Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Entertainment Book (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-entertainment-book-683655/)

sk84fungirl Feb 28th, 2007 06:10 AM

Hawaii Entertainment Book

Hello Fodorites.

Let me start this post by saying that this is not my first post, I do not work for "Entertainment", and I am not looking for any type of free advertisment. Tee hee, that's my disclaimer.

I just received my 07 HI Entertainment book. My first visit to HI, I did not have one. However, I found many coupons online and various other places for Oahu. My second trip, I went to Maui and purchased the book online before I left. It was great as we were there five days and definitely got our $15 back just by renting a car. I then included what was left of the book in a Hawaii wedding pkg for a friend. Gave her the book, a journal made in Hawaii, a Hawaiian beach bag, restaurant gift certificate, etc. It was an awesome gift that she actually used on her honeymoon.

Now, I just wanted to share the names of some of the activities, hotels, and restaurants listed in the book for those of us that are going soon and interested to know if it is worth the money. (Yea, yea...I know this is on the website, but I wanted to share with those that have been so helpful to me).

Oahu Hotels: Aqua, Aston, Castle, Dobuletree, HHV, Hyatt, Ohana, Outrigger, Resortquest, Sheraton, Turtle Bay

Activities: Pearl Harbor Tour, Zoo, Bishop Museum, Paradise Cove, Island Hoppers, Diving, Sea Life Park, etc.

Restaurants: Don Ho's, Nick's Fishmarket, Blue Hawaii - the show, Charthouse, Wendy's, KFC, etc

And of course there are Rental Car agency coupons that can be used not just in Hawaii, but pretty much anywhere there is an agency adn they don't expire until the end of the year. Note that the majority of the coupons in the book expire 11/1/07.

I truly hopes this helps for those that are trying to determine whether you want the book.

Have a great day.

Mikensha Feb 28th, 2007 07:38 AM

I'm going to Kauai in June and wondered if it would be a good idea to buy this book. Does the 2007 Entertainment Book offer any coupons/discounts for any Kauai hotels and restaurants? Or any discount coupons for activities in Kauai?

iceeu2 Feb 28th, 2007 09:20 AM

There are so few for Kauai, that it probably wouldn't be worth it for you. Unless the car rental coupons might make it worthwhile.

Best thing, if there is someone not going to Kauai or using their Kauai coupons they could send them to you. There are only 3 coupon for Kauai in the book...one is 25% off Air Kauai Helicopter(you can have mine), one is for a tour of the sugar cane fields and the other is for some snorkel gear.

Now, last time I did save enough on the car rental to justify buying the book. This time I have found the best rental rates thru Costco.

colombiana Feb 28th, 2007 11:50 AM

sk84fungirl:
Thank you very much for sharing all this great information, I was one of those wondering if it would be "worth it" I think I posted a questions about this, lets see if you can help me. I do want to buy it but I am traveling with 3 friends and wonder if I need 2 books or if some of its coupons cover for more than 2 people. Thank you and have a great day.
Gina

MikeT Feb 28th, 2007 12:14 PM

The question is could you have received all of those discounts in other ways, without forking out the money for the book.

colombiana Feb 28th, 2007 12:36 PM

sk44fungirl:
Let me ask my question over since it seems someone got it ALL wrong, I want to know if I need to purchase 2 Books or if one has coupons to cover up to four people. I don’t know where The HELL I asked here how to get it for free?
Thank you sk84fungirl

dusty56438 Feb 28th, 2007 02:17 PM

Some info about the book:

Some coupons are buy one get one free, or buy one get 50% off on a second one. For example, Polynesian Cultural Center is for $40 buy one get one free. They will honor the coupon for any priced package.

Others like Paradise Cove & Germaine's Luaus are 25% off for up to four people.

So depending on what coupons you want to use, one book may be enough. If you plan to go to PCC, then you will need 2 books for 4 people.

If you go to PCC, it is better to call & make reservations. Then you can let them know you have a coupon. Online you cannot do that.

You can go to their site & browse the book. You can see all of the participants & the discount value.

The Hawaii Book is $37 + 5 shipping. Almost all of the coupons expire November 1. There are a few that expire before then & a couple expire the end of the year. But 99% expire November 1.

Because the coupons have an expiration date, the books are discounted.

Right now they are about $25 + $1 shipping.

By mid-May they will be about $15 including shipping. That is about as low as they will go.

For Mikensha, if you know of any specific Kauai coupon(s) you want, let me know & I will send them to you. I do not plan to go to Kauai this year.

www.entertainment.com

sk84fungirl Feb 28th, 2007 06:03 PM

Received an e-mail from entertainment to purchase my book for some deal. Total I paid about $22 I think. You should be able to get a good deal now. I also received a $25 gift certificate for a restaurant in my area. I'm reviewing the choices now and trying to decide which restaurant. This was a great deal.

Dusty was spot on. The coupons vary. If you're looking for something in particular, let me know and I will be glad to check for you to see if it requires one or two. My thought is to purchase one. It was three in our party and it all worked out.

Now as it relates to Kauai, the following hotels are listed: Aloha Beach, Best Western, Hyatt Regency, Kauai Sands, Outrigger Kiahuna, Sheraton Kauai, Hanalei Bay, Hilton Kauai, Kauai Sands, Resortquest at Poipu Kai, Resortquest Islander, and Resortquest Waimea.

