Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Happened in NYC but could happen anywhere - restaurant "special" price bump - this is irritating!

Search

Happened in NYC but could happen anywhere - restaurant "special" price bump - this is irritating!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from a short business trip to my favorite place - NYC. Had dinner by myself Friday night and decided to try and Argentian Italian restaurant, Il Campanello, on West 31st Street. I stumbled across it by accident the previous evening when walking to my hotel and it looked nice enough so off I went the following evening for a meal.

Most of the pasta dishes were $12 - $13 and the chicken dishes were all in the $14 - $15 range with no exceptions. The waiter mentioned the dinner specials and a chicken dish with sausage, peas and a brown sauce sounded appealing so I ordered it. Imagine my surprise when the bill arrived and the entree was $19!!! I typically always ask the price of any special before ordering and suppose it was my own fault for failing to do so this time but come on.... get real.... a $4 upcharge because it was the "special"? Am I being naive or unrealistic to think that it should be approximately the same price range or perhaps a $1 or $2 more at most than all the other comparable chicken dishes on the menu? Have others of you encountered this as a trend or practice in places where you've dined recently, NYC or otherwise? Just curious....
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:22 AM

They do it at some of the better restaurants in Toronto too! Heck, they probably do it in most big cities.

I prefer when they tell you the price after the description of the special - some probably find this practice vulgar but then again, I have not dined in a restaurant where they leave off the prices completely (well maybe once, but that was only on the "ladies" menu and was some years ago).

I would suggest that if it is important for you - ask next time - then no surprises when the bill arrives!

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Owen, my usual retort in an unfamiliar restaurant to an oral recitation of a list of 'specials' where the price is not included is to ask, "are they free?"

To me, the fact that a price is not mentioned despite a 45-second description of a veal dish with garbonzo beans in a red curry sauce with a (you get the picture) is a clue that it will, in fact, be priced at a premium to what's on the menu. If I'm interested, I'll ask the price or ask if the specials are printed out for my perusal (in about one case in ten, they are).

The practice is not limited to New York by any means, but does seem to be more the province of "upscale" establishments.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Yes, Owen, I think you are being naive, which surprises me. I'm surprised because I really don't picture you as a naive tourist when you come back to NYC!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:55 AM
gyppielou

but was it yummy?

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I always expect the Specials to be MORE expensive! That apparently is what makes them special~
Some restaurants (maybe the better ones) will automatically quote the price after the description of the dish, but if a budget is in mind, it is fine to just ask how much is that?
Bummer, Owen! Hope it didn't put you off the whole city
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I would always expect the specials to be a substantial upcharge, especially a dish with 2 meats in comparison to a standard chicken marsala or something like that.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:04 AM

I say it happens everywhere...
I stay in lot's of 4 and 5 star hotels and one of my favorite tricks is the 4 dollar glass of OJ in the morning.
They have actually poured it without my permission and hit my bill with the charge, which I promptly make them remove.
There are even some truck stop diners that use this trick. Beware of the gal carrying the pitcher of OJ. She earns more for the restaurant than anyone else!
Also, in Northern US cities many restaurants will charge you 3.50 (or whatever) for every glass of Tea or Coke you have. This is unheard of in the South!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM
wow

I agree. Very irritating to be hit w/ the "hidden costs". How about the places (restaurants, private golf clubs)that advertise "Thanksgiving Brunch: $15.00 per person". They do not tell you that this p/p does not include juice, coffee, tea, milk, Coke etc. Last time I took my family out for Thanksgiving Brunch the "drink"(non alcoholic) bill was exhorbitant!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Yes, TxTravelPro,
After living in NYC for so long, when we go south, I always get a pleasant surprise when the waitperson refills our ice teas without charge.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Scarlett, you just go to the wrong restaurants in New York!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Thanks Howard
I guess I have to keep going every night until I find the right ones !
Who wants to cook anyway LOL~
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM

