Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you been to Canyon Ranch, and was it worth the cost?

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a brief trip to Canyon Ranch, Tucson, for me and my husband, to celebrate a birthday. We have never been to a place like that. We do like to travel. For the cost of a stay at Canyon Ranch we could take a trip to Europe with the kids.....there isn't much in Fodors forums about Canyon Ranch.

If you have been to Canyon Ranch, especially the one in Tucson, and especially as part of a couple, did you feel the cost was worth it? Did it help you learn any good habits you adopted going forward? Did you enjoy it? Would you do it again?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been to Canyon Ranch, but I'm familiar with the concept of a destination spa and am about to take my 3rd destination spa trip next week (also to Tucson, but to Miraval and not CR). I have been to Mii Amo (Phoenix) and Lodge at Woodloch (Hawley PA). All of my trips have been (and will be) 3 night stays. All have been roughly the same cost (which seems to be similar to CR) and all have been FANTASTIC.

Yes, it's extremely expensive...as you say, you could easily take a vacation to Europe at the same cost (or cheaper). But I've found my trips to be well worth the money. It gives me an opportunity to really connect with my friends (same group of women travel each year), I get to be pampered to ridiculous levels (hot stone massage every day? Thank you!), I get all meals and are ensured that they are very healthy, and I get to try some really neat activities/exercise/spiritual classes and events I wouldn't normally try. So...I love it, and I will continue to do it again and again and again.

As for what I learned in terms of good habits...that's a little tougher, because I already have pretty good habits. I guess the habit I've learned is to try new exercises/activities and to really pamper myself on these spa trips as a payback for the rest of the year when I get to be stressed out instead.