Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

has anyone every stayed at the Hyatt in Scottsdale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:52 PM
caitlin

It's a little random, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has stayed at the Hyatt Resort in Scottsdale. It looks nice on the internet, but you never know.
Would this place be suitable for a honeymoon? Would it be too frickin' hot in August? Would there be fun things to do there?
Thanks!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Carrie

Frickin' hot in August? That's actually an understatement. As a resident I can tell you that you can easily sustain burns just getting into your car and touching metal objects or grabbing a plastic steering wheel on sunny 118 degree days. Oh yeah, it's hot. (But it's a dry heat).
The Hyatt Gainey Ranch is, according to my rank list, about the 7th best resort in the metro area...an area with some of North America's best resorts. Yes, it's a nice place. Rooms are pretty typical Hyatt calibre rooms...not opulent by any means, but nice. The public areas at the Hyatt are its real attraction. They are very, very beautiful. The pools and golf course views are really special. Sunday brunch is very good.
Why did you choose the Hyatt in particular?
Fun things to do in Phoenix, you mean? A city of nearly 3 million people? Well, yes. But Arizona's greatest attractions are outdoors beyond the metro area.
Have you ever considered getting married at Enchantment in Sedona? We got engaged there about 13 years ago. The whole area is pretty amazing...spectacular. Search this forum for Sedona info and you'll find loads of it. Good luck.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 06:42 PM
vicki

The last time I was in Phoenix, I met a group for drinks at the Hyatt resort in Scottsdale - and I've been plotting on how to get back there for a long weekend ever since. I didn't see a room, but the grounds were beautiful. Even though it will be hot in August (I used to live there), everything is air conditioned - and the prices will be down, too. You could go to Sedona, as another person suggested, or Prescott - lots of fun things to do. Or you could stay at the Hyatt, lounge by the pool and listen to the live music at night - so good that I bought two of the group's CDs. They said that they have been playing there for 15 years.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 07:48 PM
caitlin

Thanks for the responses.
Hey Carrie, you said that you thought it was in the top 7 resorts. Just curious, what's your number one?

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Carrie

The Boulders...way out in Carefree. It's a hike, and technically out of the metro area, but the suburban expansion gets closer every day. Very unique and beautiful place, but killer expensive. Several times ranked #1 resort in the US by travel folk such as Conde Nast.
The year old Four Seasons Troon North is right on the tail of the Boulders. It's way out north of Scottsdale also. Not as unique by any means, but my impression is that it has better service and finishing touches.
The Phoenician, despite the fact that Sheraton now owns it and has made it feel less 'special' than it used to be, is still the best in the true metro area. Outstanding pools and spa, strikingly beautiful grounds. PHX's best restaurant. But you must get a pool view room to make it worthwhile.
Those are my faves.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:35 AM
sktraveler

I stayed at the Hyatt earlier this year and really enjoyed it. The guest rooms are nice, but nothing too special. However, I stayed in a "casita" which is a suite that's seperate from the main hotel. It was absolutely beautiful and HUGE! It would be a great place to honeymoon.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 07:54 AM
caitlin

Thanks for all your helpful responses. I'm not sure if we're going to go after all. We're both from the rainy coast of Oregon and 110 degree weather might be too much of a shock! But it's still in the running.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 10:10 PM
David

Saw your other post about the Hyatt at Lake Tahoe. I thnk the climate at Tahoe would be much better than what you'll find in August in Scottsdale. The resorts mentioned; Boulders, four seasons, phoenician, and Hyatt, along with the Scottsdale Princess are all, in my opinion, nicer properties than the Hyatt in Tahoe; however, they don't have Lake Tahoe nor the nice climate to go along with them. And yes your characterization of "freakin hot" is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 08:03 AM
caitlin

hey david-
Thanks for your advice. Tahoe does sound better to me. Especially because I don't want to spend the entire trip inside of an airconditioned room. My first choice is the hyatt in Kauai, but I'm thinking that's a little too spendy.