Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone done the lama hike in New Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-done-the-lama-hike-in-new-mexico-891754/)

schnookies May 21st, 2011 11:21 AM

Has anyone done the lama hike in New Mexico?

I've always wanted to see lamas and found out that there's a hike with lamas in NM.
Has anyone done this and do you recommend it? We're staying at Eldorado in Santa Fe and I think this hiking tour is in Taos? Do you think this is worth a day trip?

PortiaLucy May 21st, 2011 12:38 PM

We haven't done it yet but are signed up for it in early June. We booked it based on the Tripadvisor raves and the corroboration of the B&B owner where we're staying in Taos. Basically, the cuteness of the llamas in the pictures won me over. I'll try to post a report as soon as we get back.

schnookies May 21st, 2011 06:13 PM

I agree, they look so adorable! But I'll be there in a couple days and if I end up doing this tour, I'll post one too:)

SusanInToronto Jun 11th, 2011 12:10 PM

Llama trekking - sounds like fun. We're going to NM in late July / early August - might just be something we'll do.

ElendilPickle Jun 12th, 2011 10:01 PM

Friends of ours did the llama hike a couple of weeks ago and had a great time.

Lee Ann

PortiaLucy Jun 30th, 2011 01:28 PM

We're back and the llama trek was the highlight of the trip. Not only are the llamas cute, but they have attitude. My daughter and I still smile when we think about our shared llama Raja and the way he ate Milanos out of her hand one minute and gave me a wicked stare the next when I tried to pick a twig out of his thick coat.

Stuart (the owner and guide) is terrific. He's very knowledgeable about the area, its flora, and fauna, and he manages to travel up and down the line of trekkers making sure everyone is comfortable and learning something. And then there's lunch--a lovely healthy spread that is just what you need after a few hours of hiking uphill at altitude. It seems like the trek attracts nice, interesting, well-traveled people, so sharing tales over lunch was fun, too.

To be honest, we initially wondered how much value could be added to a hike by going with llamas, but this was one of the best vacation activities we've done.

DebitNM Jun 30th, 2011 01:45 PM

Where exactly did you trek?

sludick Jun 30th, 2011 02:01 PM

Lama hike???!!! How did I miss this one, I wonder? Schnookies and PortiaLucy, I'll be looking for your trip report for sure. Sounds like a good time (do they spit? like camels?)

PortiaLucy Jul 1st, 2011 03:50 AM

For us, the trek was into the Columbine-Hondo Wilderness of Carson National Forest. At other times of the year, they go down into a canyon, and Stuart also leads multi-day treks (www.llamaadventures.com). Our meeting spot was not far past Questa. Stuart brings the llamas to the trailhead, and you hike up along a pretty stream.

As for the llamas themselves, yes, they are camel relatives. They are herbivores and herd animals, so mostly they're docile and cute. Between their big brown eyes, rotating ears, and rubbery neck, they seem to have an endless number of expressions. I do confess, though, that when I tried to groom Raja (he was the only llama with a thick coat, since he doesn't like people messing with it), he did give me a look and spit a bit at me. I found it delightful, but I got the message. Otherwise he was a dear, and it seemed that all the other trekkers bonded with their beasts as well.

I should have my trip report up later today.

DebitNM Jul 1st, 2011 05:37 AM

:)