Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried the Brazilian Keratin hair treatment - Coppola method?

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Coppola method for the Brazilian Keratin treatment for the hair? I am half Italian/half German so my hair is very thick and wavy and tends to frizz easy. I am heading on a 3 week vacation to Europe and the last thing I want to worry about is blow drying/straightening my hair, plus walking around all day I am sure it will frizz up. I have heard mostly wonderful things about it - how it leaves the hair shiny, straight, and cuts the blowdrying time in half. However, with any google search, I found out some people complained about their hair falling out! I just wanted to make sure I was smart about this and did my research.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM

I'm getting it done in 2 weeks, I'm super excited. You need to make sure that your salon doesn't use perm chemicals, which are very damaging on your hair and can cause the hair loss. Everyone I know who's done it has loved it. Most of the stylists in my salon have done it and they have been very happy with the results.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

the method I am getting is the Cappola method, which I believe is the safest. Which method are you getting done? Also, how does it work in regards to highlights and haircut? Do I get it all done at once or do I get the highlights a few days before?
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:17 AM

It is incredible and worth every penny! Even without blow drying it looks good. Warning: you'll be hooked.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Also, how does it work in regards to highlights and haircut? Do I get it all done at once or do I get the highlights a few days before?
--------------------------------------------------------------
I do highlights/cut one day, then return several days later for the treatment. The main reason is because I don't want to be at a salon all day. Either way would work though.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

How does the hair look on the first three days? (when you are waiting to wash it?) I am leaving for Europe on Monday night and I am thinking about getting the treatment done on Monday morning.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I have coarse, thick, bushy curly/wavy hair. Last Thursday, I had my hair straightened with the Coppola method. You get the highlight done before the straightening, or you have to wait two weeks. I have had the Coppola treatment 5 times since 2007. I never have any hair loss, but then I have very thick hair to start with. With the Coppola treatment, it is silky straight. My only complaint is that I don't have much body and it won't hold a curl. But, it is not frizzy or bushy. A treatment cost me $250.00 and lasts about two months. When I get the second treatment, it lasts even longer, such as three to four months. The worst part is that after the treatment, you cannot wash your hair for four days.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM

I read my old posts and need to correct some things I just wrote. My first hair straightening was not the Coppola, and it was not in 2007. I got a BKT in April 2008. The smell was very powerful and the stylist wore a mask. It lasted about 10-12 weeks. The next time my hair was straightened, I went to a different shop and that stylist used a different product -- the Coppola. The smell with the Coppola was not bad at all.
You would want to get this done at least 5 days BEFORE you leave for Europe, because you cannot shampoo for 4 days and then you must use special shampoo and conditioner, which your stylist will probably sell or give you.
Do a serach on "Keratin" and you will see some old posts on this subject
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't get it done Monday morning. It takes getting used to (it will be super, super straight) and you have to be extremely careful not to wet it (showering or rain) for several days. You can't pin it back, pull it up, etc. Believe me, after you wash it and blow it the first time, it will still look fabulous for Europe!
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

How does the hair look on the first three days? Horrible?
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Exactly, you must keep hair completely dry and untouched for at least 4 days -- cannot tuck behind your ear, put in a ponytail, or wear a hat. Flying in a plane would not be a good idea.
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Gosh - I guess I can't work out the first three days either?
Old May 17th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Gracie - do you recommend that I get my highlights a few days before the Keratin treatment?
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yes, get the highlights first. And no, you cannot work out if that means you perspire. I couldn't go out on our boat this weekend because of the salt air. (I live in Florida.) Any dampness or humidity, whether in the air or caused by physical exertion, will cause the treatment to not take as well.
If you are going to Europe one week from today, I would get the highlights today and the straightening no later than Wednesday. However, there are some treatments that allow you to shampoo as soon as you leave the salon, but Coppola is not one of them.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM

No, I wouldn't work up a sweat at the gym. Believe me, for the price you pay to get it done you want to take really good care of it.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

So, basically you have to hibernate for 3 days. haha. Sounds like a perfect plan for relaxing.
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

My salon charges $150
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:08 AM

This has WHAT to do with US travel? There is a lounge . . . .
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM

$150 is a steal. It's about $350 around here. And, yes, definitely don't get it the day you travel!
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM

JillDavis's post does relate to travel because the travel to Europe is a consideration in planning the salon appointment. I would love to hear how the hair treatment turns out.
gracie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -