prices were for resorts. I know that there are some nice condos that are priced more reasonably. Staying in a condo would lower your expenses. If you'd like more specific info feel free to e-mail me. <BR> <BR>Remember, it is your honeymoon.....once in a lifetime. <BR> <BR>Jen

Irene Apr 23rd, 1999 04:55 AM

Vicki, My husband and I honeymooned in Oahu and Maui in '95. We had originally planned to go to Bermuda but it cost as much as going to Hawaii! <BR>We spent 10 days total and spent about <BR>$3000 for airfare, hotel and rental car. <BR>We spent 5 days at the Aston at the Waikiki Shore, the only condo which is on the beach(at least it was then). We had a view of Fort Derussy Park and the beach from our Lanai and watched the sunset every night from there. No room service but we didn't care. The condo was clean, spacious enough and had a washer and dryer which was great. <BR>In Maui we stayed at the Royal Lahaina, oceanfront, 9th or 10th floor. Again, right on the beach, watched the sunset most nights, etc. The room was big enough and clean. It's not an ultra deluxe place but it was more than adequate. We've been back there twice. <BR>If we hadn't wanted ocean views we could have spent a lot less. We booked through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays via our travel agent. Usually package deals are better than trying to buy the airfare separately (at least here on the East coast). It all depends on what you want for your honeymoon and how much you want to spend. So don't be intimidated by how expensive it might be. You might be suprised. It's certainly worth looking into anyway, even if you decide to go elsewhere. I read that the Asian recession is having an impact on their tourism so who knows? There might be some really good deals out there. <BR>It's a ten hour flight to go to Hawaii for us but I'd go back there in a heartbeat because I love the place so much. <BR>Good luck and congratulations! <BR>Irene <BR>

kristi Apr 23rd, 1999 05:32 AM

Hawaii doesn't need to be expensive, especially if you're not going during high season. ATA runs special airfare deals periodically from Chicago (I believe they also fly from Indianapolis). You can subscribe to their net fares at www.ata.com. <BR> <BR>We got our hotels through the Entertainment book at half price and stayed at very nice places. Once again if you're not going in high season, there are deals to be had. <BR> <BR>Once we were there, we didn't really find that everything was all that more expensive than back home. There are a lot of things to see and do in Hawaii that don't cost money and are a lot of fun-a trip to Volcanoes National Park, a drive to the top of Haleakala, the drive to Hana, Pearl Harbor, snorkeling off the beach.... <BR> <BR>You can also get cheap airfare between the islands-if you do a search on this website for Hawaii, this topic was recently addressed. <BR> <BR>Hope I've been helpful!

Jennifer Apr 23rd, 1999 07:13 AM

First, you need to set a budget and then decide from there. Hawaii can be done from $3,000 up. We used Pleasant Holidays through American Express travel and were very pleased. We spent our honeymoon on Maui in October '97. It cost us $4600 (including air from NYC) for 8 nights with a convertible car at the Maui Hyatt Regency (with full ocean view). You can go cheaper if you choose to and of course, what you spend on food is up to you. In the end, we spent an additional $1500-2000 on dinners, excursions, etc. Money well spent on a great honeymoon in paradise.

Emily Apr 23rd, 1999 07:32 AM

Here's how we saved money on Oahu: <BR>1. Bought the airline ticket as far in advance as possible. <BR>2. Stayed in a kitchenette suite at the Outrigger East in Waikiki ($66 a night with our Entertainment Book). <BR>3. Shopped for food in Chinatown and put it together in our kitchenete. <BR>4. Traveled around the island by bus (a complete circle-island tour for $1.00!) <BR>5. Bought our souvenirs at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. <BR>We had a wonderful time -- I hope you do, too!

