Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone broken up a trip cross country to CA from NY by staying in a halfway city?

Search

Has anyone broken up a trip cross country to CA from NY by staying in a halfway city?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were thinking of planning an LA trip and stopping in Vegas on the way down and either Dallas or Denver on the return. It's our way of seeing multiple cities in one trip. My opinion is to stay in Vegas 2 nights on the way down and just stay one night in either Dallas or Denver on the return. I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this type of a trip. Was it more of a hassle or worth it?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM

Driving or flying?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM

I would assume you're talking about flying because it would be crazy to only stop once driving! If you can manage the extra time and it doesn't cost any more, why not? It's not a case of worth it to anyone else. It's what YOU would like to do. I think Vegas makes sense if you've never been and 2 days is fine. I prefer flying Jet Blue and would probably pick a Jet Blue city on the return as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Dallas and Denver are both good suggestions for your return; but what about Chicago??
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we absolutely would be flying. I would consider jetblue, I have never flown with this carrier. I have been to Chicago twice and love the city but am looking to see new places.
I have been to Vegas too, I just figured since we are going all the way cross country-LV is always a fun place. Thanks for the responses.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I think my question is really "Is it exhausting and worth all the running around"?
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Hi noelle, Italian friends from Italy visited NYC (a return visit) and than planned to fly here to SF to visit my family and me. I suggested that they fly out of JFK via JetBlue and make a stop for a couple of nights in Las Vegas before flying to California. They did so and besides loving the airline they really enjoyed visiting Las Vegas and said two nights there was just perfect. Their JetBlue flight to CA stopped in Long Beach (if memory serves me correctly) and then flew to Oakland (right across the bay from SF).
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM

If you're set on 1 night only in one of the big cities then I would suggest doing your itn in reverse and here is why. When you are flying west-east you lose time before you get on a plane. 1 hour if it's Denver, 2 hours if it's Dallas. With only 1 night you won't have much time to begin with and then you are losing some of it.

Personally I would do 2 nights in either city. By the time you get out of the airport, get to your hotel, there won't be much time left on that day to really figure out what's what. Unless you just want a notch on your travel belt do 2 nights or at the very least do the itn in reverse. Dallas, Denver on the outbound(you gain some hours), Vegas on the inbound.

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Here's another recommendation for two nights. Especially if you will be continuing on early in the day.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou! I appreciate all the advice! I have never flown jetblue and can't wait to try it.