Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you been to the Sawgrass Mills outlets in Ft Lauderdale recently? Pls advise...

Have you been to the Sawgrass Mills outlets in Ft Lauderdale recently? Pls advise...

May 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Is it worth the trip? Have read older postings; old, outdated and not worth the trip. Has it improved over the years? Is it a outlet mall (enclosed) or outdoor outlets? Would like to hear if the shops are worth going to. Thanks in advance.
May 7th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I was there a few months ago; its about 1 hour from my house. I think it is "seedy". I have never found many bargains there. It is HUGE. I like the outdoor part where Ron Jon Surf Shop is....a variety of good restaurants. I always find myself wandering around Target because there is nothing that impressive in the stores...same ol' stuff as any other mall. Guess it depends on what you are looking for; but it is definitely not that upscale. LOTS of people from Miami seem to go there...
May 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Neopolitan

I'm not much of a shopper, but that said, I think if you are one and if you are into the outlets Sawgrass has to be one of the best. It is huge and there are many stores that really aren't outlets or don't have any particular bargains. Others gather last year's merchandise at major savings -- but not unlike the bargains you might find at "end of season" sales anywhere.
On the other hand I stood one day drooling over a $2100 Hugo Boss suit for $175 at the Neiman Marcus outlet! Yes that's right. I was willing to do the minor alterations until I woke up and realized that I haven't worn a suit in about 5 years. And I have bought some wonderful things at rock bottom prices at Saks Off Fifth and a couple of other major outlets. Like any outlet place you have to recognize and know a bargain when you see one -- they are ther.

Mostly it is a huge indoor mall. But there is an outdoor sort of mall extension where the Cheesecake Factory and some other major restaurants are located along with some other shops.

May 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM

It is definitely worth the trip. My husband and I went there three weeks ago and had a nice time. There are new upscale shops and restaurants in the newer area called the Colonade Outlets and the Oasis. Check out the website. It will answer all your questions.
May 7th, 2006, 07:36 AM

When I visited years ago, the locals explained to me that there was something about the store signs that mde it easy to distinguish between the real outlets and the "outlets" that were really just stores, somteims selling cheaply-made merchandise that's manufacturered specifically for "outlets". Sorry I can't remember the details, it was something about the stores' signs, either the shape or the exact terms used..
May 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I wasn't impressed by Sawgrass Mills. It had the same stores found in most outlet venues (Hilfiger, Polo, etc..) I found the Premium Outlet in Orlando to have the typical stores and more.(Versace, Hugo Boss, Armani, Lacoste, Anne klein,etc). I'd also suggest that you go to the websites, look at the stores, and decide which mall best meets your needs. Sawgrass does have better dining options than Premium.
May 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your responses. Any recommendations for decent malls in Fort Lauderdale? How about the Galleria mall?
May 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Neopolitan

For a "regular" mall, head to Boca Raton and the Town Center Mall -- Nordstrom's, Neiman, Saks, Bloomingdales, plus all the other regulars and a number of upscale ones.

May 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou!!! Is the town center mall also in Boca Raton? How far from Ft Lauderdale, we are staying at the Harbor beach marriott. I can not thank you enough, we are only there for 3 nights and want to go to the good malls.
May 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Neopolitan

Oh, yes, that's what I meant. Town Center is right off I-95 at Glades exit then to the west for a couple of blocks (away from the Ocean).

May 7th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Noelle,
The Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale has been around for ages but has just had a complete renovation. It has upscale stores (even a Elizabeth Arden Red Door)..It also has marvelous restaurants such as the Blue Martini, Season 52, (read a review at)http://tinyurl.com/z9t2x. You really don't need to drive all the way to Boca Raton. In addition, they have a very upscale "fast food" in the Palm Court...salads are great. Especially good is the Thai salad.
May 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I am a Galleria fan ...big time. It is a gorgeous mall... Neiman's, Saks, Dillard's & Macy's which is closed for renovations now due to Wilma. They have a Capitol Grill too and a PF Changs is coming soon...I love Seasons 52! I often walk there, less than a 1/2 mile from our house. One thing about the Galleria..you can walk to the beach, which is about 1/2 mile away or you can sit at Borders outside patio which is on the water...gorgeous. Their food court is wonderful too and kept us decently fed during Wilma.
May 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM

We were there in February. I agree with poster who called it seedy. It is poorly laid out, signage is often wrong (stores on map are not actually there), mid-day, mid-week it was filled with people ages about 25-35 with many small children along, who got bored and obnoxious quickly.

One of the worst so-called oulet malls I have been to recently.
May 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Neopolitan

I'll admit I haven't been to Galleria in a while, but what Town Center has that the Galleria doesn't is Nordstroms and Bloomingdales, in my humble opinion better than all those other stores that both malls have.

May 8th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

How far from the Harbor Beach Marriott (Ft Lauderdale) is the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton? Is it a long drive? One more question (I hope), the Galleria does sound nice but if Neiman Marcus and Saks are closed, I don't think I would go. How long do they plan to stay closed?
May 8th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Certainly not a discount or outlet destination, City Place in West Palm Beach is worth a trip. (cityplace.com). Set over many city blocks - both a main building and smaller shops along city-type streets. Fountains, nice landscaping, huge parking garage. Higher end shops, bars, restaurants. When we were there in February a couple was even getting married outside in front of a fountain (not my idea of an ideal wedding location, no matter how nice it is, it is still a mall).
May 8th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Cityplace does look very nice and have always wanted to see West Palm Beach. Is it really far from Ft Lauderdale (Harbor Beach)?
May 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Sorry about the my incomplete info...Saks and Neiman's and Dillards are open ONLT Macy's is still closed. Neo...true about Nordstroms being the best (not Bloomies),,BUT Galleria has water....VERY close by...., my DH and Mum liked to lounge by Borders waterfront. IMHO, Boca is a just a tad too sterile for me.
May 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM

West Palm is around 38 VERY under contruction miles,,,it is a mess.
May 12th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Re: Sawgrass Mills Mall--it's the largest outlet mall, but as other posters pointed out, not necessarily the best. The outside area is called Oasis, and the brand new upscale outlet part is called Colonnades. Most of it is indoors and the mall is laid out in the shape of an alligator, 1.25 miles from end to end, one level. It is across from the Office Depot Center in Sunrise, if any concerts happen to be there when you visit (also where the Panthers play hockey).

Don't go to West Palm Beach. If you want a nice mall outside of Ft. Lauderdale, try Aventura Mall in Aventura, about ten miles south of Fort Lauderdale. It's two levels, enclosed, upscale, and has lots of dining options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO