Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii: B.I. Rental Car Panic (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-b-i-rental-car-panic-815594/)

brandie346 Nov 24th, 2009 07:27 PM

Hawaii: B.I. Rental Car Panic

Ok, for the first time, I'm really kicking myself for not working on this trip sooner (Hawaii Dec 23-30).

I think I'd like to spend a few days on the Big Island b/c the Volcanoes National Park is open on Christmas Day and for this solo traveler it sounds like an awesome way to spend the 25th (and more).

But I can't find a rental car. Panic is setting in. Sadly, I even have a $50 Avis gift card just waiting to be used!

Are there any smaller/independent car rental companies on the Big Island?

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Bumming hard. Inter-island flights look great and cheap. Hotels looking good. Just need some wheels!

brandie346 Nov 24th, 2009 07:31 PM

One more thing: Hilo is preferred but Kona would work too at this point...

brandie346 Nov 24th, 2009 07:57 PM

Ok, panic level @14% less. Looks like I CAN get a car, I just can't keep it until Saturday. I think I can make that work...

Expensive, though. Dumb me for waiting so long to reserve.

Kailani Nov 24th, 2009 10:51 PM

You'll probably be able to extend the car once you have it, and if you keep checking you may be able to find a cheaper rate.

Hawaii does add charges for rental cars to help pay for road maintenance, so I feel that is fair (but the costs add up.)

This website, Kona Web http://www.konaweb.com/travel/index.shtml has a forum, and people advocate a couple of local agencies for rental cars. I haven't used them myself, as I've had good luck renting through normal companies. I often try Orbitz to see what looks cheapest, then check out the individual companies. Also, prices are good through Costco.

martym Nov 25th, 2009 02:50 AM

Have you tried Discount Hawaii Rentals http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ I've had luck with them in the past.

brandie346 Nov 25th, 2009 06:20 AM

Marty - thank you for the link. If the rate they sent me is for real, it saves me $65!

But I'm worried... you know what they say about things that look too good to be true...

wbpiii Nov 25th, 2009 06:53 AM

I had excellent success with Costco and Priceline for KOA rentals. But your dates won't allow for deep discounts.
'

Bill

lcuy Nov 25th, 2009 08:24 AM

I wouldn't worry about the car. Since these rentals don't require deposits, many, many of them are never picked up or are cancelled. Make a best choice reservation now, then keep checking between now and your trip. You'll most likely get what you want.

Placename Nov 25th, 2009 09:20 AM

I disagree with lcuy

In the last several years, the rental car agencies have been fully sold out over the holidays. No cars, nada.

I would be very skeptical of any discount. I would call the rental agency directly to get a confirmation that there will be a car for you.

martym Nov 25th, 2009 09:40 AM

Hawaii Discount Car Rental have often gotten me a good deal and I have never had any problem with them.

brandie346 Nov 25th, 2009 10:33 AM

Thanks again, Marty. So far their confirmation is the clear winner and I'm psyched about it. :)

I will keep checking for new prices, but considering what I've seen, I can live with their quote.

lcuy Nov 25th, 2009 12:18 PM

What's to disagree with in my suggestion, placename?

I told brandie to reserve a car now, but keep checking for a better deal over the next month.

Samsaf Nov 25th, 2009 02:49 PM

We've also used Hawaii Discount Car Rental, and it was by far the best price we could find for a rental. They use several different agencies, so you will still be picking your car up from the Avis, Budget, or some other rental agency, but your rate is set by Hawaii Discount Car Rental. We had really good customer service with them.

texasjo Nov 25th, 2009 06:02 PM

Brandie, I wonder also about the too good to be true... I asked for a quote after reading this thread and their price is $100 less than Costco, which was $100+ less than anyone else. Gives one pause. Let us know when you return if your experience was like martym and samsaf. Have a great trip!

rkkwan Nov 27th, 2009 11:12 AM

If everybody is sold out, try Harper's Truck Rental. They rent SUVs. Not cheap, but you can take it on Saddle Road and even to the top of the Mauna Kea and other offroad spots.

wbpiii Nov 27th, 2009 11:22 AM

I don't know about the particular dates of your trip but in response to the person who says Hawaiian Discount Car Rental has the best price, there has never been a trip in the last nine years (11 or 12 trips) to the islands where I could not get a better price at Costco or Priceline..

Bill

sylvia3 Nov 28th, 2009 01:11 PM

Get the reservation for the best price you can now, and check PL at the last minute (I got $24 down to $11/day that way!)

sylvia3 Nov 28th, 2009 01:12 PM

p.s. I also consistently got better prices at carrentals.com than via Hawaiian Discount Car Rental.

eas394 Dec 4th, 2009 04:56 AM

I am in a similar situation. No rental cars available anywhere between Dec 25 to Dec 29 2009. Any suggestions? If I don't get any cars, are there bus tours around big island from Kona to partially salvage the situation?

wbpiii Dec 4th, 2009 08:49 AM

As I recall, there are some car rental agencies in Kailua Kona. You might check with them. You will have to pay through the proverbial nose.