Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone ever used a hotel babysitting service? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-ever-used-a-hotel-babysitting-service-466536/)

alvarki Aug 12th, 2004 05:50 AM

Has anyone ever used a hotel babysitting service?

We are staying at the Four Seasons Avaria (just outside San Diego) for a week with out 2 children who are ages 2 (25 months) and 1 (about 12 months and two weeks!). We are considering using the hotel babysitting service for one evening to go out to dinner - a late dinner when the kids will only actually be up for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Has anyone used these services before??? I'm considering it but very nervous!! Thanks!

Lois_L Aug 12th, 2004 06:36 AM

Don't be nervous. Quality hotels are very careful about the babysitters they recommend, because of the obvious liability issues. When I worked in the hotel industry, we kept a list of reliable hotel employees who wanted to make some extra cash in their spare time. These were not just anyone who volunteered, but nice ladies, most of whom had raised children of their own. I've used hotel babysitting services for my own kids, and never had a problem. When travelling with children of that age, it's impossible to relax and enjoy a nice dinner (which you're certainly entitled to!) without getting a sitter. I'd book someone for several nights during the week.

caribtraveler Aug 12th, 2004 09:39 AM

Hi. No, we have never (we have a 2-year-old) and we will never.
We're not comfortable with a person we've never met before watching him.
And we're not letting some HR person from a hotel company decide if someone is qualified enough to watch him.

sfamylou Aug 12th, 2004 10:19 AM

Yes, and only one time did I not like the sitter and cancelled at the last minute (my son followed us out into the hallway and she didn't come after him for several minutes). I find Four Seasons and Ritz and places like that use great services. In fact, when I moved to Orange County I called the Four Seasons to ask what service they used, and I found a regular sitter that way. I recently called the Ritz in St. Louis to find a sitter, as well. I understand feeling nervous about this, but not everyone is lucky to have a trusted nanny or grandmother to do all their babysitting. I don't think using a nanny service that carefully screens its sitters to be irresponsible, but a reality for me.

travellyn Aug 12th, 2004 10:26 AM

We used a hotel service once in Reno,NV, and were very pleased. The agency required background checks on all sitters, and they were bonded (for what that's worth). Overall, it was a gut feel that made us okay with the sitter, a very conscientious and sweet 19 year old college student.

Ryan Aug 12th, 2004 10:39 AM

We've used hotel baby sitters in France, Italy, Portugal, Barbados, Mexico, Washington, DC and Newport, RI for our 3 year old son and our 18 month old daughter.

We've never had the slightest problem and have never felt uncomfortable with anyone that the hotels have sent. Our kids look at it as someone new to play with and are perfectly fine with Mom and Dad "going out for salad." Before booking the sitter we find out how long the sitter has been used by the hotel and the type of background check they've done.

Last year we went to Acapulco for 8 nights and had a sitter about 1/2 the time. We'll usually take our kids to dinner or feed them before we leave. With our daughter, we've had sitters come for a few hours in the afternoon so that she can nap and so that our son gets some alone time with us.

As I said, we've never felt uncomfortable with the sitters. But, at the end of the day you need to decide what is best for your children.

wendyj Aug 12th, 2004 05:28 PM

I used to babysit for hotels in San Diego while I was in college. I worked mostly at the Marriott Marina, Hotel del Coronado, The Bahia.

Here is how it works: the hotels contract out to a babysitting service, which interviews and screens the babysitters. The concierge calls the babysitting service with a guest's needs, and the service then finds an available sitter. Sitters are paid by the hour, and a portion of the bill goes back to the service.

You should leave instructions about whether or not room service is permitted (you should feed the sitter if you are gone during dinner hour), and whether or not the kids are allowed to leave the hotel room. As for parking, sometimes the hotel will validate the sitter's parking ticket, otherwise, you should also pay for their parking if they have to use the hotel lot.

While I can't speak for all hotel sitters, I can tell you that I was responsible, caring and respectful of children and parents during my stay. And the 2 friends that worked with me were the same way. We were all extensively interviewed, and references were checked before we were allowed to babysit.

Go out, have a great time, and don't forget to tip your sitter well when you come home drunk in the wee hours. (This was always entertaining for me - parents always came back to their room after a few too many).

amatters Aug 12th, 2004 08:54 PM

I work at a upper scale local hotel. We do not use a babysitting service as mentioned above. Most of out sitters do come from the loacl college or are realitives of hote; employees. Each sitter has a backround check, and must have references. We have a very large pile of sitters, we give the parents a short list with each sitters information (not phone numbers or addresses) they let us know who they want for what times and we set it up for them. It is a very good idea to tip and cover your sitters food if they are around for meal time

X_Bellman Aug 13th, 2004 01:16 PM

Most of the sitters at hotels I've worked are sons or daughters of Employees of the hotel. I'm not saying I would use them but I have never seen anybody I wouldn't trust and there are alot of people working at the Hotels keeping an eye on things.

wolfshin Aug 13th, 2004 02:19 PM

We used to go to Disneyworld every year when the kids were small. The condo that we rented used a babysitting service. We were able to request the same sitter every year. We mailed a thank you to her agency, and she even corresponded with us through the mail once or twice every year. We were happier with her than our sitters back home. The kids had a great time and we had a few relaxing dinners out during our vacation.

gail Aug 16th, 2004 02:22 AM

What care do you take to select a sitter at home? How closely do you check them out? Would you take the word of someone you did not know as to how good a sitter was? For us, the answer was always - we would not leave our kids when that young with someone we could not personally check out.

Chances are excellent you will have no problem - but those still are not odds we felt comfortable with. We did leave our kids on several occasions when older in various "kid's clubs" at resorts - figuring they were old enough to tell us if there was a problem and there was greater safety in numbers. And also these facilities are usually in more open and visible areas.

yesu39470 Feb 13th, 2005 04:15 PM

Alvarki,

Do a search on this site for"hotel babysitters" and read the thread that I posted when I was considering using a sitter service in Hawaii. It hass alot of info with both pros and cons listed. I did get a nanny when we wenty and had a wonderful experience. I would definitely be specific about exactly what you are looking for in a "nanny". Also, as I did, have sitter come ahead of time (at least 1 hour)to watch them interact with your child instead of leaving your kids "cold turkey" with a total stranger. I told my kids that "Miss Lindsay" was their new playfriend and that she would be playing with them and helping mommy. It worked out great. I also said a little prayer to help us find the right nanny. It worked. Good luck and have a great trip.