Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Having trouble finding place to stay for extended family in/near Cannon Beach, OR

Search

Having trouble finding place to stay for extended family in/near Cannon Beach, OR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm looking for a place to stay with my family of 4 (includes a toddler and newborn) and my parents for July (for a week). We'd be happy renting a house or staying in a type of lodge...would definitely prefer somewhere with laundry though. How do I know how nice these houses really are that are listed on VRBO? I just don't want to end up in a dump and I don't know how to verify if something is nice (if it's not a big hotel with many reviews).
Thanks for any help or advice/rec's.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM

The best you can do is read all the reviews on VRBO and look very closely at the photos..ask a lot of questions .. VRBO has reviews don't they? I thought I used the reviews when looking at aparments in Paris.. check and see.

And sadly, if a place is any kind of inexpensive, it won't be as nice as some of the more expensive..this I have learned the hard way over the years...there is no such thing as a bargain in renting vacation homes/apts.

Cannon Beach is a charming area..you will find something for everyone there..the prices will be lower the farther you get from the beach..and the less views you have.
But I saw homes in the woods on the other side of the highway ( not the beach side) that I would have loved..nestled among huge trees, big decks, private.

Look in Manzanita too if you want to compare prices or look elsewhere..you will be going when everyone else is going too..prices will be at the highest.

And ask here and on TripAdvisor/Cannon Beach forums..so many people who post there, live in the area and have great info.

Good luck!

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Hey there - You will have a wonderful time in Cannon Beach with your family and you are wise to be booking now as July and August are peak season and most homes rent for a week minimum.

There are several reputable management companies that rent homes in Cannon Beach - if fact, by law there if you own a home and wish to rent it out you have to have "local representation" - a firm representing you (unless you live in the local area). Cannon Beach Vacation Rentals (www.visitcb.com) / Cannon Beach Property Management (www.cbpr.com)or Oregon Vacation Rentals are three that I can think of off of the top of my head. I know that on the CBVR website they post pictures of the interior of the homes - and believe that most companies do.

Hemlock is that main drag in Cannon Beach - running all through town - and if you want to be close to the ocean, they key is to search under View Homes or to request homes that are "west of Hemlock".

Are you having trouble finding availability right now?

Best of luck to you!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM

Given its popularity, and that your travel dates are only a few months away, you may not have the luxury of many options. If you do strike out in Cannon Beach, besides Manzanita, you might consider Arch Cape, a residential community about five miles south (of CB). Not the most convenient location to restaurants and shopping, but the beach is great.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM

I loved Arch Cape and found it to be very convenient to Manzanita and Cannon Beach.
When we stayed at the Inn at Arch Cape, innatarchcape.com we went to Cannon Beach for dinner, Manzanita for breakfast and walked on the beach in CB and Arch Cape
And the parks there are breathtaking!
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Have you found a place and what did you decide on? The Ocean Lodge is a very nice property that is oceanfront in Cannon Beach. ***kim***