Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Arches, and Colorado in the same trip?

Has anyone done Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bryce, Zion, Capital Reef, Arches, and Colorado in the same trip?

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on this trip in early August? Yellowstone for 2 days to see Old Faithful, Grand Geyser,the Falls and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Mud pots and Paint Pots,and Mammoth Hot Springs. Then move our RV to Grand Teton National Park where I don't have any plans but rafting Snake River and maybe horseback riding. Then taking 1 day to get to Bryce. Get up early to see the sunrise, and do the 18 mile scenic route then hike a couple trails. Leave that night to get to Zion to get an early start on a hike in Zion due to the heat we may encounter. Spend the night there and leave in the morning to head towards Capital Reef. I've got 5 days left and I need at least 2 full days from Colorado to get to MI. I don't have a good plan on what to do in Capital Reef or Arches or where to stay and how long. Again, at most I have 3 days to do this and maybe see or do something in Colorado (raft ride?)I know this seems like alot, but this maybe my only shot at using a friends 40ft RV and my 3 kids (13,12,11) are getting old enough that they won't want to take 2 weeks out of their summer to take a trip like this. Any ideas to make this doable with hitting the best of each area would be a huge help. Thanks! Mark
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Utahtea, if your out there, I hear your the one to talk to about Utah and RV information.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM

We did a 2 week camping trip out west from Ohio several years ago. We met friends at Custer State Park--be sure to camp here, it is beautiful. You drive through the Badlands, visit Mount Rushmore; there are also some caves nearby--Wind Cave??. We then headed to Yellowstone. At the time, you couldn't reserve campsites in the park--I'm pretty sure that you can now. We had 3 families so we reserved the very rustic cabins at Roosevelt Lodge for part of the visit and then the cabins at the Old Faithful Lodge for part of our stay. We then headed to the Grand Tetons where we had our favorite all time campsite. It was a tent only campground, no RVs. We had 3 sites right on a peninsula on the lake. We fell in love with the Tetons. We then headed to Rocky Mountain National Park for 2 nights and then drove home with a stop in Kansas City to visit relatives. The end of this trip was a lot of boring driving--actually the beginning of the trip has long driving days too. This trip was a full 2 weeks so I would think it would be hard to fit all your planned stops into a 2 week trip. If you try to do it all, everyone may be miserable.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:32 AM

This sounds like the Robin Williams movie from last year.

Driving all the way to Yellowstone to spend 2 days? You need to spend a week there to see it right.

Grand Tetons to Bryce in one day? It took us most of a day just to get to Salt Lake City a couple of years ago and that was in a Mercedes, not a 40 ft RV.

Utah is great but places like Capitol Reef will be very hot in August. I'd stick to just Wyoming and South Dakota.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
LHS

I still don't think you are planning enough travel time for an RV on slow mountain roads.

Not to mention your travels on the flatter lands sound like incredibly long days. First you say you'll go from MI to Yellowstone in 2 days, now CO to MI in 2?

Even though this is a one time deal with the RV, let your kids out of the RV to enjoy where you are.

You don't want the entire trip to be, "Hey kids, look out the window, did you see that? Oh, it's gone now."
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM

The more you drive, the less you see.