Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone used Open Table to reserve restaurants on the internet? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-used-open-table-to-reserve-restaurants-on-the-internet-220352/)

Mariarosa May 14th, 2002 09:02 AM

Has anyone used Open Table to reserve restaurants on the internet?

Anyone use "Open Table" for reservations or another internet restaurant booking service? Is there a downside or is it the same as calling-in the reservation? Also the restaurants that I am looking at show availability for early (6:00 PM) and later seatings (9:00). Any advise for getting a 7:30 - 8:30 PM reservation (besides calling one month in advance). Thanks!

Wendy May 14th, 2002 09:13 AM

I use Open Table all the time and have never had any problems. But if I did I think that by having a confirmation number it would help to rectify the situation.<BR><BR>If I can't get a time I want then of course I call the restuarant direct and inquire. <BR><BR>

b May 14th, 2002 09:19 AM

For what it's worth, why would anyone want to use this service? Can you explain? does it cost anything?<BR><BR>It would seem to me that by adding a middleman to the reservation process that it would simply add cost and confusion. Am I way off base?

Mickey May 14th, 2002 09:20 AM

I used open table to reserve 6 people for Spago in Vegas and it worked like a charm. I did call about 3 days prior to and confirmed, of course they had the information.

Allie May 14th, 2002 09:21 AM

I've used Open Table about 5 or 6 times in San Francisco. Never had any problems. I'm sure it's the same as calling in. I notice when I get to the restuarant that the reservation systems for these restaurants have Open Table logos and software. I was thinking that Open Table's primary business may be as a reservation system provider, and the internet booking system is merely an extension of the main business. I could be wrong though. But in response to your original question, never had any problems, and I could never get a better reservation by calling in. As for getting prime time seating, we have a company out here called DinnerBroker.com that would sell prime time seats to some restaurants for an extra fee (usually $10/person). Don't know if they're still around, but you could try.

Susan May 14th, 2002 10:15 AM

I like using Open Table, especially for reservations when I'm traveling. Saves on the long distance calls and gives you a good list of restaurants to choose from with availability on the date and time you need. I also had good luck with Open Table this last Valentines Day. We decided two days beforehand that we wanted to go out to dinner and the first five restaurants I called didn't have anything available. With Open Table I got an 8pm reservation at a popular restaurant. I don't know if I would have gotten it had I called, but it saved me having to continue on the phone. Plus, you get bonus points every time you make a reservation and show up at the restaurant (as opposed to making a bunch of reservations and never showing up). After you accumulate so many points you get a discount on your next meal.

lonnie May 14th, 2002 02:30 PM

do you think you get the best table available or do you think you get put by the wait station or restrooms?

Susan May 14th, 2002 07:35 PM

I've gotten great tables when making reservations on Open Table. I think Allie is right, the online reservation system is just an adjunct to the restaurant's regular reservation system. Either you call on the phone or you make it online, it is probably seamless to the maitre d'. Open Table costs nothing, and you don't need to give your credit card so I don't see the risk in trying it.

Mariarosa May 15th, 2002 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone! It looks like its worth a shot!