NYC - play suggestions

Search

NYC - play suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - play suggestions

You've helped me figure out a hotel and parking. Now on to plays. We will be in NYC for 4 nights and hope to see 4 plays. I'm leaning towards musicals.

I thought it might help if I listed plays I've seen and whether I liked them.

Mamma Mia! - Las Vegas – liked a lot
Movin' Out – NYC – OK
Avenue Q – Las Vegas- liked
Wicked – Chicago – had trouble hearing
Monty Python's Spamalot – Las Vegas – not wild about
Jersey Boys – Las Vegas – really really liked
Mary Poppins –Indianapolis- loved sets- disappointed in changes from classic movie
In the Heights – NYC - really liked
Billy Elliot the Musical – NYC - really really liked
Rock of Ages – Indianapolis - not wild about
Memphis –NYC - really liked
Million Dollar Quartet - NYC – felt it was slow until the end

Some of the plays that I am thinking of are:
Anything Goes
How to Succeed
War Horse
Spiderman

I also wonder about (since they were in the running for the Tony.

o Catch Me If You Can
o The Scottsboro Boys
o Sister Act –

Or maybe (if they are still there)
o Next to Normal
o American Idiot
o Fela!

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Anything Goes and How to Suceed in Business Without Really Trying are classics for american musical theater. I would see one of those if you like musicals...and braodway is the place to see them. I do not know how these versions are.
Folks in san francisco liked American Idiot. I didnt see it.
I havent heard reviews of Fela but I bet the music and dancing are great. Good for getting a better understanding of an overseas culture too (for me, anyway).
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM

You might want to consider putting the word "musicals" in the title for your item, as folks might not understand that you are asking about theater in NYC when you say "play".
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:37 PM

Given your list, (and I've seen many of the shows you liked) I'd recommend How to Succeed. I saw it last year with Daniel Radcliffe. The first few scenes were a bit slow but it picked up and was really fun. Check broadwaybox.com for discounts and to see what shows are still open. Some on your list have closed.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 03:19 AM

Anything Goes is brilliant. How to Succeed was great with the original cast -not sure about the current cast. Sister Act was boring.

War Horse is serious - not sure if this is what you want.

Why not have a look at PLaybill.com to see reviews?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 04:29 AM

American Idiot, Fela, Catch Me if You Can, Next to Normal, and Scottsboro Boys have all closed.

I would really think about Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (especially since you liked Mama Mia. Priscilla is better, in my opinion.) Really fun, good heart, amazing costumes, and some major talent.

War Horse has a simple book but completely phenomenal puppets. But as another said, it's serious and pretty sad.

I adored Once Off-Broadway and have heard good things about Broadway production, so I'd also consider that (it's based on the movie Once and the music is just lovely.)

Anything Goes and How to Succeed: I actually didn't love either of these, with the exception of one or two numbers. I know I'm in the minority, but I found them both a bit boring.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Warhorse is very good, but its not a musical.

What about the revival of Evita? I think that would be fun, especially if you've never seen it.

of course, you haven't mentioned a budget...if money is no object, I'd go to a re-seller and get tickets for Book of Mormon
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:00 AM

Anything Goes, Sister Act, Priscilla, Anything Goes are all frothy fun musicals Based on what you said you "really really liked" (Jersey Boys and Billy Elliott) which have more than a bit of "grit" to their stories not sure if these frothy ones are your best options.

Spiderman got skewered by the critics but if you enjoy visual pyrotechnics, some people love that about it. Ghost the musical hasn't opened but that could be a contender. I haven't seen it but Once sounds like another good option. I agree that the Evita revival might also be a good one for you.

Here's a list of what's currently playing or about to open with clickable links to a brief description. A lot of these can be bought at discount using either Playbill codes (you must register for free on their website) or go to the left column of broadwaybox.com
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Yikes, loads of typos and no list. Sorry. Here's the list http://playbill.com/events/listing/1/Broadway-Shows/
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:23 AM

http://www.didhelikeit.com/ is a good site that I use for reading reviews. We've seen several of the same shows that you have and have the same opinions of them. We just picked up tickets to War Horse. I wanted Book of Mormon, but the tickets were incredibly expensive.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:30 AM

When are you going to be here? There are several things opening up soon, and discount tickets are available if you are here at the right time. I just got an offer yesterday for Leap of Faith (based on the Steve Martin movie). Brand new musical.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:03 AM

We are seeing Newsies (among others) in May while we are there so you might look at that.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM

I'd add Peter and the Star Catcher and Porgy and Bess to your list.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thanks for all the help. I've made a revised list - taking off the ones that have ended - and adding the others that people have mentioned. I started looking at the sites mentioned for reviews. It is going to be hard to narrow our choices down to 4 plays.

I especially appreciate everyone that noted what I liked when helping me with suggestions, the new suggestions, and the links.

I don't know how I traveled before fodors.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:38 PM

Oooh! I agree on Book of Mormon! Cant wait for that to get to san francisco!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Here's a summary of the current plays I'm thinking of including your suggestions:

?Anything Goes - classic – brilliant-boring- frothy
?How to Succeed – classic –great - boring
*War Horse – serious, sad, phenomenal puppets
*Spiderman – visual pyrotechnics
Sister Act – boring-frothy
*Priscilla, Queen of the Desert- Really fun, good heart, amazing costumes, and some major talent-frothy
Once
Book of Mormon –through re-seller
Ghost – if it has opened
Peter and the Star catcher
Porgy and Bess
*Newsies

We could squeeze in a 5th play if we go to two on Wednesday. But that might be too much.

I took off Evita as I've seen it (regionally), but didn't think to have it on my list.

I'm leaning towards the ones with * or ?. I wonder if the (?) Anything Goes or How to Succeed should be eliminated because they are older and I am more likely to see them elsewhere.

I do like spectacles. As someone mentioned, I also like "grit."
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM

I can say I saw "Anything goes" a week or so ago. It was amazing and we loved it. If you like musicals of course. I thought it was adorable, cute, funny and it was a great day. I have seen "Jersey Boys" and Mamma Mia, and I liked this better. Some you mention I have not seen so I cannot compare of course. Whatever you see enjoy!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Newsies says: (on Playbill's site)

Show Dates:
Performances from 15 Mar 2012
Opening 29 Mar 2012

What does this mean?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Someone else probably knows more, but if I had to guess I would say it is in previews from March 15-28th and opens officially on the 29th. I know it is a limited run. Our tickets are for Memorial Day.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:00 PM

musicfan is correct. Previews beginning March 15, with its official opening two weeks later.
OF all the shows you've mentioned, I'd put Anything Goes atop the list.
I don't understand your comment that this show and How to Succeed "should be eliminated because they are older and I am more likely to see them elsewhere." Several of the other shows on your list are just as likely to be playing elsewhere in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -