Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii car rental: reserve through company or other? Also, where to rent a car in Waikiki?

Search

Hawaii car rental: reserve through company or other? Also, where to rent a car in Waikiki?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We will be in Hawaii for 13 nights in August for our honeymoon, Oahu 2 nights, Big Island 4 nights, Maui 7 nights.
Would you suggest renting a car through the car rental company's website (ie Budget, Alamo, etc...)OR through a travel website like Yahoo, Expedia, Travelocity, etc..? Anyone have experiences good or bad for either? Better rates on one or another? Also, what do you think about renting a car for the 2 days we are in Oahu? If we don't rent a car at the airport, and then decide we'd like one to take a drive around island before our flight to the BI, can we just grab one for the day somewhere in/sround Waikiki? Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:19 PM

August is a long ways off, would suggest reserving a car at the car rental companies website. You should choose a rental company like Alamo or Dollar that let you reserve the car without any credit card info., so you can cancel it if you find a better rate. I find special rates can occur just before my travel. Cannot recommend Budget.

I believe Expedia and travelocity require a credit card to book the car rate, and a simple reservation does not hold the rate. I would expect Oahu to have more car rentals available than any other island and you should be able to get a car at the last minute, unlike the smaller islands (e.g. Kauai). With oahu, you still have the option of a bus to economically $)circle the island.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:12 AM

There are several rental outlets in Waikiki. I just drove by Budget outside of Hilton Hawaii Village, and I remember others too,so you won't have to go back to the airport.

One thing to consider is that if you rent at the airport, you'll save the cost of getting to and from your hotel ($25 each way in a cab)and the cost of tours ($$??) or the city bus ($2pp per trip).

I'd check all the places you mention, as cost is really the deciding factor. I find Alamo's website or their 800 number (ask for their Costco discount) is often the cheapest. Check on your hotel parking fees, and figure in gas at $1.90 to really compare.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:50 AM

Avis also doesn't require a credit card at reservation.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:49 AM

Renting a car on Oahu is a waste of money unless you have definite plans requiring one. It's a better bet to take a shuttle bus (about $8 pp one way/$13pp round trip) or taxi to the hotel from the airport. You can catch The Bus ($2 pp - don't forget to get a transfer) from anywhere and go most anywhere. If you decide you want to drive out to the North Shore, Kailua, or wherever, you can rent one at most of the major hotels and other car rental offices throughout Waikiki.

If you rent one at the airport you have to worry about parking - which is a premium in Waikiki - and the hotels charge hefty fees to park in their lots. Also, if you rent one at the airport then you have the hassle of returning it at the airport as well which could cut into your time spent on Oahu because you'd have to get to the airport that much earlier to take care of that.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM

There are multiple outlets of every major rental company in Waikiki. You should have no trouble getting a car for the day. If you want a specialty vehicle, then it might be a good idea to reserve a day or two in advance. Sometimes they don't keep cars (or a large selection of cars) at these rental outlets and will have to shuttle you to another lot. Sounds like you want to rent it on your last day on Oahu and return it at the airport which should be no problem.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! It sounds like I can just grab a rental car right in Waikiki if we decide we need one, and return it to the airport when we leave for the Big Island.
As for the islands where we're definitely renting a car for the duration (Big Island and Maui), when would you suggest I reserve for August? And what are some price estimates -- what do you all usually pay per day/per week? Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:56 PM

Depends on the type of car, anywhere from $20 a day for a compact to $60 a day or more for a minivan/SUV. I think it's never too early to start looking since you're not locked in with a rental car reservation. If you find something better, you can always cancel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

What am I doing wrong then in terms of looking for good, cheap car rentals? The cheapest I've found on various websites is around $250/week for Maui.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM

What type of car are you looking for and does that $250 include taxes/surcharges? My estimates were without tax. I just did a quick online check for arbitrary dates in August from OGG airport and Budget was $156/week + approx. $45 in taxes for a compact. You can probably find coupons that will give you a few extra dollars off or a free upgrade.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:29 AM

I reserved an intermediate car for Kauai from Avis for $250 a week (for this July). I thought that was a great price, maybe not. Alamo was cheaper, but I'm enrolled in a UPromise program and Avis donates 5% to that, so that's why I went with Avis.

Good luck finding a deal.

Amelie