Harry Potter Premiere at Grauman's Chinese

Jun 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Harry Potter Premiere at Grauman's Chinese

Just realized my family, Girls ages 26, 22, 19, 18, 15 are going to be in LA (Marina Del Ray) the week of the US premiere. Is it worth going to see the event, or is it better to just stay away <Grin>? How early would you have to get there to see anything? Any advice? Anyway to find out who would be attending? BTW, they are HUGE Harry Potter fans!
Jun 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM

I'd do it! But then I'm a geek.
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM

Oh, I'd be there. A geek - excuse em, a dork reporting in (See the cool thread)
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM

When is it?
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM

Movie debuts July 11 in the States. That's a Wednesday. Guess it means midnight shows Tuesday night. Whoohoo!
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:54 AM

oh god. you probably need to get there the night before. Seriously. I went to a film at the tribeca film festival in NYC last year. Small movie starring rupert grint from harry potter, and laura linney. i, unfortunately had no idea who he was. Saw one of the Harry movies, but this name never clicked. He is harry's friend in the movie, not even harry himself. Anyway, there were about 300 screaming pre-teen girls there--hysterical and crying. I had a vip pass for the festival, and therefore, bypassed the line and got a decent seat for the movie. But, if i did not, i would have just gone home. I wouldn't even have gotten past the screaming girls to get into the theater it was so bad. so, if harry is going to be there, really, you need to camp out the day before.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

See if you can buy tickets ahead of time. If you can and can get them, then I say go for it.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I can buy ticket.s Usually a pretty formal affair with all the Stars and Celeb in attendence, I thought. I was thinking more of the viewing the "Red Carpet" entrances, or do they not do that any more?
Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

The US Premiere is July 8th. See http://www.manntheatres.com/premieres/upcoming.php
Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM

Ooh, I don't know why I wasn't thinking "red carpet" premiere. I'd *definitely* go! I'm always up for a spectacle.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM

I wasn't thinking "red carpet premier" either, I was thinking the first showings of the movie to the general public. If it is the red carpet thing, then I don't know. I imagine you'd have to get there very early to be able to see anything.
Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM

It will be a lot of fun. I've never been to a premiere there, but it's a fun place to see a movie. Be sure to get tickets to the main theater (aka Grauman's Chinese Theater, NOT Mann Chinese 6!) -it's spectacular. Mann Chinese 6 were added in a recent remodel and it's your basic movie plex instead of the grand old theater.

If you can't get in the Chinese, the Egyptian or the Cinerama Dome are good places to catch a movie in Hollywood. I especially recommend the Cinerama for watching movies with the 'industry' - it's little known outside the area, but justly famous in the area.
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM

The US Premiere is on the 8th of July. The official announcement:

WHO: From the film: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and more to come. Celebrity guests to follow.

WHEN: Sunday, July 8, 2007
Crew Arrivals: 2:00PM
Celebrity Arrivals: 3:30PM
Screening: 5:00PM

WHERE: Grauman's Chinese Theatre
6925 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood

The next day there will be another fun event:

Young stars Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson from the HARRY POTTER franchise are to be honored with a hand, foot and wand-print ceremony at Graumanís Chinese Theatre while in Los Angeles for the US premiere of HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX.

The famous trio are scheduled to take part in the time honored ceremony on Monday, July 9 at 11:30 AM Pacific outside the theater at 6925 Hollywood Boulevard. Crew Arrivals: 10:00AM; Ceremony: 11:30AM

We happened to be in London on the night of the second Matrix Premiere at the Odeon--so we went over at the request of my son. Thousands of people, but it was cool. They had the soundtrack playing outside and the whole front was done in green "rain" in lights, and they were giving out all kinds of goodies--we snagged an umbrella.

I expect you'd have to be there very early to camp out for a good enough spot to actually see any of the celebs arriving. That said, they do "work" the red carpet, waving at everybody to get as much attention as possible. Lots of celebs brought their kids to the last premieres.

The official movie release has been moved up to July 11 here in the US. You may be able to get tickets for that somewhere. The first show will be at midnight on the 10th.