Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Harrisburg nite out (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/harrisburg-nite-out-480791/)

leahinsc Oct 16th, 2004 10:30 PM

Harrisburg nite out

We will be visiting my sister & b-in-law over Thanksgiving in Harrisburg. They have just moved there and don't know the town etc too well. Any suggestions on somewhere to go on a Friday evening for a drink/appetizers that would be a little nicer or interesting?

cheapbutnice Oct 18th, 2004 07:06 AM

On the eastern side of HBG. is a small town called Mt. Gretna.It would be an easy 20 minute drive thru Hershey and pretty farmland.Go before dark and walk around the quiet town (a Victorian village in the woods)to see the houses.Follow with dinner at the casual Hideaway, which takes reservations.Good food at reasonable prices and a good way to see the area!

DeborahB Oct 18th, 2004 09:45 AM

Mt. Gretna is nice. They've also been doing alot of improvements to downtown Harrisburg. Alot of good restaraunts on 2nd St. I'm sure others will be able to provide more info.

Retired_teacher Oct 18th, 2004 11:14 AM

You might want to consider the Olde Greenfield Inn on Greenfield Road just a quarter mile from the Visitors Center. It's a quaint restored stone farmhouse that features a piano lounge on Friday evening. The Netherlands Inn & Spa (formerly the Historic Strasburg Inn) in Strasburg has a bistro that would also provide you with a fine dining experience. Both facilities are located on the east side of town off Route 30.

cheapbutnice Oct 18th, 2004 11:46 AM

Please be aware that the Olde Greenfield Inn is a great recommendation but it is located in Lancaster about 40 minutes east of Harrisburg.Might be a great time to see what is left of the Amish Country after the fall tourist rush is over.

Retired_teacher Oct 18th, 2004 01:13 PM

Oops, I was confusing Lancaster and Harrisburg..... I'm so sorry!

leahinsc Oct 18th, 2004 01:19 PM

Dear Retired Teacher, that's ok:) We may be down in that area w/ our kids on Sat so will keep your recommendation in mind. leah

tracysniscak Oct 18th, 2004 01:25 PM

I moved to the Hburg area within the past year so I am familiar with their situation! I was pleasantly surprised that there is decent nightlife on 2nd street - Mars and NOMA are my two favorites with more of a chillout atmosphere. Fisaga's is also popular. And there's a new Irish bar called Molly Branigans that's a lot of fun. These are all on 2md street as well as other bars so I'd say that's your best bet!

travelrn Oct 18th, 2004 01:30 PM

We are from the Harrisburg area...will also be in town over Thanksgiving. We will be going to 2nd street in downtown Harrisburg..good bars/restaurants all along 2nd street..you can park in a garage and pretty much walk to a variety of places. Happy Holidays!

Retired_teacher Oct 20th, 2004 02:51 AM

Oh my goodness, you didn't say you have children........ You should really go to Lancaster County on Saturday! Your kids would love the Hands-on House Children's Museum (Lancaster), the National Christmas Center (Paradise), and the Choo Choo Barn and National Toy Train Museum (both in Strausburg). If you're not too tired at the end of the day, you can stop at the Olde Greenfield Inn just off Route 30 west on the way back to Harrisburg. This facility welcomes well behaved children and does offer a children's menu.