Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone seen Patti LuPone in Gypsy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-seen-patti-lupone-in-gypsy-340289/)

lisettemac Apr 9th, 2008 12:20 PM

Has anyone seen Patti LuPone in Gypsy?

I loved her so much in "Sweeney Todd" that I'm dying to see this. Has anyone seen it?

HowardR Apr 9th, 2008 12:25 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but everyone I know who has seen it has raved about it.....as have all the critics. Don't wait, get tickets now!

doug_stallings Apr 9th, 2008 12:48 PM

Yes, I've seen it. It's the best thing she's ever done. Much better even than Sweeney Todd, which I loved. And it's a full production, not just a concert staging. Luckily, I saw the production the day before the official opening, but if you can get good seats go for it. We had seats on the next to last row in center orchestra, and the views were just fine.

panecott Apr 9th, 2008 01:21 PM

I saw it too, on the last night of previews, apparently the same night as Doug Stallings.

She is wonderful, and the entire production was great. It's a definite "Go See".

nytraveler Apr 9th, 2008 05:20 PM

I haven't sen it yet but my best friends just did - and they said superb.

lp_nyc Apr 9th, 2008 08:38 PM

I saw the Encores production and it was fabulous. It's supposed to be even better now.

If you can, see it.

like_2travel Apr 9th, 2008 08:57 PM

Is this something a 14 year old girl would like? I'd like to take my daughter.

doug_stallings Apr 10th, 2008 05:27 AM

If your daughter likes Broadway, then I think she'd like this. The music is wonderful, and it's really one of the best Broadway shows ever done (some say the best). But to me it's not a show that has a specific appeal to teen girls (like Wicked or Legally Blonde or Altar Boyz).

williamscb13 Apr 10th, 2008 01:57 PM

How does this production compare to the one she did last summer in NYC? Don't remember what theatre.

She was great, but overall, I thought that production was just fair.

NeoPatrick Apr 10th, 2008 02:04 PM

The production last year was essentially a staged concert only. This production is a full fledged one starting from that concert version. If I'm not mistaken this full production came about because of the very favorable press and reaction to that concert version.

HowardR Apr 10th, 2008 02:45 PM

Adding to Neopatrick's comments....The critics were in strong agreement that Patti LuPone's performance--and, in fact, the entire production as well--had greatly improved since last summer to the point of being....well....great!

williamscb13 Apr 10th, 2008 03:42 PM

That's good to know, because i am not sure i would have recommended the show based on what i saw last summer.

NeoPatrick Apr 10th, 2008 05:13 PM

According to a good theatre friend who did see this production a couple weeks ago, it is quite different from all past productions of Gypsy. If you're looking for fun and happy song and dance, think again. As he puts it, this is a PLAY that happens to also have music, rather than a "golly,gee musical" with a bit of a story line. The characters, their emotions, their relationships, and their dramas are th main thing in this production, not just a lot of singing and dancing.

paula1470 Apr 10th, 2008 06:45 PM

Patrick-Glad to hear about that interpretation. I love Patti LuPone but didn't know if I could sit throught Gypsy again. Looks like ticket sales are through 3/09 so I will have to try to see it on my annual NYC trip.

BTW, my DD is up for the part of Louise at Sacramento Music Circus. They use a lot of Broadway names there so she didn't think she'd have a shot but she's been called back a couple of times. If that happens, I SUPPOSE I could sit through Gypsy a few more times. LOL

NeoPatrick Apr 11th, 2008 05:07 AM

Paula, what nice news. I hope she gets it.

Wow, selling Gypsy through March of 09? I didn't notice that. Hard to believe Patti Lupone will be with it all that time.

I just got our tickets for first week of June. After spending hours looking on the website for availability for the month and calling them as well, I settled on the middle of the side section of orchestra -- 6th row -- with four seats to either side of us, so certainly not against the wall. I'd prefer being close to being center but further back. And had NO luck getting front row mezzanine.

starrs Apr 11th, 2008 05:20 AM

Hoda and Kathie Lee were talking about it on the Today Show yesterday. That had attended the matinee and said it was the best show ever. Huge raves for the show.

paula1470 Apr 11th, 2008 08:22 AM

Patrick-I was thinking the same thing. I can't see her doing the show that long. I am hoping to go in Sept so maybe she will still be there.

ewt Apr 11th, 2008 09:46 AM

I also saw it on the last preview night and she was phenomenonal. I highly recommend going to see it.

Centralparkgirl Apr 11th, 2008 06:22 PM

I saw it last week and was taken aback by her performance. Patti LuPone doesn't play Rose; she is Rose! And a very different Rose from Bernadette Peters and Rosalind Russell (who I loved in the movie). This is Rose down and dirty, probably as she really was considering the times, her personality, their financial troubles, etc.
NeoPatrick - even though it is a Play, the music is still a great score and the whole cast is wonderful.
I've never been a huge fan of hers - didn't love Sweeney Todd (actually didn't love the production itself), but this role fits her like a glove.

NeoPatrick Apr 12th, 2008 04:55 AM

Hmmmmm. I hope you didn't think my "this is a PLAY" comment was a negative. Of course the score is wonderful, and there are reports that the musical numbers are fantastically well done. I just meant that for the first time the STORY and RELATIONSHIPS become very important, not just some dialogue to fill in between the songs.