After reading this post again, I realize that I'd be kinda frustrated, too. When I go to an expensive restaurant, I'd prefer as little mention of the prices as possible and most great restaurants will have special menus for the women with no prices on them. I think that's very classy. But when an ordinary place doesn't specify the prices on the specials, I think thats kinda obnoxious. When paying $100+ a head for a meal, the extra $25 for the lobster special should be no big deal and it would be tacky for the waiter/tress to point that out but when someone is eating at a place with $12 entrees, maybe they are on a budget or a limited travel expense per diem, and that extra $6 is significant. So, Owen, while I do see some naivetee (sp?) I think you have a right to feel a bit disenchanted by this place. I think they should just publish a specials menu with the prices on there.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I'm old enough to remember when the term "special" at a restaurant meant something for a lower than normal price. But today the term usually refers to something out of the ordinary that the chef has prepared with market items that might not always be available or that takes extra preparation, so I expect today's "specials" to usually be more expensive. I don't think the extra $4 or so was the least bit out of line.

Interestingly, I recently read an article I think in Travel and Leisure about the Registry Resort here in Naples, Florida. The critic asked the wait person at the supposedly very upscale restaurant, "are there any specials tonight?" to which the waitress casually said, "no everything is the same price as usual". Ah, such training!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I have a friend who always asks the price of the special and I really admire her for that. A couple of years ago, I had dinner at a steakhouse where the entrees were between $20 - 25. I ordered Surf & Turf, didn't ask the price and was stunned when the check came - my entree was $47!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:18 AM

I agree with Patrick and Scarlett - I expect specials to be somewhat more expensive than the general menu items. Like Neal, I also get a little irked when the price isn't volunteered and don't hesitate to ask, usually attempting (and probably failing, given my lack of thespian skills) a tone of voice that suggests I shouldn't have to be asking.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:26 AM

In my experience, "specials" are often priced higher than anything on the printed menu, and prices are almost never mentioned during the recitation.

Not only do you almost always have to inquire about the price, we miss most of the lengthy description either because the room is noisy or the wait person is rushing through them. I can never remember any of them by the time the recitation is over.

It makes much more sense to have a printed list of "specials" for the evening, with descriptions, and prices, the patron can peruse at their leisure.

Too often, I've made up my mind from the menu, then have to re-consider when the specials are presented.

My biggest peeve, though, is having to listen to that list over and over again during our meal as it is recited all around us.

In my opinion, restaurants are loud enough these days without having to listen to all the servers recite specials all during your visit.

Anyone remember that episode of Candid Camera where a waitress kept going on and on and on listing "tonight's specials" when all the folks wanted to do was order?

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:26 AM

Loki wrote:
" and most great restaurants will have special menus for the women with no prices on them."
Loki, I've heard of this but NEVER seen it - and I've visited my share of great restaurants...do they still do this? When and where?

And by the way, I understand (but DO NOT LIKE) the practice of printing a fancy drink menu, with wine prices listed (glass or bottle) yet the beers and cocktails you just have to guess at - or ask...hmmm guess they're ashamed!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:52 AM

... most great restaurants will have special menus for the women with no prices on them. I think that's very classy... Hello - its the 21th century. Why shouldn't a woman know what the price of something is? I've seen it at the Seasons restaurant in Boston about 6 years ago. Its a gross assumption to assume that the MAN is going to be paying for a meal. (Especially since I was buying to celebrate my DH's promotion)

Reminds me of when I went out with my husband to celebrate MY promotion. We ordered champagne and the waitress asked if we were celebrating an anniversary. We simultaneously said "No, a promotion". She immediately turns to my husband and says congratulations to HIM. But that same waitress sat right down at our table and proceeded to tell us how tired she was. Not surprisingly the next time we saw this waitress she was no longer working at the nice restaurant but at a dive bar across the street.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Would probably be considered uncouth, but I'd probably ask the price if any of the specials appealed to me. (Seems like "features" would be a closer description than "specials.")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -