Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Have you ever rent a car? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/have-you-ever-rent-a-car-1068783/)

Edward_Mei Aug 16th, 2015 11:06 PM

Have you ever rent a car?

Hi guys, just want to ask are you ever rent a car in North America like
New York, Los Angeles or Chicago?
How was the experience, like the services etc?

janisj Aug 16th, 2015 11:16 PM

Why are you asking about rental cars <i>again</i>?

Wouldn't possibly have anything to do w/ your website, now would it? :?

lcuy Aug 17th, 2015 01:02 AM

I doubt anyone on this site would rent cars in America. That would be so very unusual.

nytraveler Aug 17th, 2015 03:31 AM

I would imagine almost everyone here has rented a car - probably numerous times.

Experience and services vary considerably by company, destination, luck of the draw, time of year and a host of other factors.

We only do Hertz since we have a significant corporate cost benefit, including free upgrades, etc. Have generally found them reliable.

But what are you really asking????

abram Aug 17th, 2015 04:49 AM

Goofy question, but I'll go.
We've rented cars in California, Arizona, Washington, Colorado, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, New Jersey, New York, and possibly other places I have forgotten.

doug_stallings Aug 17th, 2015 05:07 AM

I rent cars all the time. At many airports, there are car-rental desks and you can walk outside or into a garage, jump in your car and drive off. At other airports you have to take a shuttle to an off-airport car-rental place (the actual rental desk may be in or outside the airport).

Unless you are driving somewhere from NYC, it's expensive to rent a car here, but it's considerably easier renting at EWR or JFK than at LGA.

If you are coming from outside the US, you'll need to consider the issue of insurance. Many non-American renters get a good deal on a car rental bundled with insurance. It depends on the country whether or not your own insurance will cover you in the US. But in California, a non-US renter almost always has to buy insurance because that state (alone in the US) requires all renters to have liability insurance; all other US states require car-rental companies to carry liability on behalf of renters.

janisj Aug 17th, 2015 06:41 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a troll . . .

But help if you have a better heart than me ;)

doug_stallings Aug 17th, 2015 06:49 AM

It's a poster who asked in another thread if he should rent a car to visit Disneyland in California. I don't think he's a troll.

NeoPatrick Aug 17th, 2015 07:03 AM

Well Doug, since this poster lists a website on his profile that rents things -- including automobiles in California, and since he lists his residence as California -- I kind of doubt he's a "typical" troll. I think Janice got it right.

vincenzo32951 Aug 17th, 2015 07:21 AM

No car, but I did rent a train once in NYC. Won't do it again -- too difficult to parallel park.

NeoPatrick Aug 17th, 2015 07:37 AM

That was your mistake, vincenzo. I always use valet parking when I rent a train.

IMDonehere Aug 17th, 2015 07:43 AM

Why yes, I rented a car yesterday.

janisj Aug 17th, 2015 09:09 AM

>>It's a poster who asked in another thread if he should rent a car to visit Disneyland in California. I don't think he's a troll.<<

>>Well Doug, since this poster lists a website on his profile that rents things -- including automobiles in California, and since he lists his residence as California -- I kind of doubt he's a "typical" troll. I think Janice got it right.<<

Bingo . . . ;)

logandog Aug 17th, 2015 11:30 AM

Here in California we don't say "rent" a car. We say "hire" a car.

NeoPatrick Aug 17th, 2015 11:40 AM

logandog, I'm curious if you're trying to make a joke or if you're actually serious. I'm well aware that British and other Europeans usually say "hire a car" referring to renting one, but in the US, including California "hire a car" generally refers to hiring a limo or a chauffeur driven car. Even airports in California list the places where one gets a rental car as "rental cars" or "rental car return", etc. I know there are places like Budget Rent a Car and Enterprise Rental Car -- well, let's face it -- all of them use the word rental -- not hire. Or are you an ex pat Brit living in California?