Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone flown into Kapalua, Maui and rented a car from there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-flown-into-kapalua-maui-and-rented-a-car-from-there-683814/)

beetlekat Feb 28th, 2007 02:44 PM

Has anyone flown into Kapalua, Maui and rented a car from there?

We are flying from Honolulu to Kapalua, Maui and I am wondering how long it takes for the rental car company (National) to get to the airport from Lahaina once you call them. Just curious about how long we might have to wait for our car.

123Go Mar 1st, 2007 03:45 AM

I'd check with National directly for the best answer.

pspercy Mar 3rd, 2007 07:43 PM

Think I've seen shuttle vans up there waiting on planes, at least one agency has (had?) a desk there too.
Love to watch those planes rocking & rolling in the wind as they come in to land :)

Rusty Mar 4th, 2007 04:33 AM

National's local office is not in Lahaina, even though it may have a Lahaina mailing address. It is in Honokawai on the main highway (Honoapiilani Highway) about five miles from the Kapalua airport.

Your wait will be anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, probably closer to 10 minutes, depending on the time of day and how busy they are.

beetlekat Mar 5th, 2007 12:24 PM

Thanks very much for the replies. We are flying in at 7:30 am so hopefully they won't be that busy.

After watching those planes "rocking & rolling in the wind" for so many years, we decided to finally try it for ourselves. The Kapalua airport is a lot closer to the condo that we stay in too!

excited_confused Mar 5th, 2007 05:39 PM

Just call National as soon as you land, before the luggage arrives. We had used Alamo & their office was very close to the Embassy Suites where we stayed & not far from Kapalua airport at all. We did not call until after we got our luggage & had to wait about 20 minutes but being so close to the airport & hotel definitely helped. Have a great trip!

KalenaLK Mar 6th, 2007 07:47 AM

We always fly into the Kapalua airport and love it. My husband waits for the luggage...mere minutes...and I head to the bank of phones on the wall to call the car rental for an airport pick up. We've never waited more than 15 minutes. Most of the big car rental agencies have cars available for rent at that airport but they're not on property so it requires a few minutes wait. The view from the front of the airport is breath taking and during the whale season, you can easily spot them from there. Gives you a few minutes to sit down, regroup and recharge your battery by breathing in the fresh Maui air and feasting on the gorgeous vista. They also have literally tons of books on what to do in Maui in the arrival area so you can start planning your agenda. We also love the ride on that little airplane...smile.
Karen

fivestar Mar 6th, 2007 02:45 PM

National will pick you up right at the airport. It's very close to the airport anyway. I beleieve Alamo and Avis are right there too. I think they will pick you up and take you to the office.