Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hassles of Midway vs. O'hare? Things to do in Chicago or Milwaukee at Xmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help?
Have to commit to a flight asap to see family in Milwaukee. Only flying as far as Chicago but finding better rates into Midway.
Flying w/elderly mom.

Does anyone know if the SWA flights have regular 'gangplanks/breezeways' or whether you have to take stairs from the planes? (like at some airports Southwest frequents)

Also, could use tips for best way to drive to Brookfield, WI from here.
Guess we have to factor in an extra half hour from Midway? Arriving at 8pm on a Sat night...leaving probably the same time, on a Sunday night. Likelihood for bad traffic?

AND...if taking one night to 'play' in Chicago...
well, maybe I should post that separately? If don't get many replies here, guess I will. For now will leave it as a combo.

Looking for fave holidays activities there & sights
of either Chicago or Milw at this time of year.
Thanks so much!
Ps. Someone mentioned a Christmas Carol at the Goodman on an earlier thread. Is this a special, unique theatre, or not so much, really? Btw, travelling from San Francisco area for this Christmas. Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Would also appreciate any rec's for a romantic place to stay in Chicago for this time of year.
Something w/view of holiday lights/festivities? Or,
some cozy place walking distance from the heart of things?

We don't need to stay near Midway (if we ultimately pick it) as flight not until evening. Will be just the two of us, for the return, as mom staying on for a bit w/family. Thanks again!

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Can't help with other requested info, but every SW flight we've taken into/out of Midway have had regular jetways - no stairs.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM

My Southwest flight into Midway a few weeks ago had a regular "gangplank" into the gate area, not steps. I'd always choose Midway over O'Hare in a heartbeat - O'Hare is way too busy and prone to delays. Plus I prefer Southwest anyway. No contest for me, but not everyone is crazy about Southwest.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM

My experience with Midway is jetways for all the planes. Second, I always prefer Midway if given a choice because it is only 20 minutes into the Loop via the "L" rather than hour from O'Hare.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I usually fly southwest to Chicago and have never had to use steps. On the other hand, I have flown United to Ohare and had steps from the plane and had to climb steps to get into the airport!

I would suggest someplace on/near Michigan avenue if you want to be near the action/see holiday lights.
We take an annual "girlfriends" trip in December and always stay on or near Michigan Avenue. That way we can walk to where ever we want.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Any possibility of flying to Milwaukee? We did 2 weeks ago, non-stop from BWI and that airport was a breeze. But we did have stairs on our Midwest flights.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
JJ5

I fly O'Hare only when I have to, usually internationally. Midway is much easier logistics.

And honestly, ever time we have weather or other safety considerations, on the news: Delay at OHare 2 to 3 hours, Delay at Midway 1 to 1-1/2 hours etc.

Theatre, and much more is available. I don't know if the winter delights program is out that early, but it may be. Google Winter Delights Chicago hotels, just to see.

That includes combos for hotel/activity for 1 or 2 days.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this helpful
feedback! Midway clearly wins here
but was wondering if that's the case even WITH having to drive to Milw afterwards? (further away
than from O'hare)

I would like to go into MKE but prices much more, and last time, we tried to, couldn't get further than Chicago anyway due to snow probs.
So, hubby said it's almost as easy just to go as far as Chicago.

Thought too I might see relatives in that area, on the way out. (a godmother who might visit her family there) That's why I was wondering about Xmas things to do in Chicago...sights to see, lights, etc. Thanks again!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I took Southwest from Oakland to Midway, and if there were any stairs, I would remember that!

Don't take public transportation. The El doesn't always have elevators / escalators available. After landing, your choices would be either taxi or shuttles.

No need to make shuttle reservation. Just take the first available.

Not sure if for 2 people shuttle is cheaper then a taxi. For one person it's $20, check the Internet as the 2nd person going to the same address is usually cheaper, like $10 or so.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Don't know if you've made your reservation, but if I was going straight from the airport to Milwaukee, I'd much rather fly into O'Hare. Getting from the south side (Midway) to Milwaukee could be brutal with the traffic. O'Hare is closer to Milwaukee.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:28 PM

At 8:00 on a Saturday night, traffic shouldn't be that much of a problem. Take Cicero Avenue north out of Midway and, in a couple of miles or so, you'll come to an entrance ramp for I-55 (the Stevenson Expressway). You can take the Stevenson south to I-294 (the Tri-state) which becomes I-94 to Milwaukee.

As for holiday activities,the Christkindlmarket at Daley Plaza is fun. It may end before Christmas though.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Fun things to do in Milwaukee at Xmas: go ice skating at Red Arrow Park (N. Water St., downtown) at evening. Skating is free. You can rent skates if needed. There's a Starbucks attached & it's magical in the evening, both skating & watching skaters.

Take a tour of the Pabst Mansion to see beautiful Victorian Xmas decorations.

Check out www.onmilwaukee.com Their weekly on-line zine lists lots of things to do in Milwaukee and surrounding areas. OnMilwaukee.com is a staple for Milwaukeeans looking for things to do during the upcoming week! Have fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I must disagree with dear Faina. There is a station on the El with elevators at Roosevelt. We took the train from Midway Friday and it was 20 minutes and costs 2 bucks each way. I LOVED it. Have you considered traveling by train to Milwaukee? The public transportation system is great....no driving, traffic hassles and believe me there are MANY of those in that area!!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM

I hope you haven't booked a flight into Midway. Even at 8:00 on a Saturday, it can be terrible, especially the Saturday before Christmas. If we happen to have bad weather, you could seriously spend 5 hours getting from Midway to Milwaukee.

Christkindlmarkt (as mentioned by someone else) will not be over when you get to Chicago and is my absolute favorite part about Christmas in Chicago. It's an outdoor market that is pretty small in area (not too much for your elderly mother) that has traditional German food and a wide variety of mostly handmade art pieces from Germany, Poland, and (oddly) Nicaragua. Buy a mug of gluewein (hot spiced wine) and you get a pretty Christmas souvenier mug (it warms you right up!).

Take a trip to see the windows at the former Marshall Fields (now owned by Macy's) on State Street. Every year they do massive, elaborate, mechanized displays that are usually like 10-feet tall pop-up books. The last few years have been fairy tales, like Cinderella. While you're there, have dinner or desert in the Walnut Room and see the 4-5 story Christmas tree. The Walnut Room is inside, and is a Chicago tradition.

Take a walk (or ride) down Michigan Avenue to see the Christmas lights.

If you are leaving Chicago on the Sunday after Christmas, I am pretty sure that the windows will still be up, the Walnut Room is open year-round, and there's always Millennium Park if it's not too cold. You may have more time to have fun if you get to Chicago earlier on Sunday and play before flying out (and you may convince your family to come play with you!)

Aww, thinking about Chicago at Christmas is making me very very homesick!

Have a ton of fun, and good luck!