Keep in mind that there are restrictions for each hotel. However, I've seen many posts from people that have used the book for accomodations and were pleased with their rates.

Ya know, I visit this board everytime I travel. Business or Leisure. It is a great resource. The LEAST I can do is return the favor.

DebitNM Feb 28th, 2007 06:13 PM

I found the book to be less than user friendly. A lot of the coupons did not indicate what island the places were located; also, they are not separated by island which makes it harder to use. I used enough to make it worthwhile, but I bought it in June and it was $15 or so. I ended up sending to someone from here who paid me the postage to send it. The best deal was at Chez PAul on Maui.
Debi

sk84fungirl Feb 28th, 2007 06:24 PM

You are correct. It is not broken down by island. However, each coupon does have the address listed. And the address includes the city which is often a pretty good indication of which island. If you opt not to use the Index, you will need to go through page by page. I do both. Even with the books I purchase for my home city.

Now, you should also know that the Index is listed by area. You have things that are indexed by "multiple locations", Honolulu, and by island. I find that pretty helpful as it then gives you the page number. So while the coupons are not regionalized, they are very easy to find.

DebitNM Feb 28th, 2007 06:31 PM

A lot of the towns/city names were really confusing for me; guess I am just used to the one I bought when I lived in suburbia NYC. Just for our county, worked well.

colombiana Mar 1st, 2007 04:21 AM

Dusty, sk84fungirl:
Thanks for your help again, I think I will just get one and take it from there. Thank you
Gina

Budman Mar 1st, 2007 04:41 AM

We bought the Entertainment Book mainly for Kauai. Not a whole lot of stuff in there for Kauai -- mostly Oahu and Maui, but it was worth it just for the 25% discount for the Holoholo sunset cruise.

I then passed the book on to a Fodorite going there later in the year just for the cost of postage ($5). ((b))

iceeu2 Mar 1st, 2007 05:03 AM

And, unfortunately, the Holoholo Charter coupon is not in this years book.

iceeu2 Mar 1st, 2007 05:15 AM

Debi, did you have any problems using the discount at Chez Paul? Do you remember what you had, or is it in your trip report? If it is would you please top your trip report so I don't hijack skaters thread?

That's a real deal at $35, I think.

DebitNM Mar 1st, 2007 05:34 AM

iceeu2 - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34887459

We used our Entertainment bookfor dinner and had a stunning meal at Chez Paul, just south of Lahaina. We saved $39 on entrée. The restaurant is small and really looks like something you would find in Paris. The wait staff was attentive but not overbearing and we dined royally on escargot for DH, lobster bisque for me, DH had a seafood in parchment called “ménage a trios” with so much seafood and fish that he had a big grin on his face the whole time he consumed it. {Not sure if it was the fresh fish which we can’t get in SW or the name of the dish!} and I had a delicious duck. DH had a chocolate flourless cake and I had a pineapple tartan. Truly this was an excellent meal.

Also used Ent. Bk. during time on Ohau: $8[each]for the explorers tours [which was fabulous; 3 hours and just the 2 of us with our own guide] at USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor; $3.75 at Dole planataion. I bought it in May or June and paid $16 for it. Don't buy now if you don't need yet, they mark them down as time goes by.

You could save enough $ to make it worthwhile if you use if for Luau one high end restaurent etc.

DebitNM Mar 1st, 2007 05:35 AM

iceeu2 - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34887459

We used our Entertainment bookfor dinner and had a stunning meal at Chez Paul, just south of Lahaina. We saved $39 on entrée. The restaurant is small and really looks like something you would find in Paris. The wait staff was attentive but not overbearing and we dined royally on escargot for DH, lobster bisque for me, DH had a seafood in parchment called “ménage a trios” with so much seafood and fish that he had a big grin on his face the whole time he consumed it. {Not sure if it was the fresh fish which we can’t get in SW or the name of the dish!} and I had a delicious duck. DH had a chocolate flourless cake and I had a pineapple tartan. Truly this was an excellent meal.

Also used Ent. Bk. during time on Ohau: $8[each]for the explorers tours [which was fabulous; 3 hours and just the 2 of us with our own guide] at USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor; $3.75 at Dole planataion. I bought it in May or June
paid $16 for it. Don't buy now if you don't need yet, they mark them down as time goes by.
Debi
You could save enough $ to make it worthwhile if you use if for Luau one high end restaurent etc.

jobie1 Mar 1st, 2007 12:39 PM

Hi
I just bought a card for Hawaii. (we will be at the B.I. and Kauai) check out www.hawaiisavers.com. It cost $25.00, but in our case with one of our B.I. tours, the savings is $88.00 minus the $25.00 jobie

sk84fungirl Mar 1st, 2007 05:19 PM

jobie1,

That is an interesting site. I've never heard of it before. Will have to take a more detailed look.

happytrailstoyou Mar 4th, 2007 04:35 PM

<i>The question is could you have received all of those discounts in other ways, without forking out the money for the book.</i> Good point.

Also, since the Entertainment Book for Seattle is a poor guide to the best and most fun places to eat here, I wonder whether the book for Hawaii will lead you to the places you would most like to eat if you had your choice.

When traveling, I don't like to limit my dining choices unless I am being entertained by a friend or relative who knows all the best places.