Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has the stock market crash affected your plans to travel?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
Jack

Just curious. How has the crash in the stock market affected your plans to spend money on travel? Are you going but downsizing the quality of your trip hotels/food/etc.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:01 AM
Goodbye

If this keeps up a lot people will be traveling, from the 21st floor to the pavement.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:01 AM
no job

I used to have a well paying job and traveled leisurely several times a year. With no job (and none in sight), travel is a thing of the past.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
xxxxx

No, this will have no effect on my vacation plans.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:50 AM
xxx

Indirectly yes. I haven't had a raise for two years, so my salary has actually decreased in real terms. Plus, a friend of mine went on vacation and when she came back, she no longer had a job. Another was on vacation when she found out her promotion (and associated raise) was canceled.
We will still HOPE to take a vacation this year, but we're certainly cutting back on spending and the length of time we're away.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
w

For those of us who work in travel related businesses please - PLEASE - travel soon and often.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:53 AM
nina

No. We try not to think about it. Thanks for the reminder though.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Eric

It is a catch 22 situation. If people were logical in today's economy, they would save their money for the current or soon to come rainy day and not travel.

Though if everyone was logical and cut out spending on extras, like travel, then our country would go into an even wirse depression.

Your choice.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
curious

Nothing ever affects nina, isn't that "curious". How's the reception on that $10,000 T.V. set?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
not

curious, Hmmm, isn't that what cable is for, or do some people still use coat hangers?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:21 AM
nina

Curious,

I don't live in Westport. Do you?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
i like

For God's sake, stop bickering.

Since I'm investng for the long (20+) years, the stock market decline is not affecting my travel plans. However, questions about the long-term plans of my company and the poor job market are now in the back of my mind when I plan trips. I'll be going to Maui in Nov-Dec and was hoping to do a side trip to Kauai, but now I'm thinking I should save that money "just in case."

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:39 PM
rollercoastersmake

Bickering? I didn't see any bickering, did you hear any bickering? Ilove, you seem to be having delusions. Did you forget your meds?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
sean

no changes for this year.
we planned and saved for our trips
outside of our normal retirement and investment savings.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Stimulator

Yes. I am spending more on travel as at least I get something for my money. Also buying a luxury car and increasing charitable donations. Life is short, enjoy it. Next thing, the market will be up but your health will fail.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
xxx

With all the money we've lost in the market we could have lived abroad in 5 star hotels for an entire year! Scary to think of it in those terms. But this year we are traveling more as we're not worried about saving as much and just having some fun. Like others say you could be gone tomorrow....Can't make much interest right now so we're living it up a little. After this year we'll probably tighten up the buckle again.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
You Bet

Absolutely. We're within 7 yrs. of retirement and lost 10% of our retirement fund, which wasn't that much to begin with. Money is going into a money mkt. account. If the market turns around sooner than 3-5 yrs., we might consider travel, but doubt if it'll be back to 10,000 in that time.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:35 PM
Cherish

Definately downsizing! We are usually able to use ff miles for all 5 of us. Not so this year. Decided on a road trip closer to home. We always prefered staying in resort type condos rather than hotels. With 3 older kids, it's cheaper than two rooms, alot roomier, and we keep breakfast,lunch, snacks and drinks in the fridge.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:38 AM
sandy

The market hasn't affected us at all really. My husband and I both have excellent job security (I'm a teacher, he's a military officer), and while we have lost considerable money in the market recently, we are in our late 20's and have plenty of time before retirement to give the market a chance to make it up. If you can do it, now seems like a great time to travel because there are deals to be had!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:58 AM
J. Carson

Wilma Lee, what's the stock market?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -