Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Has anyone been on a Hawaiin Cruise? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/has-anyone-been-on-a-hawaiin-cruise-334378/)

red_rocker Jul 7th, 2003 05:55 AM

Has anyone been on a Hawaiin Cruise?

Hi, I was thinking about going on a Royal Carribean 11 day Hawaiin Cruise for my honeymoon? Has anyone been on this before? Would you recommend this, or just a 2 week stay in Hawaii? Any info would be appreciated.

dln Jul 7th, 2003 06:25 AM

Red rocker, try the "cruise" section of this forum. You'll most likely have better luck with responses, and you'll find more info specific to your request. Happy honeymoon!

Budman Jul 7th, 2003 08:53 AM

Go for the cruise!! Royal Carribean is a very good cruise line with excellent food and service. You will get a flavor of several different Islands. Find one you like and go back for a week and rent a condo/villa on your first anniversary. ((b))

puddy Jul 7th, 2003 09:00 AM

Like DLN said, you will find more replies on the Cruise board.

With that said, I would say seriously consider the cruise if you know you like cruises. As Budman said, it seems like a great way to get a taste of many of the islands. However, if you have never taken a cruise, I would maybe just consider a 2 week stay on two or three islands.

Cruises aren't for everyone and since this trip is very special to you, you don't want to be disappointed in any way.

rwilliams Jul 7th, 2003 10:00 AM

Keep one thing in mind: Hawaii has the highest concentration of world class resorts in the world. You're passing up the opportunity to enjoy them by being on a boat.
As puddy said, if you know you like cruises, and if luxury resorts aren't all that big a deal to you, a cruise may be a great option for you.
But you won't get the same quality of food or have the same freedoms as when you're on a land vacation.

Suzie Jul 7th, 2003 10:29 AM

The 11 day cruises to Hawaii on the Radiance start in Vancouver and are at sea from Sat to Friday. You spend 1 day in port except for Maui which is 2 days. This doesn't give you much time to see the sites in Hawaii. If I had 2 weeks I'd stay in Maui for 1 week and Kauai for 1 week. Don't know what month you're going but if you stayed at the Hyatts on both Islands you'd have a terrific honeymoon!

beachkomer Jul 7th, 2003 04:34 PM

Hmmm, a honeymoon is the time for spending lots of quality time in the room....ordering room service, relaxing on your balcony, sipping wine....A tiny cruise cabin isn't the best way to experience that special time. I would skip the cruise and find two great resorts to relax at.
Most people on this board will direct you to the two best choices for a romantic honeymoon.

You will find each island very romantic. Keep doing the research, each island is different! Think about what you two enjoy doing, (besides honeymoon stuff) Hiking? Water sports?
Touring, or doing nothing? Then narrow down which island has the best of what you want to spend time doing.

I wouldn't like the ordeal of getting on and off the ship, when you can just step out onto your balcony each morning together, and enjoy waking up in a wonderful place. Get a large suite, great beach, not many kids, and enjoy! ... Wander down to the beach and snorkle, laze in the sun and then eventually... end up a dinner at your hotel....YOUR schedule, not some cruise ship.
Just my opinion. Take the cruise with your inlaws on your 10th anniversary, and remember fondly your special honeymoon on the islands.
You will love Hawaii!