Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone stayed at the Stanyan Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-stayed-at-the-stanyan-hotel-662510/)

Lynnwla Dec 4th, 2006 07:55 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Stanyan Hotel

We will be visiting SF in January for 6 days and are considering the Stanyan Hotel to be near family. Has anyone stayed here??? We have booked a 2 bedroom suite which sounds too good to be true. Is it comfortable, clean?
We are also considering the White Swan but it will take us in another direction. Mainly, we want to be comfortable and we can get around SF as needed. HELP!

MaureenB Dec 5th, 2006 07:37 AM

We stayed at the Stanyan a very long time ago-- about 20 years. My sister is a SF resident and she suggested it, after checking it out in advance. It was a very nice little hotel, in a good location for us. I wonder if it's the same management from that long ago. If so, they were very helpful and the hotel was in beautiful condition.
:)>-

MaureenB Dec 5th, 2006 10:06 AM

I mean the Stanyan Park Hotel
http://www.stanyanpark.com/index.html

Are we talking about the same hotel?

I took a look at their current rates, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

SAB Dec 5th, 2006 10:46 AM

I know this might be slightly rude, but how old are you and where are you from? I think these will have a great deal to do with how you view the Stanyan Park. Not the hotel itself, but its location. It is on Stayan overlooking the entrance to Golden Gate Park at Haight Street-- an area in which young, homeless and not so homeless people tend to congregate. But it is also less than a block away from million dollar Victorian homes in Cole Valley. So if you are used to urban life, you will probably not be bothered by the Haight Street atmosphere, if you are not, you may be.

bluestar Dec 5th, 2006 10:57 AM

Lynnwla: If you ever find your way back to this thread to follow-up, please click on your screen name to bring up all posts you have started/posted to.

You asked this same question twice.

Lynnwla Dec 5th, 2006 07:51 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I've never asked a question here before so I'm just learning how to use this. We will be visiting my daughter at USF and have always stayed with friends in Berkekey.
I thought it would be good to be nearby but I'm not sure about the location. I plan to spend time around the campus but also want do alot of things, like shop, eat, go to different neighborhoods. I don't mind taking mass transit, but don't want to be around alot of homeless people. I've lived in SF and NYC so I'm ok with urban atmosphere but it's still a vacation and want some comfort and "charm."
Yes it is Stanyan Park Hotel, by the way. Any other advise? Thanks again.

MaureenB Dec 6th, 2006 06:19 AM

I don't remember homeless people near this hotel. It is practically across the street from USF isn't it? (Our son is applying there for next year!). I know the Haight can be dicey, but I don't think this hotel's neighborhood is.

trippinkpj Dec 6th, 2006 07:02 AM

Yes, it's close to USF and UCSF med center. I stayed at the Carl Hotel, a budget hotel a few blocks from there. The neighborhood is nice, and a good 1/2 mile (at least) from the Haight. I would of preferred to stay at the Stanyan Park Hotel but couldn't afford it. My cousin has stayed there, and she really likes it.
BTW, the Haight these days is more yuppie than hippie.

MaureenB Dec 6th, 2006 11:02 AM

Thanks for clarifying that, for the OP and for myself, as we'll be going to SF soon to visit the campus. We will definitely stay at the Stanyan Park. It's such a lovely Victorian mansion.

Lynnwia, if you stay there, would you please post your report about the Stanyan?

SAB Dec 6th, 2006 01:58 PM

The Stanyan street entrance to Golden Gate Park is where Haight street ends and it has been a magnet for the "homeless" for as long as I have lived in Cole Valley (20+ years). Every now and then the City does a clean up and the people hanging around the lawns are reduced, but eventually they reappear.

The Stanyan Park is not 1/2 mile from the Haight--it is one block from Haight and Stanyan. And yes, the immediate neighborhood is more yuppie than hippie in terms of its residents, but there are still plenty of "homeless" on Haight and in the Park.

Does this make the neighborhood dangerous, not in my opinion, but some might not be comfortable.

trippinkpj Dec 6th, 2006 02:08 PM

SAB, I didn't consider Haight and Stanyan as "the Haight", although your point is well taken. I've been coming into that area of San Francisco for over 40 years, and I'm probably more comfortable than others with seeing homeless people. I really liked Cole Valley, and really enjoyed dining at Zazie. Also, are you familiar with the B&B, Belvedere House?

PamSF Dec 6th, 2006 02:50 PM

You might also check out:

The Queen Anne(Japantown..Pacifc Hgts) but a straight shot out to USF and eat at Quince(make reservations). You will be close (1 block) from Bush ,Geary and bus lines galore.

PamSF Dec 6th, 2006 02:51 PM

Anyone remember the name of the small hotel on Pacific?

PamSF Dec 6th, 2006 02:54 PM

You might also check out The Archbishop's Mansion

Betsy Dec 6th, 2006 03:54 PM

Here are 10 Tripadvisor reviews that may be helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/y95cp4

SAB Dec 6th, 2006 09:02 PM

Hi trip--I just looked Belvedere House up on line, I must have passed it numerous times and never realized it was a B&B. Belvedere is a wonderful, tree lined street, and Cole Valley is a great small neighborhood. The B&B is on the corner of 17th and Belvedere, which means it is uphill from Cole--not the easist of walks. I don't know if I would agree that the streetcar is right around the corner, but if you don't mind a little hill walking it is a lovely very non-tourist location.

Lynnwla Dec 8th, 2006 09:53 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I am looking into the QueeneAnne and the Archbishops Mansion. I looked at the Belvedere and I really like the neighborhood and it feels very homey but we need a small suite. I'll let you know what I end up with. If anyone has any other thoughts, I appreciate it. Thanks again.

MaureenB Dec 9th, 2006 07:14 AM

I read the TripAdvisor.com reviews of the Stanyan, and it sounds like it's gone downhill since we stayed there a long time ago. I'd be leary of it, too.
Good luck with the others.

trippinkpj Dec 9th, 2006 07:46 AM

Thanks for the info on the Belvedere House SAB. Looks like DH's and my kind of place. :-)