Have you flown with Spirit Airlines?

Jul 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Have you flown with Spirit Airlines?

Hi y'all, Thinking of purchasing a flight on Spirit from DFW to SJU. A friend says she heard they were 'horrible' based on the experience of another friend. What say you? I'm interested in any feedback/experiences with this airline. TIA, cdg
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I have flown from D.C. to Florida on Spirit Airways and my son has flown from D.C. to Central America on Spirit Airways. I was apprehensive about booking both flights because of Spirit Airway's reputation, but the fares were just so much less than the other airlines that I did it.
I thought our flight was perfectly fine as did my son. The trick is to remember that there isn't much legroom and that you will be "nickel and dimed" for everything, including paying for carry-on luggage as well as checked luggage.
If you decide to book a flight on Spirit, I would suggest that you read everything carefully well as you book. When I booked my son's flight about a year ago, the website had an option to buy travel insurance that you had to "uncheck". I failed to notice that and had to contact the insurance company to cancel it (which I was able to do so) but it was just one more thing.
I would certainly consider flying Spirit again if the fare was cheap.
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM

You may get more replies if you post this on the "Air travel"forum.
Jul 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM
DMG

You should only take Spirit Airline if the total fare will be less than you would pay on another airline. We have to add money to sit in aisle seats, and even to bring carryon luggage. That being said, if you sit on an aisle, especially in an exit row, the seats were okay and our flights have been good. Remember, you even pay for water on Spirit. The washroom however is not an additional charge - yet!
Jul 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! Found a flight on AA and using points. For future travel, will take advantage of Spirit's low cost flights, if the opportunity presents itself again.