Hartford or New Haven with teen/preteen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to CT this July and are trying to decide where to stay. 3 kids. son 13, daughter 11 and another who will be 22 months. I don't think they'll want to visit too many historic places but a few are OK. We have about 3 days and don't know if we should stay in Hartford or New Haven. We have to visit Stamford for a little(not long) and the rest we have to figure out.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Where are you coming from?? Maybe someplace with a beach close by instead of either Hartford or New Haven. How about Mystic area? See the seaport there.

Or area near Stamford?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34924195

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:41 PM
mjs

I would not stay in New Haven. Mystic would not be a bad choice. Perhaps somewhere between Mystic and Branford?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM

There is not too much going on in Hartford (or New Haven). I agree somewhere between Mystic and Branford would be good.

Try The Madison Beach Hotel (great restaurant there called The Wharf) or the motels in Old Saybrook/Essex.

Lots of great seafood shacks along Route 1 in this area.

Book early.

The kids might like an old time water amusement park called Lake Compounce in Bristol too. http://www.lakecompounce.com/

Also, Hammonasett Beach in Madsion. http://dep.state.ct.us/stateparks/parks/hammonasset.htm
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
What about Greenwich?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I certainly wouldn't stay in either city either. I would definitely stay on the shoreline somewhere between Essex/Old Saybrook and Branford. The drive to Stamford from these places would be an hour to an hour and a half depending on which town and time of day driving.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I agree with the others and don't think either Hartford or New haven would be ideal choices. But the ct shoreline is very pretty and perfect in July. You might want to try the Waters' edge resort which has 1 and 2 bedroom (maybe even 3) condos on premises. There are many places in mystic to stay as well.

if you need to be the in hartford or new haven area for some reason, there are certainly good hotels, but not "vacation spots".
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. We are coming from Nova Scotia. We get away for 10-14 days for quiet. Along the coast would be nice. I'll have to check it out.Lake Compounce sounds good for the kids. I have read the message boards before and gotten some good advice. I am very greatful for you help. It is better to get advice from people who have been there than just in a book or a website.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Lake Compounce is not along the shore. It is inbetween Danbury and Hartford. You could also base yourself in the Stamford area, and spend a day at the amusement park (less than an hour's drive). There are beaches along the local shore towns (Stamford, Norwalk, Westport) where you can pay a day fee. The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk is also a decent attraction, and you they have a boat trip you can sign up for that investigates sea life in the Sound. They drag nets, and then a marine scientist explains what they find in the catch. There is a great children's museum in Norwalk, too, which your older daughter will be on the tail end of age-wise, but still might enjoy, and certailny a great thing for your littlest one. The Stamford Musuem and Nature Center is perfect for your little one, with a wonderful nature playground and farm animals. Your oldest might be too old, but there are also walking trails there, too. Stamford has a variety of restaurants, a mall, and some other shopping areas; the neighboring town of New Canaan is also a nice New England village with a very walkable town center comprised mostly of local stores. You could also take the train for the day into New York City! If you like to hike, there are other options in the area, for example, Devil's Den in Westport. The different towns have outdoor concerts, plays, etc. at night in the summer, too.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM

wildfire-

Lake Compounce is just an amusement park. Fun for the kids yes, but I don't think I would necessarily make it a destination, and I certainly wouldn't stay anywhere in the Bristol area.

Mystic is a great area but the drive from there to Stamford would be more like two hours. Again the shoreline area that I mentioned earlier would allow you to travel to Mystic (1/2 hour at most drive) and to Stamford as well as enjoy the shoreline, which will be the coolest place to stay in CT in July. There is plenty to do around this area.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM

If anyone is a figure skating fan, and you happen to be around Hartford, you might want to stop in at the rinks at either Simsbury or Newington. Simsbury is a lovely "New England" town, but there's really not much for kids right there.

If you want something "cultural" while you're in CT, the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington (very near Hartford and Simsbury) might be a nice choice.

http://www.hillstead.org/plan/index.html
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM

Just thought of this. PT Barnum Museum in Bridgeport -- the kids will love it.

Take the ferry to Port Jefferson for the day. Had the best lobster at an outdoor restaurant right across from where the ferry docks in Port Jeff, don't remember the name though.

Madison is a good place to stay, nice beach.

Debi
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Skatedancer makes excellent points. Look at both areas and think about whether you want to go into NYC for the day.

In the Madison-Mystic area you have little New Engand towns, the Seaport and Aquarium, less traffic and wealth, CT's largest beach.

In the Norwalk-Stamford area you have easy access to Stamford and NYC plus the attractions skatedancer mentioned.

You can get to Lake Compounce for the day from either area.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM

*Devil's Den is in Weston, not Westport.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM

You can also do the PT Barnum Museum and the ferry to Port Jeff from the Stamford area, too. Not saying that it's better to stay in that area over a beach town farther up the coast, but just wanted to point out that you shouldn't dismiss a stay in Fairfield County out of hand.

Someone also topped an old report on CT towns for you. good idea!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM

The favorite trip for my kids is the boat trip around the Thimble Islands in Stoney Creek, which houses both tiny and grand homes and fascinating tales told by kid friendly sea captains. Captian Kid hid his boat here and all homes on his island are painted black and sport the Jolly Roger. Lovely village and health food/gourmet restaurant with porch overlooking harbor, also good for kids.
The Peabody Museum in New Haven has the best dinosaurs ever, and one of my friends helped to build the one outdoors that is two stories high and the largest cast sculpture in the world.
Can't recommend any hotels since everyone who visits stays with me, but both these destinations are within an hour of Stanford.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM

You do not want to stay in either city. The coastline is fine. If you want take day trips but not at night. New Haven is averaging a shooting death every two days ..... stay away !!!

Madison , Clinton , Essex , Guilford , Mystic all have clean , friendly and SAFE accommandations with a good beach and excellent restaurants really close.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Artbrut, can you give us information on how to get one of those boat rides around Thimble Islands? Sounds great! Is it something teens would like, or just little kids?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Check out The Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk--

www.maritimeaquarium.org

I am not sure if their cruises are to Thimble Islands or not.

It is a wonderful place for children.

Debi
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM

No, the Maritime A. cruise just stays in the waters near the Aquarium. It's a great experience, though, very engaging for the kids who help out with the work onboard to fish up the sea life.

there is also a boat in that area that goes out to an island with a lighthouse (Sheffield Island). It's always been on my list of things to do, but haven't done yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -