Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone flown overseas while pregnant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-flown-overseas-while-pregnant-237862/)

Kylie Jul 9th, 2002 04:03 AM

Has anyone flown overseas while pregnant?

Hi. My husband and I have a three week trip to the USA (from Australia) booked and paid for November. However, we were hoping to start trying for a baby and were wondering if we should be doing so if we know we are going overseas? We're concerned about any effects air travel would have on the pregnancy. I was just wondering if anyone else out there has flown during pregnany, especially early on. It would be interesting to hear anyone's experiences. Thanks.

Suzy Jul 9th, 2002 04:09 AM

I flew a lot during two of my pregnancies, and had no trouble with the flights during the first few months.<BR><BR>I did hemorrhage after a flight when I ws 20 weeks along with my son. The flight had encountered turbulence and an extreme pressure drop (people were screaming from the pain in their ears).<BR><BR>I have two friends who went into premature labor during or immediately after flights when they were 6 months. As far as I know, nobody has done any research about the effects of flying in later pregnancy, but I think that since it's already July, you'll be fine in November.

gail Jul 9th, 2002 04:16 AM

If my math is correct, if you were to get pregnant instantly, you would be early in your second trimester in November. Of course, few people get pregnant instantly, so it might put you in your first trimester.<BR><BR>I have flown pregnant twice - once at 2 months and once at 4 months. The standard message is that the second trimester is the best time to travel during pregnancy. You are usually over any nausea, fatigue, etc. of early pregnancy and not yet so huge that you need to fly on a cargo plane.<BR><BR>If you are having a normal pregnancy, it is certainly safe to travel in the first 5-6 months with reasonable precautions (keep hydrated, watch what you eat, allow for rest, etc.). But no one can predict what your pregnancy will be like.<BR><BR>We found ourselves unexpectedly in a similar situation, and kept our travel plans from US to Bahamas. It was fine. <BR>Obviiously it is a longer trip from Australia.<BR><BR>Another idea - in the US women sometimes arrange for a pre-pregnancy visit with an Obstetrician to "interview" them. If this is done in Australia, you might want to do that at home and ask his/her opiniion - or your regular primary care MD may be able to give you info.<BR><BR>Good luck on your pregnancy and have fun on your upcoming trip to US. If it were me, I would keep plans - much easier to make this trip now than with a baby or little kid (and you have no idea how much less money you have to travel once you have kids!)

Victoria Jul 9th, 2002 04:31 AM

I have flown twice while pregnant; once at six months; and again at seven and one-half months, and encountered no difficulties during the flights. While on the plane I walked every thirty minutes or so for exercise and to prevent swelling; and took a copy of my current medical records along, just in case.

xxx Jul 9th, 2002 11:03 AM

I can't imagine having morning sickness stuck in a plane for nearly a day. Why not try and get pregnant while you're here in the U.S. on vacation. You'll be relaxed, in a good mood and probably some nice settings for romance. And you'll be able to tell your child later about where he/she was conceived.

OhPuhleeze Jul 9th, 2002 11:06 AM

Since we are all doctors here, you came to the right place!<BR><BR>Or have you bothered to ask your doctor about this? I realize this is a travel site, but had no idea that it included obstetrics while traveling.

Henry Jul 9th, 2002 12:42 PM

You obviously didn't read the thread on unpasteurized cheeses in pregnancy. Lots of medical experts on that one.

doc fletcher Jul 9th, 2002 12:48 PM

Kylie, your husband must reserve his seed until November, then inseminate you the evening after you first arrive in the USA.

Roger Jul 9th, 2002 12:49 PM

My wife was 5 months pregnant when we went to Italy in 1996. Her biggest complaints were 1) forced to stand in an elbow-to-elbow mass transit train from Rome's airport to the train station (no gentlemen any more); 2) the 3 hour tour an American priest gave us of St. Peter's (stone was hard on the girl's feet) and 3) the winding staircase to our Venice pension to the top floor. She handled the flights like a trooper.

