Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone used AAA to book a cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-used-aaa-to-book-a-cruise-682029/)

golfette Feb 22nd, 2007 07:44 AM

Has anyone used AAA to book a cruise?

Has anyone used AAA to book a cruise? If so what do you think of them as travel agents? On the cruise boards, everyone seems to use on-line agencies which kind of scares me. Although I'm not too impressed with AAA, at least I know where to find them. Thanks for your help!

gluvscats Feb 22nd, 2007 08:05 AM

Hi. AAA is getting the same info from the cruise lines. You might get a better deal if you either call the cruise line directly or book it online throught the cruise line's web site. If you have sailed with the same line of it's your first time, ask for a special deal. What line are you sailing and where you off to?

mcmckissic1 Feb 22nd, 2007 09:54 AM

I just booked a Disney Cruise yesterday through AAA because they had the best rate I could find, (even though still very pricey!!) They seemed knowledgable about our particular Cruise line, I wanted to make sure though if the price comes down, I get the better rate and they said yes.

traveller69 Feb 22nd, 2007 10:01 AM

I have used AAA in Seattle many times for cruises. However, I only use them when they have as special rate through the cruise line when they guarantee a certain number of cabins. Quite often they have great deals on the repositioning cruises Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale in the fall and reverse in the spring. They quite often have deals on the Alaska cruises as well. If you are just booking an individual cruise not with their group they don't have any better deals than others. I have also booked through Priceline. You don't bid on their cruises - they have a set rate and if it fits with your timing the savings with them can be excellent.

CHOCOLATE_WATER_ICE Feb 22nd, 2007 05:37 PM

Yes, I booked with them twice - several years apart. No problems.

I greatly prefer to go to the lines website, look at prices, itineraries, deck plans etc. myself.

However, I have been on several ships. So, I am better at picking a ship, itinerary and cabin that I like than an agent who does not know me well.

That being said, I look at lots of booking agencies online and find the best price for exactly what I want (with an agency I feel is reliable or the ship's line directly). Note, the best price is not always the cheapest for me. I will pay a little extra for a reliable agency or booking with the ship's line directly.

The advantage of booking with the ship's line directly is I know exactly what I am getting and know any special accomodations have been asked for, when, to whom and by whom (myself). I think that the table for two I desperately want (or whatever) is most important to me and a higher priority to ask for in a timely manner than it is to an agent.

It depends on what you want from an agency, online or otherwise. Do you want advice, service, time saving or someone to deal with the line before or after the trip if there things don't go as desired?

Have agreat trip.

djkbooks Feb 22nd, 2007 07:47 PM

If you're "not too impressed" with AAA, don't use them.

It's better to use highly recommended agencies recommended by forum veterans.

We used AAA once for a trip to Paris - a dismal experience in every way possible.

tudorprincess Feb 23rd, 2007 03:29 AM

As others have already said, you can find the same prices on your own nearly all the time. I've used AAA before but I check prices from various sites/outlets first and always end up going directly with the cruise line.
If you save frequent flyer miles most airlines will give you miles for booking a cruise through them. I have found the prices to be the same as publish by Royal Caribbean at least, but sometimes the airlines have a special where you get a certain perk for booking with them. i.e. 2 for 1 spa or shipboard credit.