Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you stayed at Gouldings Trading Post in Monument Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has stayed at Gouldings? We have a reservation for a cabin/house which is not part of their hotel, but "near by". I'd appreciate any feed back you might have on what we can expect with these accommodations. We are 3 older women traveling together and a 3 bedroom house sounded perfect for this part of our trip.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
No, but I will the next time I'm out there.

You may enjoy this article from Vanity Fair. I found it fascinating -
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...t-valley200903
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM

I stayed at a cabin in the campground. It was one of the worst places I've stayed at, but I would certainly do it again. We arrived late in the evening. I had told them we would be arriving late when I made the reservation. Late being just about 9:00pm, just getting dark. Anyway, and indian man was sitting on the front porch, waiting for us with a key. Now that was going out of his way. He refused a tip(which is shocking on the reservation). The area is a little 3rd worldish type of situation. Pretty backwards and behind times. However, we did enjoy it and would do it again.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM

I stayed there one night with Cosmos tour - the hotel itself is lovely, everybody was on their balconies to watch the stars and sunrise next morning.

We also had dinner in the restaurant, and fry bread was a new thing to try, I had a pizza made on it.

Don't remember campgrounds, but there was houses across the road where the tour bus picked us up. I think it was like 10 yeards away from the main hotel. The area is beautiful, but far away from everything. Vere serene.

We had a jeep tour from Goulding, a word of caution, if anybody in your group has breathing difficulties, this tour is very dusty.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM

Were houses oh, I need to learn to read before I post!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM

We have stayed at Gouldings and The View--they both cost more than they should because of the location. Were I visit Monument Valley again, I would stay at Gouldings because the food is better and I can have a glass of wine with dinner there.

<this tour is very dusty> It was very dusty on our first visit, but not on the second one. How dusty it is must depend on time of year, weather conditions, or some other factors that don't come immediately to mind.

HTTY
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM

I stayed in one of the three camping cabins 2 years ago with my friend. We are both in our early 40's and could not have had a better girl time together! The cabins have bunk beds and one double, a sml bathroom and a cool loft double bed! The views from our little cabin were amazing!!! We had a campfire at night, wood is available at the Gouldings store and had a wonderful bbq on their bbq grill. you'll need to purchase charcoal as well. It was super windy when we were there in April, so dress accordingly. MV is not complete without taking one of the tours. We loved our cabin and plan on returning this coming April for another girls road trip. Ps. I think it was only 65 for the nite...scenery alone is worth it!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM

I've stayed at Gouldings many times but not these cabins, which I think are near the nearby campground. Gouldings is the best bet in the MV area, with nice views from the patios of most rooms. If you're unsure about the 'cabin' I'd keep trying to get a room in the main lodge, but the posts above from people who stayed there seem to indicate the cabin is OK, if a bit more rustic than the lodge.

Gouldings restaurant is also the best bet for meals in the area.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM

You won't regret staying there, it is a very beautiful place. I live not very far from there.