Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii, Azores, Mallorca, or Canary Islands for August Honeymoon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-azores-mallorca-or-canary-islands-for-august-honeymoon-933081/)

gaucho25 Apr 27th, 2012 11:52 AM

Hawaii, Azores, Mallorca, or Canary Islands for August Honeymoon?

My fiance and I are all over the place in terms of planning our honeymoon. y fiance and I love to travel and are having some trouble deciding on our honeymoon locale. We are getting married at the end of July and will probably go traditional and leave right after for a two week honeymoon in August.

My fiance and I travel well together, but also have different styles that we are trying to compromise on. And we are all over the place with deciding between Hawaii, the Azores, Barcelona/Mallorca or Barcelona/Canary Islands. Disparate choices, but they all have some island and foodie element with good weather in August. Hawaii looks beautiful, but it seems like everything is built around mega family resorts, and my fiance does not want to rent a house. We are both foodies and love to explore dining hotspots, street stands, vineyards, and outdoor markets. Fiance: Wants relaxation after the wedding and he is content to sit on the beach, but doesn't have to the whole time. Me: I can sit on the beach for two hours before I get bored (though I love tanning and water sports). Fiance: Is adventurous and would like something exotic but doesn't want a hassle (like the time we got lost with out guide for 12 hours in the middle of nowhere in the Brazilian wetlands) Me: I love adventure and crave some outdoorsy time, hiking, surfing, etc or catching some historical sights. I also love trying to learn a bit about the culture (and I speak Spanish, Portuguese, and a little Italian). We also want something away from too much mass tourism, but I know it is difficult in August. Any thoughts or suggestions on these locations in August? Or particular good choices in Hawaii? If we go, we are definitely going to Kaui and then probably either the Big Island or Maui.

Placename Apr 27th, 2012 12:13 PM

On Kauai, check out www.hanaleisurfboardhouse.com

It is in a terrific location on Hanalei Bay and the town of Hanalei is very laid back, with good restaurants. Lots to see on Kauai.

On The Big Island of Hawaii, there is the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park to visit. It is also nice to stay in the town of Volcano for the difference in environment. There are lots of very nice B&B's there, some of which are rain forest types, some of which are classic old bungalow types. TBI isn't really a foodie destination. There is more in terms of foodie activity on Oahu, more ethnic cuisine stuff. You might want to check out www.chowhound.com to get ideas of what's available in Honolulu or thereabouts.

gaucho25 Apr 27th, 2012 12:47 PM

Love the look of the Hanalei Surf Board House! Thanks! Will look at that and the Koa Kea.

MichelleY Apr 27th, 2012 01:14 PM

I would pick Hawaii that time of year. Only know of a winery/vineyards in Maui and the Big Island. Where are you coming from? Budget?

Placename Apr 27th, 2012 01:15 PM

There used to be a stand-alone unit there called the Love Shack. I don't see it on the website, but you might consider asking if that is still available.

Tomsd Apr 27th, 2012 01:46 PM

Dang - lost a post while trying to get this webpage.

Anyhow - good choices and I would suggest you might go to say Mallora/Majorca - since you will probably have more time now - and could later more easily get over to Hawaii - which I love, especially the North Shore of Kauai and the Big Island.

If it were me - and to satisfy some "foodie" lust - fly into Paris - and then after a few days - make your way down to the Med and take a ferry from say Barcelona as we did - or possibly from Nice or somewhere in France.

Here is one page and there are others: http://balearics.angloinfo.com/infor...35/ferries.asp

Tomsd Apr 27th, 2012 01:49 PM

BTW - there are plenty of places in Hawaii that are not mega resorts and fun to stay. Come back with more questions when you get a better idea of your semi-final choices. :)

Tomsd Apr 27th, 2012 01:50 PM

BTW Dos: :) You could also "open jaw" into say Paris and fly back from Barcelona, saving having to retrace your route if you decided to see the "City of Light" first.

Tomsd Apr 27th, 2012 01:54 PM

BTW Tres: You can also fly from Europe to Palm de Majorca, apparently not that much more expensive now than taking the ferry? http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=2054917

tomfuller Apr 27th, 2012 02:03 PM

I am the rare person here who has not been to Hawaii or Majorca but has been to Terciera (Azores). Our daughter was stationed there at Lajes with the USAF for over a year.
The drive around the island took nearly all day. Once you got away from the 2 main cities, there was no throng of tourists.
There are charter boats that can show you some of the rugged coastline which you can't see any other way.
It was interesting landing at Lajes with its runway shared by the Portugese AF and the commercial airport. There is a cow pasture next to the runway.
We did have to fly from Newark to Lisbon and then back to Lajes.

suze Apr 27th, 2012 02:51 PM

<but it seems like everything is built around mega family resorts>

Well your impressions is simply not true. I'm not sure where you are doing your research but the Hawaiian islands are incredibly diverse. You can find ALL kinds of independent accomodations that in no way resemble "mega family resorts". You can rent private homes, cottages, stay at small island-style hotels, get a condo or apartment, B&B, etc. in cities, towns, or out in the countryside or coastline. All the islands have a variety of options.

gaucho25 Apr 27th, 2012 03:50 PM

Thank you for the suggestions so far. We are coming from NYC and therefore, it would be a bit of a haul. But, it is our honeymoon and we have two weeks. I've tried to find hotels on the beach that are smaller, but am having trouble finding some that seem like it is a mix of island style and pampering. Our budge doesn't allow for a place like the Four Seasons Maui, but can probably spend up to about 400 a night (but of course would prefer cheaper and ideally around 250 a night). My fiance doesn't want to rent a house as he wants to feel like he is on vacation and not making the bed or washing dishes ( I personally don't care). If we go to Kauai, we are staying at the Koa Kea or the Hanalei Surfboard House (great suggestion and maybe we will do both). The Big Island or Maui is where we are getting stuck with where to stay near the beach (but knowing we will hike inland).
Tonsd, And thanks for the threads on Mallorca and the ferries!...Hawaii seems beautiful and I've never been, but the idea of tapas, wine, and the Mediterranean are also calling my name.
tomfuller...you didn't seem that enthusiastic about the Azores? Were they just ok?
Thanks again everyone! Very helpful!

Tomsd Apr 27th, 2012 04:03 PM

For Kauai - so many great places on the North Shore at Hanelei and Princeville and beyond. We have a timeshare at the Cliffs Club in Princeville (bought during our Honeymoon in '86) but for really getting away - check out the Hanalei Colony Resort - which reportedly now has a good Luau and there is good snorkeling right in front. http://www.hcr.com/?utm_source=googl...FcIFRQodgSmYDQ

When we were there - yes, years ago - the very lively Charo had her restuarant there, and we met her at a party or two. Very funny - gucci gucci gal.

There also other nice homes/condos in the area - such as at Anini Beach. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...ni-beach/r5034

Took a wind surfing lesson there, and enjoyed a picnic on the grass - while watching Sly Stallone play polo there. Think he sold his lovely home years ago - as did Bette Midler and Kareem Abdul Jabaar.

tomfuller Apr 27th, 2012 06:56 PM

I think I will enjoy the Island of Hawaii more than Terciera.
TAP lost my wife's checked bag. We had to travel to Angra de Hermosa to their office for reinbursement. We had a very good meal in Praia with the money they gave us. 3 days later we got the bag back minus the strap that held the luggage tag.
The population has dropped to less than 55000.
http://theazoresislands.blogspot.com...s-history.html
When driving in the countryside, be prepared to see goats in the road. The flowers growing on the stone fences are nice.

okoshi2002 Apr 28th, 2012 04:55 PM

Here is my two cents:
Hawaii is our home . We have been to Barcelona and Majorca for short stays and loved both locales. Barcelona is a very vibrant and a "young" city. Endless shopping, eating, and museums.
Marjorca is much simpler and beautiful. The two might given you a nice variety since you have two whole weeks.
If you are looking to "beach" the entire stay Lanai is my idea of a honeymoon splurge.It is beautiful and tranquil. You could go to Maui or Kauai thereafter for a different pace.
Regardless have a lovely time.

Placename Apr 28th, 2012 05:17 PM

I find Lanai nice for a day visit, but after that it gets boring. Yes, I said it. And this would not be the place to put a foodie.

Tomsd Apr 28th, 2012 09:55 PM

Lanai has some good dining options, certainly enough for a week. It is a kickback type place - with great golf courses and good snorkeling, but it is the smallest/least inhabited of the islands. Molokai is the next smallest, and while I like Lanai - think Molokai would have more to offer, especially the great waterfall/hike at the east end.

But our two favorites are Kauai - especially the North Shore and the Big Island, although they all have something special.

Again, from a time viewpoint, when is the next time you think you will get two weeks off? If you haven't been to Paris and Barcelona - I would do that the first week and then get to Mallorca or Ibiza, etc for the 2nd week. There are usually package deals to Hawaii that I think would be easier/less expensive than flying over to Europe, that you could take advantage of in the future.

But since you are in NYC - it might be a wash?

suze Apr 29th, 2012 09:27 AM

Honestly as much as I love Hawaii, for a honeymoon and starting of in NYC, I'd head to Europe. Save Hawaii for another vacation in the future.

Shar May 16th, 2012 03:05 PM

I would also consider the flight times. LONg way from NYC to hawaii and so much shorter to europe. I also love, love, love hawaii but from the east coast, I'd pick Europe especially after all the hustle and bustle of a wedding. hawaii is wonderfull but most places are a bit crowded unless you try Molokai and Lanai good luck in trying to figure it all out.....

Jayme_Simoes May 30th, 2012 10:38 AM

I say try Pico. Pico is the obvious choice of name for the highest point in all of Portugal. You cannot miss it! Its giant peak soars about the clouds most days, and it is often seen by approaching planes rising above the cloud cover. It is impressive from any angle! Some intriguing places to visit are Escalada ao Pico where tourists can scale Portugal’s highest mountain, and Quinta da Rosas, a forest park with exotic species. The interior of Pico is mostly a natural park, and the trails are well marked. The climb up to the 7,700-foot summit can take up to 3 hours, but the views are worth it. Hiking is abundant, and trails soar up the mountain and along the coast, with spectacular views.

The volcanic explosions that built Pico are visible in the island’s wild landscapes, soaring peaks, and black cliffs that drop into the sea. Many days the peak is covered in clouds; however, on clear days, it can be seen from surrounding islands, with its lava cone rising above the massive volcano. Ancient lava flows are frozen in solid rock in areas called misterios.

Pico is known for its excellent wine. All along the coastal rim of the island, two-foot walls shield the grapes from the sea and elements, to produce a unique vintage with a hint of lava. These areas have been nominated for recognition as an UNESCO World Heritage Site. In the 19th century, even the czars of Russia sent ships here to bring back the volcanic wines of Pico. Yet, it is the sea-faring culture–first whaling, and now tuna–that so defines this place.

Pico once had a busting whaling trade, and two museums mark the history of this industry. In Lajes, an excellent museum traces how the people of Pico took to the seas in tiny boats to land huge whales. Whale watching in the Azores began here, and Espaço Talassa was the first company to take visitors on the ride of a lifetime. In São Roque, a former whale processing plant shows how industrial whaling was carried out.