Reload this Page >

Hawaii - Big Island day trip from Oahu - Oct 2009

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fodorites,

I'm going to HI for the 2nd time in my life. (First time was last December). This time, I am bringing a friend. Since I did all the obligatory Oahu sites last year, I'm only interested in repeating a few of them. But, she has decided that she wants to stay on Oahu. (not sure why. i don't think she understands how different the islands are and what beautiful things she'll miss by staying on Oahu)

We decided to part ways for 1 day so I could go exploring and she can relax. And, that's cool to me but it complicates things a bit $$wise. For instance, I have to foot the bill for a second rental car on the other island alone. And, I can't spend the night because I'll be paying for 2 hotel rooms (one on each island). So, I have to make the MOST of a day-trip and I need your help.

So, I'm leaning towards a day-trip to Maui or the Big Island (5am flight out, 8:30pm flight back). Here are my Big-Island questions:

1) Which of the following do you recommend?

option A: airfare right now on HA is looking like $115 rt and rental car $50+gas. so, i'm looking at probably $190 to go it alone.

option B: i found a couple tour companies running day trip specials for $199 (airfare, bustour, etc)

the pro of Option A is that I'll be on my own and can explore what I want, stop/linger with my camera where I want, and not have that tour-rushed feeling. I'd like to see a volcano (preferably some night-time lava flows) but I want to see some other things beyond volcanoes all day . . . I also want really good photos so variety of scenery might be good.

the pro of Option B is that someone who knows the area better will be taking me to the right volcano spots and I won't get lost, I won't have to fight with traffic, and I'll learn some cultural tidbits I would have never known. Also, I won't miss my flight. They'll get me back to the airport in time.

In general, I HATE tours. I value the independence. But, the pros for option B might be saying otherwise this time, particularly since the costs are about the same.

2) Do you know of any better/cheaper tour companies?

3) What do most land-only tours cost? Maybe I can piece together a day a little cheaper than the $199 option above.

4) If I do it on my own, do you know of any day-trip itineraries that will help me do this right/efficiently? (Maybe flying into one airport and out of another?)

5) Do you have any other recommendations for how I might spend 1 day on the Big Island?

6) Alternatively, I could do Maui. I am itching to enjoy the beaches there. Any good snorkeling in/off Maui?

I've read a ton of posts on Fodors and other sites but having trouble trying to synthesize it into a reasonably priced, doable itinerary that allows me some exploration time and some guided time.

Any advice would be helpful.

THANKS!
-jlr
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM

My friend just did this trip[ last week with her daughter. Luckily, Hawaiian Air had a special $25 fare. They flew the earliest and latest flights into and out of Hilo, drove down to the town of Volcano and the national park, Thurston Lava tube, then drove over to the hike out area. they did not actually see the lava dripping into the ocean, but saw all the steam and said the hike was fabulous. After that, bought picnic fixings at Safeway, they drove up to Akaka falls, then over to Waimea and still further to Kona. At that point decided to continue all around the island back to Hilo. I know they went swimming a couple of places, and finished with plenty of time to catch their flight.

I don't know if I'd do the whole circle island trip, and I'm not sure how long they visited each spot, but they loved their trip!

I've done the same trip, including park station, lava tube and our hike was about 1.5 hours. We spent time in Volcano Village, shopped in Hilo, and visited the Botanic gardens, as well as having a nice lunch.

So you might go somewhere in between these two extremes, but you'll definitely have time to enjoy the island. You could fly into Hilo and out of Kona if you plan to visit Waimea or Kona. I'd use Priceline for the car if you can't find something cheaper than $50. None of the HIlo locations will be very far from the airport. Print a map to Volcano Nat Park...once there, they'll give you directions to the lava flow.

I wouldn't do the bus tour, as you'll have that whole busload of people everywhere you go, and you sound independent enough to do it on your own.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM

I wouldn't waste my time. Too much time in the airports and rent car line or tour line. Either convince your friend to split time on the BI or do something different on Oahu.

Sorry, while I love the BI, I think a day trip is a poor use of time.

Bill
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM

I've taken a day trip from Oahu to Big Island, Hilo side.

We rented a car & had time for:

Hilo: Liliuokalani Gardens, Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots

North of Hilo: 4 mile scenic drive, Akaka Falls State Park. Take the short loop trail that also includes Akaka Falls.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Visitors Center, Crater Rim Drive, several steam/sulfur vents & crater overlooks, Jaggar Museum, Thurston Lava Tube & Chain of Craters Road to the end where lava flow closed the road.

We spent about 3 1/2 hours in the park.

HVNP is about 50 minutes from Hilo Airport.

Its a nice day trip. But I think I would talk your friend into going also or bite the bullet & stay on Oahu.

By the way, the only added expense for you to do the trip alone is 1/2 of the car rental & 1/2 of the gas.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34812564
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:46 AM

I agree with the posters who are attempting to convince you that a day trip to the Big Island is not a good use of your time- you will be exhausted. I hope you can convince your friend to come along for a few days. If you absolutely must I would narrow it down to one site- and it would be IMO the Volcanoes Park- fly in and out of Hilo. That is a full day if you drive the perimeter, hike a couple of short hikes, have lunch and see the museum. Have fun!
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Okoshi, Dusty, my friend, and I were all able to do lots more than just see the park and the volcano during our days on Hawaii. My friend's involved a LOT more- I wouldn't recommend that much driving- but even she found the trip very worthwhile

Taking the early flight into Hilo means you will have very few lines or traffic. You also won't be dealing with luggage. I've done a day trip twice and found it a very fun and easy day.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM

One of the advantages we had was that there was an airfare war going on at the time & we were able to get fares of $39 each way. So it was less than $100 each including airfare, car rental & gas.

We really enjoyed the day trip. And I didn't think it was any more exhausting than any other day. It will be a long day though.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Not all day tours are with busloads of people. I went with Polynesian Adventure Tours to Kauaii, and was on a "bus" (mini van) with about 6 other people for the day. It was great! Same with Maui, except it was a slightly larger group, maybe 12 of us, doing the island tour (it was NOT the road to Hana tour). We did Haleakala, IOA (sp) needle and La Haina. I enjoyed both of those day tours.

That said, the last three years I have been to Kauai and to the big islandn(Hilo) on a day trips and rented a car. But I was not going solo. This year it was for a 2-night visit to Maui, with a rental car. Very enjoyable.

Just remember, not all tours mean a whole BUSLOAD of people. I would not particularly like it that way either!!!