Monique Jul 9th, 2002 01:07 PM

Flew one time from California to Europe at about 4.5 months pregnent. Ended up swollen pretty bad on the plane to the point my shoes didn't fit when I landed.<BR>I also ended up with pre-term labor and was in and out of the hospital and on bedrest and meds for the entire duration of the remaining 4 months. I do NOT know if there is a direct correlation with pre-term labor and flying but I have spoken to alot of women who seem to have had long flights in the week or two before they were diagnosed. But please check with your Dr.

x Jul 9th, 2002 01:40 PM

Suzy-You stated you flew a lot during your pregnancies and had no problem. Then the next paragraph states you did hemmorrhage after a flight. Excuse me but wasn't that a problem?? DUH!<BR><BR>Kylie-Ask your doctor not the morons here who have no idea what your medical history is....

Suzy Jul 9th, 2002 01:59 PM

x, sorry I didn't make myself clear enough for you. I said I had no problems *in the first few months* but when I flew later, I had a close call after a flight that had serious pressure problems.<BR><BR>Regarding relying on only doctors for advice: 25 years ago, they were telling moms it was OK to drink during pregnancy. Then somebody put two and two together, figured out Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and now pregnant moms know it's not a good idea to drink. Likewise, until somebody seriously studies the risks and complications of flying during pregnancy, we just really don't know.<BR><BR>For those of you who have a lot of faith in the medical establishment and its decision-makig process, I strongly recommend last Sunday's NY Times magazine -- now they're completely rethinking all those recommendations for low-fat-high-carbohydrate diets.

kam Jul 9th, 2002 02:12 PM

I agree with holding off until November and then see if you can conceive on the trip. If not, then back at home later. I did fly a lot while pregnant, but I also was allowed to smoke and drink while pregnant back in the Dark Ages. Thank God I never had any problems with either kid but I shutter when I think of it now.

travellyn Jul 9th, 2002 02:26 PM

I agree with the plan to ask your doctor now, so you can figure out when to start trying to get pregnant.<BR><BR>I've flown at 3, 5, and 7 months. The 5-months-pregnant trip was to England from the US. The others were cross-country in the US. None were as long as yours will be. I had no problems at all, except wishing to gosh I could have a drink after helping out with a harrowing medical emergency that delayed one plane by 2 hours. <BR><BR>A somewhat mercenary tip: if you do get pregnant before the trip and are on the cusp of needing maternity clothes, start wearing them for the trip and you'll get extra-special treatment by some people.

english Jul 9th, 2002 04:03 PM

kam-I think you must SHUDDER.<BR>if you shutter you must be either a camera lense or something in someones window.

just Jul 9th, 2002 05:59 PM

So, tell me, Suzie, since you are so anti-doctor, pray tell, who delivered your last child/children?<BR>What a bunch of crap!

lcuy Jul 9th, 2002 06:10 PM

Flew at 4 months pregnant Hawaii to California roundtrip, and at 7 months pregnant Hawaii to Portugal and back. My advice: Reserve an aisle seat, get up and walk frequently, drink lots of water, and try to elevate your feet whenever possible to avoid swelling. <BR>If anything, morning sickness would be a bigger worry than flying itself. My first pregnancy, I couldn't get up, much less go anywhere for months. <BR>Since it really isn't that far off, you might consider just practicing between now and November and then really trying to conceive after your trip....

Pregnant Jul 9th, 2002 06:46 PM

I flew on business with my first child at about 4-5 months. I couldn't even consider it during the first 3 months due to terrible morning sickness. I found the experience awful. The plane was cramped & hot, carrying luggage was terrible, I was always worrying about getting bumped into by people and/or their luggage, not to mention sitting in airports, eating airplane food and just being so tired (which goes along with pregnancy). Afterwards, I did have a minor problem which required a call to my physician (similar to what an earlier poster mentioned). I am now pregnant with my second and will not fly at all during this pregnancy. Everyone is different so it's difficult to say what is right or wrong for you. Best of luck!!!

Suzy Jul 10th, 2002 01:50 AM

I'm not anti-doctor, I just realize that they're not perfect. Nobody knows everything. <BR><BR>Obstetric policies are always changing, based on new knowledge: for instance, weight-gain recommendations have increased drastically since the 60s.

doc samuels Jul 10th, 2002 06:17 AM

Kylie, Wayne and you should refrain from intercourse until November, then discretely do the naughty no-no on your flight to the USA. Children conceived at high altitudes have natural advantages over children conceived at sea level.