Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii Condo Cooking (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-condo-cooking-480656/)

CCinBC Oct 16th, 2004 05:59 AM

Hawaii Condo Cooking

I'm curious if anyone has some favorite recipes or suggestions to share for those of us planning to cook some meals in our condos.

I'm thinking of recipes that don't require complex supplies (a few pots and pans or BBQ) or extensive ingredients that would be difficult to use up during one's stay or awkward to bring home. Definitely a focus on fresh Hawaiian produce would be important!

gyppielou Oct 16th, 2004 06:38 AM

auntie gyppie's hawaiin pancakes with real maple syrup or you can by coconut syrup.

Aunt Jemima pancake batter prepared.
Ladle onto buttered skillet and sprinkle with sliced bananas, blueberries, and crushed macedamia nuts.
Flip, cook, plate yummm

jacketwatch Oct 16th, 2004 09:27 AM

Try any pancakes with a combo of coconut and passion fruit syrup. A local waitress on Kauai clued us on to this treat. Excellent. :-)

islandmom Oct 16th, 2004 10:04 PM

Buy premade kalua pork or turkey and stirfry it with cabbage - yum!

islandmom Oct 16th, 2004 10:06 PM

Make shredded mexican chicken in a crock-pot then briefly bake in avocado halves.

islandmom Oct 16th, 2004 10:08 PM

Maui onion and tomato salad with vinaigrette.

Local baby greens.

Papaya and avocado salad...

gyppielou Oct 17th, 2004 08:45 PM

Grill the best fish you can, and grill some thick slices of Maui onions....yumm

lahainaluna Oct 20th, 2004 04:25 PM

I'm with gyppielou: Grill fish and Maui onions. The local fish is wonderful.

If you will be there for a while you can grill up a big London Broil or a bunch of chicken. We loved having the leftovers to snack on from the fridge.

I also like to make up a bunch of shish-ka-bob. You can use beef or chicken and your favorite veggies. I like onions, peppers and pineapple but you can pick up anything reasonable at the market. Marinade them overnight in either teriyaki sauce, italian dressing or better yet pick up an unusual hawaiian marinade you find at the market. Put them on skewers, grill them and enjoy. They also make good leftovers for snacks and picnics.

One tip: Bring a couple of favorite spices or blends from home. It can get expensive to buy them there.

Have fun!

iceeu2 Oct 20th, 2004 04:59 PM

Where's the best place to buy fresh fish? Safeway?

here_today_gone2Maui Oct 20th, 2004 05:07 PM

>>Where's the best place to buy fresh fish? Safeway?<<

Where will you be? Here on Maui, I get fish at Safeway as my third or fourth option. I never buy fish at Star Market. Costco is my favorite place, followed by Eskimo Candy in Kihei. In Pa`ia I often get nice fresh fish at Nagata store.

gyppielou Oct 20th, 2004 07:11 PM

I got the most amazing fish at Safeway....granted it was Christmas Eve, so the place was overfilled with the best of the best I'm sure. My fave was big eye tuna looking just like a roast beef, quick seared or raw with a pile of tobiko, also available......yummmy! Santa done gyppie good! We also grilled beef and packed it for beach lunch/snacks. Just booked Kauai, maybe will add Maui so fish monger recommendations are a major plus.

CCinBC Oct 21st, 2004 05:28 AM

Great ideas! I'm getting hungry...

My mom suggested a small ham with pineapple, also good for leftovers. She likes to use those clear roasting bags for easy cleanup, which are also good if the condo pans are not in the best shape.

We are staying in Napili. I have read in previous threads that Honokowai has a good Farmer's Market and Fish place. Can't wait to try all the local delicacies!

Thanks for the great meal and shopping suggestions everyone!

riggsie Oct 26th, 2004 02:00 PM

Our favorite to grill at condo on Maui is jumbo shrimp wrapped with bacon and then weaved on shish-ka-bob and brushed with barb sauce and grilled pineapple and side of rice! yum yum.. I have tried at home and just doesnt taste as good as on Maui! Mahalo

bonniebroad Oct 26th, 2004 02:21 PM

When my sister stays at the Maui Sunset for a couple of months each winter, they grill fresh fish and filet mignon from Costco, and supplement those with the big rotissieried chickens from Costco. They buy lots of fresh local fruits and veggies, and they're all set! They eat out, probably, every other day or so, and feel that Costco saves them a lot of money, overall, when they don't. Great idea from someone above to take your own spices and seasonings from home... so expensive to buy there.

CCinBC Oct 26th, 2004 04:06 PM

Any recommendations for a local favorite marinade or BBQ sauce to pair with the grilled fish or meat?
After I posted my original question, I did some web-searching and came up with a marinade for grilled tuna steaks that sounds interesting:
1-2 cups citrus juice (lime, orange, grapefruit or combo)
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne
salt, pepper to taste
Marinade fish 3-4 hours in shallow pan in fridge, preheat and oil grill, grill 5-7 min per side.
Haven't tried it yet. What do ya think?