Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Have you wintered in Tucson? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/have-you-wintered-in-tucson-409944/)

cactushugger Mar 12th, 2004 04:49 AM

Have you wintered in Tucson?

Have you ever rented in the Tucson area during the cold months? I would love to hear from you. I'm thinking of doing so next year.

I am wondering about how to find a place to stay. Also are there parts of Tucson I should avoid due to safety concerns? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gretchen

monpetit Mar 12th, 2004 06:06 AM

We've been in Tucson the 5 last years :
2 times at new year eve's holiday and 3 times in february...
Weather is really very variable...
We've had a majority of sun, with good t?, allowing swimming pool and horseback riding(every year we are going there in a dude ranch for one week) and we have had some raining days, not a lot, but when you are here for one week, one day is too much...
We're not looking to change our view, and so next year, we'll be there in
february...Only thing to know is that early morning and after 7 p.m; T? is pretty cool...
During our stays, we've not so much time to visit(we are occupied by the horses) but we've seen saguaro nat'l park, sabino cyn, old tucson studio,
arizona wild life museum, the old district around the art museum and we've not notice some bad areas in those...
Next year we plan for "del bac" mission...
Erik.

jetset1 Mar 12th, 2004 07:39 AM

I'm wondering which dude ranch you like. We have two kids, 14 and 9. I'd love to do a one or two night visit. Are there places where a trail ride can be done in an afternoon? Thanks, J.

monpetit Mar 12th, 2004 07:47 AM

We have been at Lazy K Bar ranch twice,
good for a week,minimum stay I think 3
nights.I think they take "out-guests" for ride but you have to call to appointment.
We've been 4 times at the White Stallion
and we preferr it : only question of atmosphere and I can understand someone prefers the other one.
Minimu stay also 3 nights and I'm sure they take "out-guests" for ride.
"Slow rides" are at 9 a;m. and 2 p.m. and "fast rides" at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
There is on tuesday and thursday a "breakfast" ride, certainly a must for children...departure at 8'30 to
the site, breakfast here and return to
the ranch.
Phone : 888 977 2624 or 520 297 0252
They do have a website :
whitestallion.com
It's really one of our favorite spot for holidays and even with a 8 h jet lag
the week here is so "apaisant" that
you return full of energy...
Erik.
NB : the ranch is in the middle of the
west part of the saguaro park.

jetset1 Mar 12th, 2004 02:42 PM

Thanks Erik. You are very helpful! I'll check those places out soon.

cactushugger Mar 14th, 2004 07:05 AM

Greetings Erik,
Thank you for your reply. I am also a horse lover (and owner) and have heard wonderful things about the White Stallion Ranch. If you ever get the chance to take your trip in mid to late March, you should give it a try. It is a little warmer- but not hot. Best of all some of the cacti and the ocotillas start to bloom. Their flowers attract migrating hummingbirds. That should make your trail rides even more enjoyable.

I'm curious. Where are you coming from that you must fly 8 hours?

I'm not really looking for a ranch type place to stay. Because I will be staying for an entire month I am trying to find a small house- or, possibly a condo to rent. Many people do that in Tucson. I still hope some of them will reply to my message.
Gretchen

monpetit Mar 14th, 2004 09:12 PM

I've not a 8 hours flight, we have a 8 hours jet lag...
We arrive from France==>it's mean with now a minimal 3 to 4 hours delay connection at arrival in US, a #13 to
16 hours" travel, from Paris...but it's OK...
Since I leave the house I'm in holidays...As we flight 3 to 4 times a year to US, we know this inconvenience and accept it.
We plan a march or april stay in 2006
when our daughters will be able to stay without us for a week...
Till now, they come with us and we have to go during school's vacation...
And this year for easter holiday, they
have choosen New York...
Erik.