Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have I made a Grand Canyon of a Mistake???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 04:05 PM
robert

Going to Hawaii over Thanksgiving and S. Amer. in February. Thought it might be nice to squeeze in a long weekend. Booked two nights at South Rim Grand Canyon and two nights Las Vegas for second weekend in January. Now I am reading weather reports--sounds icy/snowy/frigid. Questions: Will driving be dangerous for a flat-lander (I live on a semi-tropical island and am not used to snowy roads)? Do rental cars provide snow tires? Will there be decent views at the canyon this time of year; and will it be too windy/bitter cold to enjoy? Are the roads between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon Village steep/narrow/winding, or wide and likely to be well-scraped/salted? Will the same weather hold for Las Vegas? We don't even OWN real winter coats! I guess I had January visions of Southern California, not Northern Montana. Help!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:34 PM
Paul Rabe

It can snow in northern Arizona during January, although it rarely is a blizzard or last very long. However, you will need warm clothing; the key is layering so that you can adjust in case the temperature changes over time. Cold spells in Las Vegas are also possible but much rarer.

If you've never driven in frozen precipitation, I guess you might learn sooner than you would prefer! The best advice I can give is to SLOW DOWN. You can drive at 80 miles per hour on ice -- you just can't STOP!

The Canyon is just as beautiful and big in the winter as it is in the summer -- just MUCH smaller crowds. You may get fog such that you won't see much, or you may get crystal clear skies if a cold front has just come through. If it snows just before you arrive, you'll get a view of Canyon beauty that few people are rewarded with. So just go with a good attitude, and enjoy one of the most breath-taking places on this planet!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:55 PM
Weather-Nut

Robert,
The website below will give the actual recorded high, low, and average temps, rainfall, etc. day by day for the month of January, 2001.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/lasvegas/LCDJAN.shtml

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:38 PM
Weather-Nut

Grand Canyon Weather at the following website:

http://www.grand-canyon-inn.com/canyoninfo/

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:58 PM
Jeanette

Please be aware (I just did it last week) that the roads from Las Vegas to the G.C. are NOT as the crow flys. It took us 7 hours to get to Tusayan from Las Vegas and that was in perfect weather. It is the kind of road that has long, long upgrades or downgrades. You aren't doing any steep dropoffs or mountain edge driving. I was totally lead astray by all weather reports. They said 30 to 60 degrees. In Tusayan and Grand Canyon Village (South Rim)there was ice on the car hood in the very early am but by 10 o'clock it was 90 degrees out. My friend went in December and also had his coat completely off by noon. I had not one correct outfit for this Grand Canyon part of the trip- everything I had was way too heavy. Go with layers, as one poster suggested. We stayed at the Grand and they told me that all the G.C. weather reads are actually taken much closer to Flagstaff at a higher elevation and that's way they are so misleading at many times of the year.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Ann

I went to the Grand Canyon in February a few years ago, and it was cold, and there was plenty of snow on the ground. You'll be okay as long as you don't commit the mortal sin of driving on snow and ice: constant braking. The secret is to maintain a steady, slow pace. 95% of accidents happen when people brake suddenly on ice or snow. When you do need to brake for a stop light or whatever, just give yourself plenty of time to ease into it.

In Las Vegas, however, it was 70 degrees. Death Valley, too, was balmy (of course!).

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Ann

Meant to add: the Canyon was simply gorgeous in the snow, particularly at sunrise.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:10 PM
robert

Thanks, guys! This is proving somewhat reassuring.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Fred

Robert,

You could get warm or cold, it just depends on your luck. one of the big secrets for cold weather is , gasp, long underwear and cheap too. Hard to peel off in public though if it does get warm. You won't need them in Vegas. As one reply suggested weather at the canyon should be similar to Flagstaff. Drive slow and have fun.