Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Happy New Year!! And some advice Please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/happy-new-year-and-some-advice-please-819603/)

millie2112 Dec 31st, 2009 07:37 PM

Happy New Year!! And some advice Please.

Ever since I was a lot younger I have always wanted to go to New York. So 2010 is now the year. Even more so because I will be 50 in December and I would like be in New York for my birthday.
Here is my problem and I would appreciate some advice. Travelling to New York will be me, my husband, 17 year old son, 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend(5)

1) If we leave Melbourne on 14th December and fly out one week later, airfare = $3000 - so now not an option

2) If we leave Melbourne on the 9th of December and fly out on the 22nd, airfare = $1870
However we will be in New York for 5 days longer and of course have to pay for extra accomodation. And as we are 5 it will be more expensive. But added to this is my husband who is now hesitant because he says it will be very cold - and need to take lots of layers, jackets etc. In Melbourne we do not have really cold weather. Does not really get below 50F in the winter months.
We could do a stop over in LA but I was there in 1996 and it does not really appeal.
We could do other things from New York - but what at this time of the year??

3) Or do we shelve going in December and book around the 11th Of September for 10 days. airfare is now $2320 and as it is less cold we could go elsewhere. Perhaps go on a trip to Washington, or Boston. But of course not there for my birthday.

I am not sure what is best for a first timer. I do need to book really soon, because the flights I am quoting are the cheaper flights which get snapped up very quick.

4) Now to accomodation - I am looking at 'The Beacon', 'The Metro Hotel' or VRBO/115235
Beacon - good location
Metro - central and has breakfast - great for husband and son
VRBO/115235 - able to accomodate us all

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to decide and my husband is no help as he really does not want to go anywhere):

Happy New Year to all!!!

djkbooks Dec 31st, 2009 07:57 PM

Well, I would just say that by the time I was 50, it was no longer important to celebrate on my actual birthday. So, if you don't care for cold/dreary weather, why not take your trip when the weather (and or the air fares) are much more favorable to you?

September would be much more pleasant, and you'd probably receive more favorable hotel rates because the rates increase considerably for October (conventions) and November-December (for the holidays).

It's interesting that you mention September 11th. For many years (not sure if this is still true) fares were always much lower that particular day (and also the 13th of any month, especially if on a Friday).

The weather is not significantly different in Boston or Washington, DC, except that DC is hotter/more humid in summer and (usually) has less chance of lots of snow in winter.

ellenem Dec 31st, 2009 09:42 PM

Apartments rentals in general in NYC, including VRBO, are not recommended since most apartments cannot be rented for less than a month legally. There are many scams on the internet for nonexistent apartments (including VRBO which can be fine in other cities). Even if the apartment does exist, very few are legal to rent so if something goes wrong you will have little or no recourse. Check references carefully. And then pray. Or book a hotel or legal place such as Radio City Apartments.

If you are already concerned about the cold weather, then it may not be a good idea to visit in December. Also, the time period you mention is one of the most expensive times to book a hotel in the entire year. As djkbooks said, September would offer better weather and better prices.

SusieQQ Jan 1st, 2010 02:21 AM

Please listen to elenem's advise: DO NOT RENT AN APARTMENT! There are hotels such as affinia.com or as she said Radio City apartments which offer suites with kitchens.
IMHO September would be the best weather-wise and since you have concerns in this regard, then Sept. it should be, but don't try to do another city...New York has so much to offer than you'll never see everything in 10 days.

lcuy Jan 1st, 2010 03:06 AM

New York can feel brutally cold to someone like you from a warm climate. I would go in September. Less clothing needed, you can do more walking, and hotels may be less expensive.

If not, consider the LA stopover. There are a lot of great things to do in LA, and it is much less expensive than NYC. This way you could have your NYC trip, but not have to spend such a long time in the cold. If you want to do this, come back to this forum and get advice on LA.

I often find that it isn't the destination as much as my preparation that determines how much I like a city.

Bowsprit Jan 1st, 2010 05:20 AM

If budget is your biggest concern, then plan to go anytime other than just before Christmas (one of the busiest and most expensive times to visit NYC).

September weather is generally fabulous; we've also had great weather in the city in February! You can check wunderground.com for historic weather patterns, but NYC weather is highly changeable. I just dress for the weather of my City destination (weather doesn't mean that much to us if we're visiting a City as opposed to a resort area) and look for flights and hotels that are in our budget.

RCA or the Affinia's would give you everything your large group needs. Short term apt. rentals in NYC are largely illegal, with few exceptions. Apt. scams, however, are flourishing.

Another option: Do you have any interest in visiting Las Vegas?

HowardR Jan 1st, 2010 05:27 AM

Great weather in February in New York??????????? Are you kidding. That's usually the coldest month of the year?

nytraveler Jan 1st, 2010 06:24 AM

In December 50 would be unexpectedly warm for NYC. Highs are typically in the high 30's and lows often below freezing (we've already had snow 4 times this year- once about 10" - and it's expected again tomorrow and Sunday). On top of that the situation on a huge harbor and between 2 rivers, means that it is often also damp and the tall buildings funnel winds down the streets - so night time windchills can easily hit zero (farenheit). To visit you will need winter weight coats, hats gloves, scarfs and waterproof booties with non-skid rubber soles (for sleet or ice).

Sorry - we're in a temperate climate zone and have a real winter.

I would strongly suggest you come much earlier (late Sept or early Oct) for 3 reasons - the weather will be much more conducive to a lot of walking (necessary in NYC), you won;t have to spend a fortune on winter clothes you won;t need again - and hotel rates will be cheaper (Dec is the most expensive time of year).

NYC fire laws limit hotel room occupancy to 4 people - so you would need either 2 rooms - presumably one for daughter and boyfriend - or a suite. Neither will be cheap even in Sept/Oct - but will be much more in Dec.

If you can get the Beacon in your budget I would grab it. It's a reasonable hotel in a great neighborhood (mid/upscale residential, tons of great inexpensive/moderate restaurants, right next to Central Park, close to many of the major museums and 2 subway lines so easy access to the rest of the city).

I don;t reco apartments in NYC - since many are either fakes or not as advertised. Most are illegal - which can be uncomfortable (if you have to pretend you are someone
s visiting relatives). And unless you have someone on the spot to check the place out you won;t k now if it's a 5th floor walk-up, what type of security it has etc - even if it does exist. (VRBO is better than Craig's list - but not guaranteed.

Assuming the VRBO is legitimate I would have a couple of questions. What are the sleeping arrangements? This is not clear. It look like one apartment - for $3400 would have 2 bedrooms, each with a large bed and possibly a sleep sofa in the LR. They mention one kitchen - which would have to be shared with people in the other apartment - if it is rented. Which means people renting the other rooms might have access to your belongings. And the description plays fast and loose with the facts. They say access to 2 different subways. That's impossible - there is only 1 subway on the east side. What they mean is that they are located equally from 2 stations - the 79th St (local) and the 86th St (local and express) of the Lex Ave line. If they are fudging these facts - what else haven't they told you about the apartment?

For alternate lodging choices you might consider Radio City Apartments (great location midtown) or the affinia group (a group of several moderately priced all suite hotels with a variety of suite configurations).

ellenem Jan 1st, 2010 06:58 AM

I've just checked the VRBO apartment you mentioned. I don't understand nytraveler's confusion. From the description, it seems apparent that a family owns the entire building and has renovated two floors for rental, each floor featuring an identical four-bedroom apartment. If this is true, then this is one of the few situations in which a short-term rental would be legal: small building with apartments for rent by owner. Note that the most recent review is more than 1.5 years old. Check references carefully.

nytraveler Jan 1st, 2010 09:59 AM

The reason the VRBO is unclear is that they describe the building as a brownstone on a sidestreet in the east 80's - an area I lived in for almost 10 years. Typically when brownstones are divided into one apartment per floor the apartment has one large bedroom or 2 small ones. For a building to have each floor have 4 bedrooms plus a kitchen and den it would have to be enormous - much larger than a regular brownstone building.

Perhaps it is in fact a private mansion - but typically those buildings are down in the 60's not in the 80's.

Before renting something like this I would ask for very specific info about each bedroom - the size, type of bed - and get names of recent renters to check on their experiences.

sf7307 Jan 1st, 2010 10:43 AM

<<< If this is true, then this is one of the few situations in which a short-term rental would be legal: small building with apartments for rent by owner. >>>

It might not be an "illegal sublet" (meaning the lease or coop rules prohibit short-term leasing) but out of curiosity isn't it still at least technically illegal since it's being operated as a "hotel" presumably without a hotel license and without collecting hotel tax?

ellenem Jan 1st, 2010 11:36 AM

I based my assumptions solely on the description and floor plan provided, which showed the bedrooms as described. Some brownstones and townhouses are deeper than others and might accommodate the floor plan indicated. Or the rooms could indeed be incredibly small.

