Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has the "Magic" finally gone out of Disney?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it certainly has. If I ever bring up a Disney vacation of any kind, I hope somebody beats me senseless. We just returned from 6 days of pure hell at Disneyworld, the Happiest Celebration on Earth. Before I get flamed for poor planning, or unreasonable expectations, let me tell you that this my 12th trip to Disney (World and Land) over 25 years (many with kids aged 5+), so I knew full well what was ahead of us, but this time it was unbelievable. Our trip did not start well when our United for Ted flight left 6 hours late because of brake problems on the plane. On arrival at MCO, we stood more than an hour in the Alamo Rental car line, while the other rental counters were empty of customers. The Alamo rep convinced us that we had too much luggage for the full size car we reserved (wife and teen-age daughter), so we upgraded to a premium car, which then qualified us for a further AAA upgrade to a luxury car. The Alamo guy told us to pick from any car parked in the Luxury row in the parking garage. When we got out to the garage, there was only one car in the Luxury Row, a full size Cadillac, loaded with every option available by Cadillac, including Bose sound and GPS. I thought my wife, daughter and son would have a collective stroke, saying that they refuse to ride in an “old people’s car.” We ended up in a Chrysler Pacifica, which in my opinion was a cross between a soccer mom’s van and an SUV. Off we went to very nice days three days in Cocoa Beach, interrupted by periodic rain storms and my daughter’s whining that she was bored. Our first day at DW was to Epcot, and I should have had a clue about how the week was going to go, when we arrived at the parking area an hour before opening to find at least 10,000 cars, as many strollers, including double and triple-wide models there before us. I was most struck by the huge numbers of little kids, and I mean little, from newborn to 2 years old. I am not at all sure what their parents were thinking, but these kids had no business anywhere near Disney. The temperatures ran to the low 90’s, and the humidity was always over 90%. The kids were clearly miserable within minutes of getting strapped in the stroller. There never failed to be at least half-a-dozen screaming terrified infants on any ride or attraction they could be carried into. Nothing quite makes for a fun experience like to be sitting in the Country Bear Jamboree, Carousel of Progress, or the Hall of Presidents near a child who is terrified of the talking moose on the wall, or the scary people on the stage. Without fail, each performance was interrupted by the eventual (never prompt) exit of the parents, dragging a kicking and screaming child out the door. I love kids, have two of my own that I mostly love all the time, but give me a break. What “magic” were these people trying to capture by pushing a screaming kid around in an oven on wheels, loaded down with more equipment than that carried by Lewis and Clark.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I was surprised on how well the Fast Pass system worked, most of the time. At Epcot, we always were able to get a Fast Pass, find something else to do during the waiting period, usually never more than 45-60 minutes. It was great to breeze onto Test Track, Soarin’ or Mission: Space, without a wait in line. The Fast Pass system quickly fell apart at the Magic Kingdom, where within the first hour the wait period jumped to 2 and 3 hours, and most sold out as early as 3pm. It was honestly better to wait in an hour to hour and a half line than it was to get a Fast Pass. I had purchased a 3-day Park Hopper ticket for each of us, and intended to use it one full day at Epcot, one day at MK, and one day/evening bouncing between Epcot and MK. We also did Universal, Sea World, and one actually peaceful day of mall hopping. Family did not want to visit either MGM or Animal Kingdom based on earlier trips. Our second day was planned at the MK. We got to the parking area an hour early, trammed right over to the entrance, walked right onto the express monorail without any wait. I should have been suspicious right then. At the entrance to the MK, the area between the ticket machines and the tunnels was already packed at 8:30am, but that didn’t stop Disney cast members from ordering people to keep pressing to the front so they could get more into that confined area. An elderly lady passed out near me, and she had to be handed “mosh-pit style” overhead to Disney people. People were yelling for them to stop pushing more people into the area. On past visits, when the crowd at the entrance got too large, they opened early and let people out onto Main Street to ease the press of flesh. All of this so we could watch some stupid ceremony where the Unglefinger family from Podunk, Iowa and Cinderella could declare the park officially opened! I was sure we had somehow wandered into the festival seating line for the Rolling Stones concert. On our third day, we got to the TTC in the afternoon, monorailed to Epcot, did a few things, and then headed to MK to spend the rest of the evening.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Back at the TTC, we found that the express monorail to the MK was closed due to remodeling of the platform area at the TTC. The only way to the MK was on that damned ferry. Can you imagine thousands (and I mean thousands) of people pushing their way onto the dock? Good planning on Disney’s part to pick the first of June as the time to remodel part of their critical transportation system. My estimate was that the ferries only came about twice in a half-hour. There was no way to control the push of people getting onto the ferry, except that at some point people pushing on at the back end would push people out the front of the boat into the water like toothpaste out of a tube. I had visions of us going down in that lake like some over laden refugee boat. When we finally made it over to the MK, you couldn’t walk on Main Street from the people already staking out a spot for the parade, and this was only 6:30 pm! We couldn’t get near any of the popular rides, which had unofficial lines snaking way out onto the sidewalks, just to get to the “official” lineup area. In frustration I gathered the family together, made them promise that if they would never bring up the fact that we couldn’t ride Splash Mountain one more time, I would never bring up how we had spent nearly $300 for the privilege of buying one set of mouse ears and two t-shirts. On the way driving out the maze of parking lots, I marveled at the number of totally empty parking lots just waiting for the arrival of the Family Truckster with the Griswold family. I could only think, “Where in God’s name would Disney put the occupants of all of the cars who might fill those spaces!”

