Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Hawaii & Kauai Advice Requested (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/hawaii-and-kauai-advice-requested-480245/)

mint_tulip Oct 13th, 2004 06:01 PM

Hawaii & Kauai Advice Requested

Aloha! I am planning a trip with my mom in January to Hawaii for 5 nights & then Kauai for 5 nights.

Would like your comments on Big Island hotels Uncle Billy?s Kona, Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort, & Kona Seaside & Kauai hotels Best Western Plantation Hale Suites & Aloha Beach Resort Kauai.

We plan to eat our main meal at lunch, so favorite lunch spots would be appreciated. No sushi, just plain food a la Chili?s would be great.

Any swap meets on these 2 islands? Suggestions for bargain souvenirs/gifts for our friends who give us rides to & from the airport, etc.

Tips for surviving the 8 hour flight, especially for my 69-year old mom who has arthritis. (I hope to sleep the whole time.) We?re flying Northwest.

Any sightseeing hints on these islands would be appreciated. We?re staying on the Kona side, but will go over to the Hilo side 2 or 3 days to sightsee?hints on making the drive, what to take, etc. Favorite beaches & excursions.

Thank you very much for any insight you can offer!

Mahalo,
Mint
Houston TX

fdecarlo Oct 13th, 2004 11:33 PM

Uncle Billy's: It's a dive. About the only place cheaper than the Kona Seaside, and noisier, as it sits right in the middle of Kailua town.

Kona Seaside: Clean but *very* basic accomodations. Location is pretty awful, as it sits directly on two extremely busy streets.

Ohana Keauhou: Definitely the best of the three you listed. Very nice units, and Keauhou is about ten minutes south of Kailua, so you won't have the same traffic/noise problems as the other two properties.

Plain food options abound in and around Kailua -- everything from Wendy's to KFC to Denny's to local (and better) establishments such as Basil's (Italian), Outback Steakhouse and Bubba Gump's.

As for activities, search this forum for "Big Island" and "Kauai" and you'll find lots of messages that list the best things to do.

ms_go Oct 14th, 2004 03:50 AM

mint tulip -- I took my 69-year-old mother to Hawaii in March. We stayed at both the Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort and the BW Plantation Hale. I thought both were a pretty good value for the money. I might opt for something different if traveling with my husband and daughter, but they were perfect for this particular trip. The only comment on the Keauhou, based on your initial plans: it's fine for getting down the west side of the island to Place of Refuge, VNP, etc., on a day trip, but I don't know that I'd call it a convenient base for two or three trips over to the Hilo side. That probably would be easier from up around Waikoloa, where you are near the "fast" route. Just a thought. Or if you are considering spending some time on the Hilo side, you could break up your trip into a couple of nights near VNP (Kilauea Lodge is wonderful, and mom really liked it), and the rest in the Kailua-Kona area.

Here's a link to my trip report, which includes more on the hotels and some of the things we did. There's also a link to my pics in the report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...een_name=ms_go

JohnD Oct 14th, 2004 04:31 AM

Agree with <font color="blue">fdecarlo</font> about recommending the Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort.
:S-
The view of the ocean and tidepools here are captivating and snorkeling nearby is awesome. You will probably have to drive a few minutes North or South for restaurants outside the hotel but it is a pleasant scenic drive. Highly recommend you travel to Volcanoes National Park, there is alot for you and your mom to see with short walks from parking areas on Crater Rim Drive and recommend you at least bring water with you. Link to VNP:<font color="blue">http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/visit.htm</font>

Also suggest considering the view from the Waipio Valley Overlook and possibly some waterfalls (e.g. Akaka, ((R))) if you happen to drive on to the eastern (Hilo) side of BI.

Would also recommend that you check with your Mom's physician (arthritis) and inquire about taking aspirin to prevent blood clots on the long ((o))8hour flight.

JohnD Oct 14th, 2004 05:22 AM

Kaua`i Suggested Activities:

1. Limahuli Gardens (short or self guided tour) Allerton Gardens (walking tour is longer than Limahuli but pretty impressive). Drive past Limahuli to where road ends for view of Kee Beach.

2. Waimea canyon (Hawaii's Grand Canyon)
Drive to overlooks for views.

3. Poipu Beach Park

4. Sunset ((#))Dinner((S)) at Beach House Restaurant,&amp; or Princeville Hotel

5. Wailua Falls, Opaeka Falls, possibly boat trip to Fern Grotto.

6. Check out a farmer's market (e.g. Hanalei)

7. Probably too rough surf for boat tour of Napali coast in January, alternatively you might consider doing helicopter tour if the (un)safety risk is acceptable to you.
:S-

mint_tulip Oct 20th, 2004 02:39 PM

OK, one more hotel to ask about: King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel. I've got a hold on $465 for 5 nights. Anyone been there?

Thank you so much for the other advice too!

Mahalo,
Mint
Go Astros!

ms_go Oct 20th, 2004 03:34 PM

Have you looked at the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com? Kind of mixed on the King Kam. I haven't stayed there, but I know it is right in the center of Kailua-Kona, which is probably fine if you are on the go most of the time. Personally, I found the setting of the Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort to be more peaceful and relaxing and the beach next to it is nicer.

fdecarlo Oct 21st, 2004 12:53 AM

We've stayed at the King Kam twice, when we couldn't find anything else in Kailua. The rooms were clean but really, REALLY outdated -- they looked like something right out of Hawaii Five-O, sans Jack Lord and a chase scene. But the grounds are nice, and they have their own small beach (which is usually inundated with kids).

For the same money, the Royal Kona Resort has been a better option, at least in our limited experience. Rooms are larger, much better furnished, the hotel itself is better built (it was constructed by Conrad Hilton), and overall it has a more Hawaiian feel than the King Kam.

turn_it_on Oct 21st, 2004 10:29 AM

Getting ready to get off my butt to write my Big Island trip report, but...

I stayed at the Ohana Keauhou Beach Resort at the end of September and loved it. I booked a standard super saver room ($119 from their website) but my room did end up having a partial view over the pretty lawn and to the tidepools/ocean from the balcony. The room was nicely done, very clean, with a big square tub (but unfortunately no bubble bath and none to be found in the gift shop). The grounds are really nice, very green and lush, right on the rocky shoreline...especially nice is the little fishpond/garden area by the casual beach restaurant, which was closed during my visit. The hotel has an open, airy feel that was calming. Enjoyed the hammocks on the lawn overlooking the tide pools and the wonderful open air Verandah lounge that juts out over the tidepools (which they light up at night too) so you can watch the fish and turtles.

I was being lazy and ate several times at the hotel. I had a great caesar salad at the lounge, with big uncut quarters of lettuce with the dressing drizzled in and huge slices of fresh tomato. The breakfasts were quite good, I ordered off the menu and had the buffet once. The dinner I had was also quite good, and the service was always friendly. Also, the local cats, who were always looking for a handout, with the widest, hungriest eyes I've ever seen.

It's also right next door to a great snorkeling beach (not a great frolicking/laying out beach), Kahalu'u Beach. Lots of turtles, fish, and coral, and very calm from the offshore breakwater.

I also enjoyed a 15 minute chair massage from the salon near the lobby.

All in all, a great place to stay, especially relative to the value. I actually didn't really want to leave...until I got to the Mauna Kea!

love
roxy

CJanzen Oct 24th, 2004 06:56 PM

I would like to jump in here and ask for recomendations for a luau. We are staying at the Moana Loa Village and I know the Hilton on the Kohala Coast is good, but I'm not sure we would like the drive back after the show! Is there a really good show close to Kona?

ChristieP Oct 25th, 2004 02:50 AM

I get the feeling that you're looking for budget accommodations on your trip. Better than Uncle Billy's in Hilo is the Wild Ginger Inn. It is the worker's quarters of an old sugar plantation. It is not fancy at all, but the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. www.wildgingerinn.com While you're in Hilo, definitely go to Ken's House of Pancakes by the airport! Yum!!