With only two units it may not be subject to the same regulations as a larger hotel complex. Similarly, residential buildings of only a few units have different requirements than larger apartment buildings. We can't know how they are handling their taxes--might be included in the price.

In any case, I agree I'd want first-hand recent references before I'd commit to this.

mclaurie Jan 1st, 2010 02:40 PM

I have recommended this apt. several times on this forum as a decent place for larger families. I know it's legitimate and I think it's "legal" to the extent that the owners live in the building. But you should know that you have to walk through one bedroom to get to another so maybe not as private as you would like.

I think since it's YOUR birthday, you should decide what YOU would like first. Are you sure everyone has to come along? Do you really have to pay for everyone? I know it's not my business, but it seems a bit much to me. Maybe you and husband should come to be here ON your birthday and leave kids home-or make the b'day trip with family closer to home and do NYC as a couple at another time.

As for hotels, you should know that prices for hotels in Dec. up to about Dec. 18th are quite high. Prices in Sept./Oct. can also be high unless you come the first week in September before our Labor Day weekend. I see prices of around $2,000US for flying end 'Aug/beg Sept. If you can manage to come then, I'd highly recommend that as an ideal time to get good hotel deals and good weather.

If you do want to come in Dec. and are looking for ways to make it cheaper, I wonder if you could fly later and be here during Xmas would help.

SusieQQ Jan 1st, 2010 04:37 PM

If they are not collecting the taxes required in NYC then it is illegal!

nytraveler Jan 1st, 2010 04:38 PM

It would still be illegal since there are many different requirements in fire and building codes for anyplace that is used for short-term rentals. But - if a single family owns the entire building the chance of this being enforced is slim to none. And having tiny bedrooms opening out of each other in a line might be realistic for a brownstone.

But - I have several friends who have entire floors in a brownstone - and each is typically a nice size LR, a nice size BR (queen bed) and small kitchen and hall and a large walk-in closet. (Some people put bunk beds in the walk-in closet - no window - and use for 1 or 2 small kids.)

NeoPatrick Jan 1st, 2010 04:55 PM

I'll be the first to agree that apartment renting in New York can be much trickier than most other places, but I get a little tired of the "absoutely do not rent an apartment" statement. There ARE some legitimate rentals, and unless someone touting Affina and other hotels can come up with a four bedroom, three bath suite that sleeps 8 with a separate bedroom and kitchen for $499 a night, I think they should back off the general "they are all rip off" sort of posts.

I have rented several perfectly legitimate apartments in NYC and loved them. Sure, you have to do your homework, but they can be a great alternative and huge savings, especially for a group, over hotels.

Bowsprit Jan 3rd, 2010 03:02 PM

HowardR: Is February the coldest month in NYC? Can't prove it by me, because we've been there for long Feb. weekends 2 years running and the weather was spring like; mid to high '60's. Conversely, we were in the City for 'A Taste of Brooklyn' pizza tour the week after Thanksgiving last year and froze our socks off.

What I really meant was, asking about New York City winter weather (the poster asked about Dec. weather) is kind of like asking 'how long is a piece of string'? There's no answer concrete enough to plan a trip around. If budget is the issue, Feb. visits can provide great deals on hotels. Now, September is another kettle of fish, completely. Generally lovely weather and higher, much higher hotel rates.

Apartments: Who wants to cook and clean on vacation, anyway?? I'd much rather avoid the whole legal/illegal issue (probably illegal anyway) and book rooms in my budget during a time when I could experience NYC fully.

If you really want to go about checking on legality of apts. (who wants to do That while planning a vacation? not me.): You can always go on the Department of Buildings website and check for complaints. But don't forget to check, specifically, 'Standing of Complaint'. Anyone can call the dept. of bldgs. and make a complaint against Any nyc building so you need to go beyond that and check the 'standing'. Legal lodging choices require a 'Certificate of Authority'. You can't see the confidential number on it (sort of like a social security number) but you can ask to see a copy of the Certificate with the number blacked out. Check to see if the place is J2 or not or whatever. NYC housing is tricky tricky tricky and requires more resources than I possess to figure out. Good luck with everything. And Happy 50th!

Bowsprit Jan 3rd, 2010 03:15 PM

You can to to nyc.gov for questions regarding occupancy requirements, complaints, etc.

Bowsprit Jan 3rd, 2010 03:51 PM

Should be: you can 'go' to nyc.gov with questions re. occupancy requirements.

HowardR Jan 3rd, 2010 04:32 PM

Bowsprit, you were very lucky with the weather....very, very lucky. Over the long run--or shall I say, "normally"--February is the coldest month.