Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Have You Tried Anything & Tossed It Lately? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/have-you-tried-anything-and-tossed-it-lately-933470/)

tracys2cents Apr 30th, 2012 03:48 PM

Have You Tried Anything & Tossed It Lately?

Archer Farms (from Target) organic Mango Peach Salsa. Tossed it. Tasted like salty Tomato Juice , with a few chunks of tasteless unripened peach. Then they added even MORE salt. Thumbs DOWN!

seetheworld Apr 30th, 2012 03:52 PM

Wrong station? :)

happytrailstoyou Apr 30th, 2012 05:40 PM

I don't toss. I return and get my money back, as I did with some Trader Joe's yogurt which was too runny for my taste.

Similarly, if I buy fruit (such as cantaloupe or pineapple) which isn't up to snuff, I cut it up, put it in the refrigerator and take it back for a refund.

I would no more throw food away than I would throw money away.

HTTY

gomiki Apr 30th, 2012 06:14 PM

I was in TJs this weekend and noticed a very large sign at checkout (actually three of the same) saying if you don't like it return it for a full refund. Can't beat that!

Rastaguytoday Apr 30th, 2012 07:02 PM

Try reposting this on the Fodorite Lounge for more responses.

JanetKMR May 1st, 2012 04:54 AM

I'm a food tosser....I bought some sweet potato corn chips and at first they were good but after eating a few had a weird aftertaste and I tossed the bag.

Sorry about your salsa.....Archer Farms tends to be a reliable brand. Hopefully that one product is a fluke.

iowagirl May 1st, 2012 05:02 AM

No need - I just bring whatever it is to the employee lounge at work and it disappears.

JanetKMR May 1st, 2012 05:04 AM

I miss those days iowagirl....my brother is able to do that.

After holiday dinners, I send so much stuff with him so he can take it to work and get rid of it.

Judyrem May 1st, 2012 05:35 AM

TJ's Skinny Fries, the birds barely ate them! ;-)

sylvia3 May 1st, 2012 06:27 AM

Organic kale salad in a bag.

BKP May 1st, 2012 07:36 AM

Twinings Green Tea w/ Tangerine and Verbena. Tasted like a Green Tea w/ Cleaning Product! :(

cigalechanta May 1st, 2012 07:49 AM

a tin of sardines with lemon juice.
Even Pastis wouldn't eat them.

cat111719 May 1st, 2012 08:22 AM

>>I was in TJs this weekend and noticed a very large sign at checkout (actually three of the same) saying if you don't like it return it for a full refund. Can't beat that!<<

Darn! We just tossed a bottle of Cocobon Wine. I love experimenting with their wines but this was not to our taste at all.

Placename May 1st, 2012 09:24 AM

Some frozen organic vegetable souffle from Whole Foods. It was just awful tasting. Not spoiled, just had weird flavors.

suze May 1st, 2012 10:06 AM

Trader Joes definitely stands up to that promise.

happytrailstoyou May 1st, 2012 10:57 AM

TJ cheerfully gives a full refund for any of its products that fail to please you for any reason. I'm concerned that some of my fellow Fodorites throw money in the garbage.

HTTY

StCirq May 1st, 2012 11:07 AM

I threw out a batch of soup I made a few weeks ago. I don't have too many culinary failures, but it was just awful. Down the drain it went. We also threw out some herring in mustard sauce we bought on sale last week. Just gross - and we like herring. We throw out anything with mold or rot, though that doesn't happen often.

Tiff May 1st, 2012 11:21 AM

Yes! Bleckkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Got my usual Ice Tea at Starbucks and treated myself to a blueberry scone too, both yummy!

Then...

...imagine my delight when I saw a new item ad displaying birthday cake pops! They were so pretty, so I got two as a surprise dessert treat for DH and I - - - we like ourselves some cake! Wooooo hoooooo!

Bleckkkkkkkkkkkk - - - they were so nasty, I spat out what was in my mouth and pitched the pop from my hand right into the garbage.

DH was equally impressed and followed suit. (I am still shuddering, ickkkkk!)

It was the most tasteless sugar item I have ever tasted. Total let down. :&

maribethp May 1st, 2012 11:23 AM

My old khaki pants. One year old.

tracys2cents May 1st, 2012 12:13 PM

I hear ya Happy Trails. I'm not usually a tosser but Target is 20 miles away and I won't be getting back there anytime soon. Chances are when I do happen to stop there, I won't have the jar of salsa in my car. Hopefully posting about this salty product will keep a few other people from wasting their money.

I have brought a few things back to Trader Joes. The lemon ginger ice cream gagged me. The chicken shu-mai had bone fragments. The holiday eggnog chew cookies were an icky sticky mess.

My Trader Joes has had half gallons of "Cranberry Apple Cider" for 99c for the past two months. I think it was a holiday product that never sold. Good way to get your cranberry juice, cheap. Tastes pretty good heated up. It's all juice, not sugar-syrup like the Ocean Spray.