Car rentals in Anchorage

Search

Car rentals in Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rentals in Anchorage

Anyone have experience with reliable and reasonable car rental companies in Anchorage. We plan to drive from Anchorage to Seward and other nearby sights.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM

We rented from a couple well known companies. Last summer from Alamo. We also have a car booked for July from Alamo. However we booked our car in September 2002 for July 2003. The same car costs now twice.
Anyway some people are not crazy about Alamo but we never had a problem with this company or cars we rented from them. Alamo's cars are right in the airport parking lot. And Hertz, National, Budget have cars there too.
Old May 10th, 2003, 10:40 AM

lila, all of the majors excepting Enterprise are in Anchorage...as well as some of the minors.

I've said it many times before in this forum that Affordable is probably the best overall value for rental cars out of Anchorage. This time however, I'll try to add my reasoning a bit.

First off, they are away from the airport (barely). If you are going to be staying at a local hotel, you can have the hotel shuttle pick you up and then get the rental agency to pick you up at the hotel. This saves 10% over the airport vendors. If you have an off-airport agency pick you up at the airport, the savings on the "fee" is only 2% as the airport charges 8% for that service.

Secondly, Affordable New Car Rental has the most liberal driving restrictions with regard to the unpaved surfaces in Alaska. They are noted for allowing their vehicles on certain roadways that are expressly forbidden by most, if not all of the other agencies with comparable fleets.

Then, in the summer, they have extended hours. Which means that you won't be arriving or leaving too late for service. Too, since most all of your traveling will be done during these hours, you should most always have access to a CSR via the telephone should you need assistance...such as, "I hit a moose." Or, "I'd like to add a day to my contract."

Finally, the agency, like most of the majors, uses newer model vehicles. This benefits you in so many ways as cannot be counted. But primarily in that new cars generally come with 24 hour roadside assistance from the manufacturer. Some of these even offer help for keys locked in car! Which, if you are miles from a legitimate service area, this comes in rather handy.

You might try writing to them at [email protected] for specifics.

Old May 10th, 2003, 10:51 AM

My dear late friend got overcharged ($450)last August by Affordable. Not only she had to deal with her cancer (her last wish was trip to Alaska) but she had to dispute these charges. It wasn't easy and I don't even know whether she was able to get her refund before she died two days after Thanksgiving
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Gina, $450.00 in an overcharge? That's a story I'd like to hear. Sounds like there might be more to it than your friend divulged...or possibly understood.

Not to make light of your friend's integrity, or dismiss that there may have been a problem, but, $450.00 is a VERY strange "overcharge."

I worked in the car rental industry for many years. Including as a direct competitor with Affordable. That is to say, I know these people really well. They are not cheats. There is more to this story. I'd really like to know the particulars here.
Old May 11th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Well, without my friend Ann being around anymore I cannot provide you with more details.

So because you work for a car rental agency, you know well that in Anchorage prices may double in a few months. At least this is our personal expreience.

Ann's reservation had been lost (?) by a computer system and regardless of the printout she had with her a clerk did not honor it and she had to take a car for a higher price. I know you will probably say she shouldn't but think about her state of health at that time. Did she need any more problems to deal with?
More details are with Ann in her grave in NJ
Old May 11th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Gina, to clarify, I no longer work in the rental industry, but I do understand it fairly well.

Lost reservations do happen at the rental agency on occasion. Upgrades to rental software, improper backups and etc.

More often than not however, the "lost reservation" never makes it to the agencies database and is either travel agent error, or miscommunication.

I can tell you for a fact that I have personally seen itineraries generated at travel agencies that named my company as vendor. But, the confirmation number shown was for another.

It is true that rental prices in Alaska skyrocket during the peak days of summer. And, the reason has been discussed in this forum in the past. Suffice to say, the profits in the car rental sector tend to linger right around 12% for the successful individual franchise in this market.

I have to pay the prices too. Since I choose to vacation in Alaska (even though I live here), I am not free from the seasonal economy that effects not only cars, but rooms, and even retail merchandise.

As a post script, when I was General Manager at U-SAVE, I very clearly remember a lady coming to the counter claiming to have both cancer and a confirmed reservation. I'm not sure of the malady, but, I am sure she did not have the latter. In the industry you hear these things frequently. Maybe some of you have been in line behind such customers? Some may be legitimate misunderstandings..... others are working their own scams. In either case, a good rental agent is going to limit the companies risk.
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Unfortunately my friend is dead so she is not able to defend herself.

I understand your postition but Ann did not fake her illness or counted on any special treatment. The end
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:25 AM

And now let's help Lila. Any more travelers who would like to share their car rental experiences in Alaska?
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Please help! Affortable is sold out!
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM

I rented from Hertz (downtown) and got a very reasonable rate. Do you have AAA? If so, use the discount.
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:32 AM

My second choice would be Thrifty which is also locally owned and operated.
Old May 14th, 2003, 05:05 AM

Even though Affordable will allow gravel driving (I have rented from them) BE CERTAIN to clairfy IN WRITING what your insurance libilities are. My insurance considers this off road and hence no coverage, credit card secondary coverage usually is void as well. As for other companies- I have rented from Dollar, Payless, Thrifty as well as a few independents. All have airport shuttles or offices down from bagage claim.
Old May 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM

If you are driving south from Anchorage there are few places you are going to want to go that are not paved. Don't think that would be a problem. Have you tried Priceline or Hotwire?