Jon Apr 23rd, 1999 05:03 PM

Yes, Hawaii is expensive if you stay at the top luxury resort hotels. But staying at a cheap place in Hawaii still is more wonderful than going anyplace less gorgeous and accomodating. Meet with two or three travel agents, and look for the best deal. But be sure to ask whether the places they suggest are on the beach, whether they have air conditioning, and how old they are. <BR> <BR>LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site: <BR>http://www.mauihawaii.org <BR>(note it ends in org, not com) <BR>Jon <BR> <BR>

Cheryl Z. Apr 23rd, 1999 06:11 PM

<BR>Vicki - Hawaii can be very inexpensive and still wonderful. We've been going there for years, sometimes twice a year. Usually we go for 9-l0 days and with hotel AND airfare from Seattle, it's about $l,l00 to $l,500 for BOTH of us. This is either using a package deal, or a 50% discount on an Outrigger hotel using our local Entertainment book (which you can find alot of info about in previous posts) and getting the least expensive airfare we can get. Of course coming from Indiana will cost you a little more in airfare. We usually go in Jan. and Oct. Once we're there, we take advantage of the Hawaii Entertainment book and use that for lots of 2 for one dinners etc. There's lots of discounts for local sightseeing in the book too. Another thought, if it's sun, beach and wonderful weather you want, how about checking into what Cancun Puerto Vallarta would cost. Those destinations often offer cheaper airfares from the midwest. Mexico is very inexpensive, and both those destinations are great. We've been to both many times, mainly PV. You really should just check with some travel agencies - tell them your desires and your budget. They can usually come up with something. Besides the above posters info - something else to consider; just go for 9-l0 days as opposed to two weeks.

Ruth Apr 23rd, 1999 08:10 PM

#1. go to Kauai...very romantic and quiet and lush. no nightlife to speak of but great for romance. less expensive than other islands. <BR> <BR>#2. look into ATA for air...as one of the previous posters mentioned. ATA runs nonstop to San Francisco from Indianapolis....cheap...and then you can go on to Hawaii. ATA also goes from SF to Honolulu. Catch interisland to Kauai. <BR> <BR>#3. Go to Frommer's Budget travel for places to stay <BR> <BR>http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kauai/ <BR> <BR> <BR>If you book a condo, you save with breakfasts and lunches. Go to local grocery and buy the six dollar cereals and some fruit and milk. Eat picnics each day at some gorgeous waterfall or beach! Splurge every other night a a great restaurant...but eat at a Maui Taco or some such fish taco joint on the off nights. Great fresh fish or a saimen noodle dinner. Cheap, nutritious and good. <BR> <BR>Hike the trails and rent at Snorkel Bob's...boogie boards and snorkel equipment to throw in the back of your car. That is about all one does in Hawaii. Snorkel, boogie, hike and beach it. <BR> <BR>We rented a house on the north side of Kauai for $900 for a week. HUGE...near beaches. Spent each day exploring. Went in late Sept. <BR> <BR>#4: Go OFF season. <BR> <BR>It is the eating out that kills the budget. You can find great , cheap stays and car rental and air packages. <BR> <BR> <BR>If you get real frustrated with trying to do Hawaii...I suggest Sanibel Island in Florida for a honeymoon. Again...off season. <BR> <BR>Crystal clear, blue waters like Caribbean and Hawaii. Great shelling, eating out...near a city of sorts and easy airfare again from ATA (Indianapolis to Ft. Myers). Powder white sand and if you go in fall ...no people. You can drive over to Miami for a day trip to check it out. Lots of nature stuff. J. Ding Darling park for exotic flora and you can do sunset cruises, dolphin cruises and shelling cruises right out your front door. Call the South Seas Resorts ....AAA has them in book. (or go on internet) <BR> <BR>Otherwise...do Hawaii. <BR> <BR>Good luck and have fun!

charlie Apr 25th, 1999 06:44 AM

The wife & I are going to Maui in Sept.99 for 14 nights.We are in the Philadelphia area and our package includes,r/t air,14 nts.at Maui Marriot & 14 day rental car.Price for two is $2900,a great deal I think,of course you must add your meals,sightseeing,etc.,but those items are easily controled.There are bargins to be found if you shop around. Have a safe trip !