COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here done the "Wicked: Behind the Emerald Curtain Tour"?

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

My two college-age sons and I are going to NYC for a few days next week during their Spring Break to see some shows and do a little sightseeing. One of them is a Theater Major, so this is something he's definitely looking forward to. He mentioned the "Wicked, Behind the Emerald Curtain Tour" to me as something he'd be interested in doing (http://tinyurl.com/32zj6o). Has anyone here done this tour, and, if so, is it something you'd recommend? We do have tickets to see "Wicked" on Wednesday (two of us have seen it before), and we're all fans of both the book (which is quite different from the musical) and the music. The tour is only offered on Saturday mornings, so we'd have to extend our trip by a day - I'd planned to drive home on Friday afternoon, as I have something I need to be back for on Saturday evening. Is it worth the extra night at a hotel (and I guess we'd try to pack in one more show Friday evening, if we're staying) to do the tour? We'd have to get on the road pretty quickly afterwards for the four hour drive home, since I have to be somewhere at 6:30. I'd appreciate any opinions.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM

I haven't been so can't comment, but wanted to let you know there's another tour that gets you behind stage at the New Amsterdam theater and Radio City. Sounds a bit corny with a Planet Hollywood lunch, but might be another option.
http://www.inetours.com/New_York/Tou...z-insider.html

I've also heard the backstage tours at Lincoln Center are wonderful.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/about/tour/
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM

I haven't done this tour either, but it sounds like an interesting experience especially for a theater major and a group who is interested in "Wicked", hopefully someone here can comment first-hand.

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

I tried to search here, because I'm almost positive that it was here I read a report of someone who did that tour and they loved it. But I can't find it when I search.

Even better than the regular Lincoln Center tour (which I've done) is the Metropolitan Opera backstage tour. It really takes you into the dressing rooms, scene shops, and we even stood on stage while they were setting up sets for an opera, seeing how the lifts work and all. That has to be booked ahead.

If you're at Lincoln Center, be sure to check out the library -- sort of behind the Vivian Beaumont. They always seem to have interesting exhibits of costume drawings, photos, set designs, posters, or something relating to Broadway productions. And it's free.

I thought the regular Radio City Music Hall tour was terribly overpriced and not geared for real theatre interest. It was much more about the history of the building and seeing the public spaces, which you see if you go there anyway.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful info - the Metropolitan Opera backstage tour sounds great, maybe we'll do that. Anyone else out there have any input on the "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour?
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:26 PM

I know a lot of time has passed, but I have a son who is 22 and very interested in behind the scenes, mainly light and sound operations. We are going to be in NYC over New Years and I would love some feedback about any of the behind the scenes tours. Also have a 20, and a 16 year old. What would be your top picks for shows. I was thinking Legally Blond or Wicked. We saw Blue Man group in Chicago, but loved it, thought about doing it again...Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Legally Blonde is closed. Wicked is a hard ticket to get. Kids would love Ave. Q which is usually on discount either at the TKTS booth or broadwaybox.com but may not be so easy over the holiday. In the Heights is another good option for teens. If you've seen Blue Man, why not try something else. Off B'way, Stomp and Fuezerbruta are similar type shows.

I don't know that any of the behind the scenes tours concentrate much on lighting and sound.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM

The Radio City backstage tour link from a year and a half ago is no longer good, but http://www.radiocity.com/tours/index.html
works.

Keith