Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Have you stayed at these hotels in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/have-you-stayed-at-these-hotels-in-ft-lauderdale-hollywood-290069/)

hleesa Feb 18th, 2003 08:22 AM

Have you stayed at these hotels in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood?

I'm going to Fort Lauderdale at the end of May and an wondering if anyone has stayed at these hotels in Ft. L or Hollywood:<BR>A Little Inn by the Sea<BR>Driftwood on the Ocean<BR>Greenbriar Beach Club<BR>Lago Mar<BR>Pelican Beach Resort<BR>Holiday Inn Beach <BR>Tropic Sea Resort Motel<BR><BR>Which would you choose, with the priorities being: on beach, near restaurants?<BR><BR>Thanks.

DavidDJ Feb 18th, 2003 09:24 AM

I stayed at the Lago Mar last April when I was in Fort Lauderdale for a conference. I felt that it was a very nice hotel with very good service. The best part was that it was right on the beach. Try and get one of the rooms facing the water. The hotel is just a bit off the beaten path so to speak, so while it is not in the center of Ft. Lauderdale, you can easily get to Las Olas Boulevard which is the city's main street where you will find lots of restaurants, shops, and other entertainment.<BR><BR>Have a great time in South Florida.

diann Feb 18th, 2003 10:28 AM

We stayed last year at Pelican Beach Resort.(??) I don't recall the resort part, but it was owned by Best Western. It was right on the beach, it was old and somewhat tired, but it was clean. It included a nice continental breakfast and the staff was very nice. The beach frontage was the best part.

dotsy Feb 18th, 2003 09:41 PM

Stayed at the Little Inn by the Sea in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea last fall upon the recommendation of a couple we met in Key West. It was adequate. Breakfast was included and the location was great,right on the beach, however, think we could have done better for the same money. It was a bit worn to say the least. Lots of other places on the beach looked fresher and more up to date. Love Lauderdale by the Sea, no high rises, great beach, quiet but close to other towns for more action. Within walking distance to grocery store and shops, a few restaurants.

hleesa Feb 21st, 2003 04:18 PM

I think I am leaning towards the Clarion in Lauderdale-by-the sea. Anyone stay there?

Elnbl Feb 21st, 2003 05:43 PM

Hi. I hate to be negative but I was just in Lauderdale by the Sea last week and was not too impressed with the looks of the Clarion. The Tropic Seas resort looked much nicer and is ocean front. What you should know about the Clarion is that only certain buildings are actually on the water. One building of the property is on A1-A. I was really impressed with the looks of a place called the &quot;Coral Key Inn&quot;. I think their web site is Coralkeyinn.com. It was booked up and I could not stay there but in this forum, it had received very good reviews.

Denzer23 Nov 22nd, 2003 09:32 AM

Hi
I stayed at the Driftwood on the Ocean earlier this month. Its a very basic hotel, old, but the location right on the beach is perfect. The new managers, Richard and Donna are very warm and welcoming. Good value for the money.

Janny Nov 22nd, 2003 07:07 PM

Hleesa

We just got back from Ft. Lauderdale a week ago and stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort. EXCELLENT property.
The only negative is you have to pay for parking. Other than that I definetly recommend this hotel. It's located directly on the beach. We had an oceanview room and watched the beautiful Florida sunrises from our balcony. We also got to see the cruise ships from the resort. Nice size pool, tennis courts, if you are taking kids they even have activities set up for the kids at different times. You are close to all the action (Las Olas Blvd) and restaurants. I got a good price for this hotel on priceline. If you bid, please make sure and choose &quot;resort&quot;. I paid $105 a night. It was defintely worth it!!!

Good Luck......