I know this report was long, and I open myself up to roasting by people who think that Disney can do no wrong, but I feel better already, kind of like I finally passed that big kidney stone.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM

That sounds miserable. I think I'd have left.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:15 AM

I assume that you chose this destination for the kids enjoyment. What was their take on it?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:16 AM

This isn't a "Disney" problem as much as a weather, airline, high-maintenance family, your bad attitude problem.

You had a rotten time because your family was high maintenance and you had a bad attitude. You've been there 12 times, for Lord's sake, what were you expecting that would have changed from all the other times??????
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM

This was funny!! Glad you all made it home in one piece. Your trip report was great! Disney in the summer....no thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Hi, Jim-
Sounds like you've outgrown Disney(12 times,why?) Come on over with the grownups to the Europe board and plan a fabulous family trip to London,Paris,Rome,Greece,someplace different!(really,though,I'm sorry about the hellish trip you had.)
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Before I get flammed for saying it was funny, let me just say I found it funny because I've been there, done that...Disney in the summer with two little kids, long lines, tired kids and hot, hot weather....I think Disney's "stuff" is all overpriced. It's been 2 years since we've been there, but I have always thought they were well organzied and could move people well.But things change.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

How old are your kids, jimcolorado? And did they accompany you on the last 11 trips?

It might be time to do something new & leave DW to those screaming little 2 & 3 year olds whose parents want to experience the magic for the first time.

Overpriced & overcrowded? My opinions exactly on the two occasions I visited with my children. And then we never went again. There's a great big world out there, you should try some!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:56 AM

What is TTC?

I had a co-worker whe went to DisneyWorld in August one year because her husband wanted to take the kids there (I think he wanted to go, and the kids were the excuse) and I think she refered to DisneyWorld in August as 'the most miserable place on Earth'.

You survived, and in a few years will look back on this trip with some humor. Until then, it's rough. Maybe next year send the kids to a working farm so they migh appreciate all they have.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Use some peripheral vision man. 12 times to anyplace but grandma's is several too many.

I hope somebody beats you senseless too.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I loved your trip report. I haven't been to Disneyland in years and never to Disneyworld. We keep saying we are going to go t Disneyland, but then we start planning and always end up going someplace else instead. We start thinking about the crowds, the long lines, and the high prices - so many other places sound more appealling. I think we will go to Disneyland one of these days, but probably on a winter weekday.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Let me clarify; 12 times to Disney spans 2 wives, 2 different girlfriends, 2 children 13 and 17 from present wife, and maybe 25 years. DL twice and now DW twice with these kids, so I don't think thats overdoing it with the kids. Have travelled to England, Italy, and France (wife and me alone)in past 5 years, and actually wanted to take family back to Italy instead of Florida, but wife didn't want to go. Maybe London next year for daughter's graduation. Florida was the ONLY place we could all agree on. ncgrrl: TTC means Transportation and Ticket Center, the hub where parking and the monorail all seem to come together. You cannot drive directly to the Magic Kingdom, as you can with the other theme parks.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM

I think if most of us were honest, our Disney trip reports would read much like yours, jim, except maybe not as well written. Thanks for the entertaining read. And it takes guts to admit that it took 12 trips to figure out that the "magic" really has gone. Now, if only I could convince my 13-year-old!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Oh Jim, your report had me in stiches (I know it was not funny to you but hopefully some day it will be). The last time I was at DisneyLand I swore "never again" and I haven't, thank goodness. I never did "get" the attraction for adults, only went because of children. For me it was the most miserable place on earth. But I sure know a lot of people that go every year, even after their children are grown up. To each their own of course. Take care.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Loved your report, how true how true.

We go often and always have fun
but as often heard on Disney Transporation (busses),
WDW is *SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!*

It takes alot of *WORK* to make a WDW trip successful.
And still, there are no guarantees that all the planning in the world will make the trip successful.
(just check disboards for trip reports to that effect ad nauseum)

All things considered, we still enjoy it despite the fact that its overpriced and overrun.

Thanks for posting Jim.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 12:55 PM

I agree that Disney after a few visits usually isn't worth the effort. I love Disney for what it is, but it is a trip that I wouldn't make more than 3 or 4 times in my lifetime! especially from any distance -- if I lived there maybe more. Since the travel hassle would be eliminated.

If your kids or grandkids are between 5-13 its great! Or if you go as I did (the second time!) as an 19 year old with 4 other guys on the ultimate college road trip, that can be a great time too.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I have been to Disney three times.
Once when I was 6, once when I was 18 (California) and once when my son was 7 (Florida)
That was enough for me.
Paris and maybe Italy would be the places that I would like to go visit 12 times.

Hopefully, you will remember this and not bring up a Disney Vacation a 13th time I would hate to think you were beaten senseless LOL
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I was laughing so hard while reading! It sounds like one of those trips that you will all laugh at for many years to come.

We took our kids to DW once, and that was enough. They enjoyed it for the most part, but there were definitely moments that were not picture perfect.

I hope you can find another destination for other trips now that you will all enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -