Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Has anyone seen the 2009 revival of the musical Hair in NYC?

Has anyone seen the 2009 revival of the musical Hair in NYC?

Feb 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone seen the 2009 revival of the musical Hair in NYC?

I will be going to New York in two weeks and am looking for a musical to see. I've seen this musical in a local production and love the music. I am concerned about nudity in it because the person who is coming with me would not approve. Has anyone seen this revival? Is there anything objectionable in it?
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM

Well, if the person objects to the nudity, then I guess there is something "objectionable" in it. There is also simulated sex and pot smoking. Hey it was the era of free love and sex after all.

Feb 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM

No one could have seen the production since it hasn't opened yet. There was a similar production in the park this past summer but I get the sense that it won't be exactly the same. That production had full frontal nudity. The B'way production says on it's website
"The production contains scenes that briefly depict profanity, nudity and simulated drug use." It says children under 4 are not allowed. This suggests to me the nudity is very brief.
Feb 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I didn't notice the dates on Playbill the first time I looked since I was so excited to see it listed. I brought the Playbill website up again and I see that it's listed for March 2009. I was disappointed that I probably wasn't going to be able to see it. It's not even an option now since we're going to NYC in February not March.
Feb 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM

When HAIR first came out it was "banned in Boston"..lol. We saw it right after the ban was lifted and it was joyous.. The audience was up on their feet singing and swaying... second time around..NOTHING IF SOMEBODY objects to nudity now and pot smoking go see South Pacific if its stil p laying
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM

If the person is uncomfortable with brief nudity and simulated sex/drug use - there will probably be a lot of other things in the show they object to. It is very much counter-culture of the 60s' - celebrating sex, drugs and rock and roll - as well as a strong anti-war story.

This person sounds like they would prefer something more traditional and "nice".
Feb 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM

In the city that never sleeps there is something for everybody!
Feb 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM

I would agree with nytraveler. I saw it this summer in the park, and it has taken on a new meaning in this time - but if your friend is at all conservative (politically and otherwise) it might not be an enjoyable experience.
Feb 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Discount tix are now available on playbill.com
Mar 11th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I took my family to see Hair! What a show! Went back the next night. Unlike any show on Broadway. Great cast, amazing music, moving story. Danced on stage with the cast and audience at the end of the show. So much fun and energy. My kids, 10, 12 and 13 haven't stopped singing the songs. It is not just a show - but an experience! Go see it!

Search this Thread