Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone stayed at Standard Room in Curry Village at Yosemite? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-stayed-at-standard-room-in-curry-village-at-yosemite-477937/)

travelcraze Oct 1st, 2004 10:02 PM

Has anyone stayed at Standard Room in Curry Village at Yosemite?

Hi,
Thinking of taking a trip to Yosemite and it seems that Yosemite Lodge is not available at this last minute. The standard motel/hotel rooms at Curry Village are available. Has anyone stayed here recently? Please give your opinions. Is noise going to be an issue? How far are the standard rooms from the mass tent cabins?
Since Yosemite Lodge is not available, is Curry Village a good alternative or should I consider staying outside the park?
Thanks!

cd Oct 2nd, 2004 06:40 AM

You want to stay inside the park. I would keep trying to get a room at the Lodge. I called each morning until I got a cancellation. Cancellations happen often. Have fun!

viamar Oct 2nd, 2004 09:06 AM

I've never stayed in one of the motel rooms, those are very hard to come by. I've stayed in a cabin w/ out bath and it was fine. I'm sure the motel rooms are even better. A friend of mine stayed in a motel room w/ bath and loved it. The room had it's own porch w/ chairs.
Personally I like Curry Village over the Lodge. It's closer to the trails we take, like the Mist Trail and close to the river. I like all the different dining options too. The outdoor pizza and margarita bar is lots of fun. They have a campfire/slidshow everynight as well.

nuggetboy Oct 12th, 2004 09:13 AM

Had a wonderful stay in Yosemite this past May. We stayed at the lodge and were very happy with the place. We visited Curry Village and though the food option are more plentiful (the pizza place is the best meal in the park) it does get rather busy there. When we were there, several large groups of teenagers participating in teh Yosemite Institute program were running all over the place. It was not quiet. You will also be sharing the bath and showerer facilities with them. Not for me or my wife. Keep trying the Lodge.

vacationgal Oct 12th, 2004 09:34 AM

I'd try and stay at the lodge. If you stay at Curry Village, middle of the week is better. We stayed during the summer and it quieted down by 11pm. On the week-ends, groups of kids were partying till 1 or 2am with no regard to those around them. Very loud and impossible to sleep. I will not stay there again because of this.

TripleSecDelay Oct 12th, 2004 12:54 PM

travelcraze : are you going now? Your visit date is not specific.

The standard rooms and the mass tent cabins - to us - seemed to be within footsteps of one another. If you can get a map of the area, I remember the areas around 425 being good numbers for distance from the stage. Definitely don't want the lowest numbered units.

Whenever I travel, I like to bring along some earplugs for quieter sleeping.

We were in Yosemite last week of September. We stayed at North Pines campground. We could hear the amplified stage show and cheers/screams from the audience from Curry Village in North Pines until 9pm. Quiet time / extinguish campfire time is 10pm.

Check the online schedule. Most of the activities are discontinued until next season. The late show may be a non-issue now.

The cables to half dome were scheduled to be taken down tmrw, 10-13-04.

Because of a bear (or bears) stealing campers' food, the rangers made several laps through the area, shining their spotlights on the bear-proof food storage lockers at each campsite, to determine if they were open or closed. There's are two small pieces of reflective tape - one red and one white - adhered to the lock mechanism that allows them to spot check quickly from a vehicle. A small annoyance for the safety of all.

Car alarms, screaming children, garbage collection trucks every morning. Just like the city!! My theory on the car alarms is that the kids get into their parents' cars - or the parents left the minds at home while camping(?). I can't imagine that they were retaliating for the late night noise of their next door neighbors - although this also came to mind.

Yes, find a lodge if you are sensitive to noise. I've never been to a noisier state park.

We arrived the night the rangers began a prescribed burn, which made the air hazy and provided for some excellent color at dusk on half dome for the camera. The inside of our Tahoe smells like we BBQ'd /inside/ the tailgate.

One morning, we encountered tame bucks in the parking lot; a semi-tame coyote wandered out of the brush and crossed the asphalt road slowly enough for a few choice photos; two raccoons found my open Tahoe while I was transporting all our food into the bear-proof food storage box. Nature is alive and well in Yosemite Valley.

Iregeo Oct 12th, 2004 02:54 PM

hi travelcraze. I stayed in a Curry Village cabin with bath last November. I was with my 12 year old son, and we had a GREAT time. The cabin was sparse, with 2 beds, desk, nightstands, dresser, lamp, closet and HEATER!!! They are duplexes, so they share a common wall. We were never bothered by any noise at all.

Depending what you're in to, Curry is great, because they have a common room or game room for all the guests to share. It's a great place to read, play games and meet people, with a huge stone fireplace to enjoy.

While accomodations like Curry are not usually my thing, I can't wait to go back!

Froggy Oct 14th, 2004 10:21 AM

We have stayed at the motel rooms at the Curry lodge. I would advise you to get a room away from the main road. Our room was sparse but for the money it was okay.My only complaint was the noise from the buses that stopped in front of our room. They ran late and it was noisy but if you can deal with that, you are okay. After all you don't go to Yosemite to spend your time in a motel room.

Radium Oct 19th, 2004 03:12 PM

We stayed there the weekend of 10/15. We tried to get into Ahwahnee and Yosemite Lodge, but they were booked. And now I'm glad they were, because Camp Curry was really fun! We did stay in the standard motel rooms, which are about Best Western in quality, not fancy, but clean, and we had no problem with noise--really, it was the best of both worlds, because we got to enjoy the congenial cameraderie of all the folks who stay in the tent cabins and cabins, but still go back to our quiet, warm motel room with bath! ;) We stopped by Yosemite Lodge in the morning, and it seemed stodgy and dull compared to Camp Curry. (We're in our 50s, BTW!) Sitting out on the margarita bar terrace in the cold air with all the jolly Europeans and climbers was a pleasure and reminded us of the glory days of the national parks.